Subject: Drive issues #2

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:01:11 -0500

<snip>
Obviously it did not
Read the file properly.  On using DMII, however, it showed the file  
fine.  This could be because I made the diskette on the old drive, and  
it is screwed up...  But I tried a couple other diskettes as well and  
sometimes the DMII would read the files ok, sometimes they came out  
corrupt.
<snip>

I have written and saved, then loaded a few small BASIC programs to  
test the new drive and all seems to work properly... The more I think  
about it, the more I'm convinced that every diskette my previous drive  
touched is fried.  I will do a diagnostic/disk test on the  
questionable diskettes to determine if they are just sector- 
corrupted.  I loaded a diskette I had never used on my old drive  
before-- a copy of the ToD editor, and it loaded and performed  
beautifully.

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

---

From: mark wills <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:17:16 -0800 (PST)

My guess would be that the heads on your old drive are very dirty, and have possibly damaged disks by spewing crap all over them.

The good news: Your old drive might be repairable: I used to clean the heads on my drive with a cotton bud (the ones on sticks that you use for cleaning the kids ears!) and aftershave! The aftershave is mostly alcohol, so it removes the crud and evaporates off cleanly. Worked every single time, and they smelled great too ;-)

>
>From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Sent: Tue, 17 November, 2009 23:01:11
>Subject: [TI994A] Drive issues #2
>
> >
>
>
>
>
>  >
>>      
> 
><snip>
>Obviously it did not
>Read the file properly.  On using DMII, however, it showed the file fine.  This could be because I made the diskette on the old drive, and it is screwed up...  But I tried a couple other diskettes as well and sometimes the DMII would read the files ok, sometimes they came out corrupt.
><snip>
>
>
>I have written and saved, then loaded a few small BASIC programs to test the new drive and all seems to work properly... The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that every diskette my previous drive touched is fried.  I will do a diagnostic/disk test on the questionable diskettes to determine if they are just sector-corrupted.  I loaded a diskette I had never used on my old drive before-- a copy of the ToD editor, and it loaded and performed beautifully.
>
>Owen Brand
>**Oprysoft**
>Opry99er.com
>

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:25:12 -0500

Yea... I think all my old diskettes have been magnetically f***ed, so  
to speak, and apologies for the language.  Luckily, I have decided to  
start saving directly to trash can lids... They can't get messed up by  
bad drives.  Although they smell funny and are currently not supported  
by any TI controller cards... I'll have to look into  
that.....................

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 17, 2009, at 11:17 PM, mark wills <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

> My guess would be that the heads on your old drive are very dirty,  
> and have possibly damaged disks by spewing crap all over them.
>
> The good news: Your old drive might be repairable: I used to clean  
> the heads on my drive with a cotton bud (the ones on sticks that you  
> use for cleaning the kids ears!) and aftershave! The aftershave is  
> mostly alcohol, so it removes the crud and evaporates off cleanly.  
> Worked every single time, and they smelled great too ;-)
>
>
>
> fine.  This could be because I made the diskette on the old drive,  
> and it is screwed up...  But I tried a couple other diskettes as  
> well and sometimes the DMII would read the files ok, sometimes they  
> came out corrupt.
> <snip>
>
> test the new drive and all seems to work properly... The more I  
> think about it, the more I'm convinced that every diskette my  
> previous drive touched is fried.  I will do a diagnostic/disk test  
> on the questionable diskettes to determine if they are just sector-