Subject: Re: [TI994A] ftp.whtech.com torrent

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 17:54:32 EST

Tony,
 
My set of CDs is from 2/1/2005
 
Bob  Carmany

In a message dated 11/3/2009 5:18:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I think it's time to resurrect this idea now that there are  more members 
here than the original few when I first brought it  up.

First of all, I've been in contact with Don O'Neil regarding the  idea.
He has given the ok to distribute the files from ftp.whtech.com in a  
torrent, including the directory structure.

Why do this? So an  individual can easily have all the files from the site 
on their pc in the same  directory structure as the site, without the effort 
involved to download each  file individually from the site. 

I assume some of you don't know what  a torrent is, so here's the basic 
idea:

It's a file sharing  system.
There's a 'control' file that the user downloads, it's got a  .torrent file 
extension, which includes the information about all the files in  the 
torrent. It's generally a small file.
The user loads the .torrent file  into their torrent client, or program. I 
use "utorrent", as it seems to be the  best one for large groups of files.
That's basically all you have to do.  The torrent client creates the 
directory structure in a directory of your  choice, downloads all the files in the 
torrent from other torrent participants  and allows you to upload the files 
you have to the others. 
As files are  added to the website, the torrent can be easily updated so 
users can download  only the updated files.

So in order to get this started, we need  willing participants, hopefully 
one of which already has all the files from  the site.
That person will be the initial "seeder" or uploader. Once  several users 
have the completed torrent, downloading becomes extremely  fast.

I've heard from a few members already. Bob C has an older set of  CD's 
which we can use to get started if we have to, but an up-to-date set is  
preferable. Richard B as well as myself have volunteered to be 24/7  seeders.

So who can help with the project?

Tony

------------------------------------

Yahoo!  Groups Links