Subject: Re: [TI994A] Spillover (was: Sad side-effect of this group)

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:01:30 -0500

I agree Katsten.  Atariage could really be a good resource for us...  
Well, us game developers anyway.  I doubt many hardware fellas could  
benefit from sharing tips with Atari guys... But MSX/CV guys... Don't  
we have a little bit in common with them?  :)

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 17, 2009, at 12:30 PM, "kabldb" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> There's already 2 dedicated "super"-forums ...
>
> The forum at 99er.net
> http://www.99er.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi
>
> and
>
> the forum at ti99ers.org
> http://www.ti99ers.org/smf/index.php
>
> Still I think a TI sub-forum at atariage.com would have a desirable  
> "spillover" effect between platforms.
>
> :-)
>
> --- In [email-masked], Owen Brand <owenbrand@...> wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if a "Super Forum" could be achieved...
> > ...
>
>

---

From: tursi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:01:40 -0800 (PST)

> I agree Katsten.  Atariage could really be a good resource for us... Well, us game developers anyway.  I doubt many
> hardware fellas could benefit from sharing tips with Atari guys... But MSX/CV guys... Don't we have a little bit in common
> with them?  :) 

I'm disappointed by the growing impression of "hardware versus 
software".... there's not all that much going on in either camp, and at 
any given time, one generally is posting more than the other. There's been 
a lot of hardware stuff lately because a couple of people are taking the 
plunge, learning how it works, and producing product for the community. 
There was a lot of software talk before that, like when Owen was learning 
how to write Lemonade stand. And there's plenty of support talk in the 
middle, for instance with Bill's efforts to improve his systems. So far as 
I can tell, it's often the same people in all conversations, but even at 
AtariAge people are talking about "the hardware guys" dominating the 
groups.

We're not THAT big a group that there's so much specialization going on. 
:)

Anyway.. cross-pollination is always good. Sure, we don't share much 
hardware with the Atari 800, but the concepts may be useful, and their 
solutions to problems may be analogous to problems we face. Never hurts to 
share ideas. And yeah, MSX and ColecoVision are basically TIs with a Z80 
instead of a 9900. ;)

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:18:34 -0500

You're right Tursi...  When I use the term "hardware guys," I am not  
necessarily talking about a specific group of people on the list who  
JUST do hardware... More accurately, I mean those that pursue hardware  
knowledge on an active basis.  That term is misleading.  Without  
hardware, software is useless outside of emulation.  Everyone has  
their favorite stuff to talk about... Guys like Marc Hull and yourself  
(and many others) do both... I'm just no good at technical stuff, and  
perhaps my opinion is a bit biased towards the code versus what it  
runs on.  :)

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 17, 2009, at 2:01 PM, tursi <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I agree Katsten.  Atariage could really be a good resource for  
> us... Well, us game developers anyway.  I doubt many
> > hardware fellas could benefit from sharing tips with Atari guys...  
> But MSX/CV guys... Don't we have a little bit in common
> > with them?  :)
>

---

From: ti99_forever <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:39:33 -0800 (PST)

Yes, consider how many software guys have shown interest in putting their software in cartridge format. If not for the hardware guys, we wouldn't have this new format.Even before the new cartridge came out, you'd have to burn your program to eprom and put it in a suitable case (ala Hummingbird Eproms, Bob Carmany)...

--- On Tue, 11/17/09, tursi <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: tursi <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TI994A] Spillover (was: Sad side-effect of this group)
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 2:01 PM

  

software"... . there's not all that much going on in either camp, and at 

groups.

:)

instead of a 9900. ;)