Subject: ftp.whtech.com torrent question;

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:56:07 -0600

Using VUZE, I downloaded the whole enchilada. 18.99 GB.

VUZE has two categories: Complete torrents (available for upload) and
incomplete torrents (available for download and upload).

ftp.whtech.com was in the incomplete section until all 18.99 GB was
received. So far, so good. I left the computer on so others could get the
files but there seemed to be very little interest. (465.92 MB uploaded so
far, ~2.3%)

Yesterday, ftp.whtech.com was switched to the incomplete section, has
anything changed to cause this?

I don't know much about how torrents work, I've downloaded several files but
they've behaved, but I'm easily confused.

---

From: "Tursi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:39:02 -0500

> anything changed to cause this?

Odd.. once you have it, it shouldn't matter what anyone else does.. maybe 
Vuze was just mis-reporting? How much does it think is left to go?

My seeder ended up transferring 109GB. It's doing zero traffic now.

---

From: "hexbus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 01:45:22 -0000

So where is the torrent file for this housed at? :)

Jon

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:14:40 -0600

> So where is the torrent file for this housed at? :)

IIRC, I downloaded a copy to my hard drive. Hasn't been changed AFAIK.

---

From: "hexbus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 02:39:40 -0000

Where did it come from, though?  (i.e. where do I get it?)

Jon

--- In [email-masked], Barry Peterson <barry.peterson@...> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM, hexbus <jon@...> wrote:
> 
> >
> >

---

From: Tony Knerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 05:21:00 -0500

> Where did it come from, though? (i.e. where do I get it?)
It's in the group's files section, Jon.

Tony

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:39:09 -0700

Barry,

Some of us are just waiting until after the WHTECH rearrangement is 
completed.  In my case due to the fact that I have the official DVD + CD 
version of the site from some years back.

Bill S

Barry Peterson wrote:
> ftp.whtech.com <ftp://ftp.whtech.com/> was in the incomplete section 
> until all 18.99 GB was received. So far, so good. I left the computer on 
> so others could get the files but there seemed to be very little 
> interest. (465.92 MB uploaded so far, ~2.3%)
>  
> Yesterday, ftp.whtech.com <ftp://ftp.whtech.com/> was switched to the 
> incomplete section, has anything changed to cause this?
>  
> I don't know much about how torrents work, I've downloaded several files 
> but they've behaved, but I'm easily confused.
>  
>  
>

---

From: "Paolo Bagnaresi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:47:03 +0100

I think you're referring to the torrent metafile, which is the small 
"*.torrent" file you always download to start any download. That file 
tells your client what the name of the file/s you want to download is/are, 
and, more important, where the tracker for that torrent is in the 
interenet. Without tracker you can't start any download, unless there is a 
DHT enabled, but that's going too far.

I don't use Vuze, so I don't really know what happens there.
I use uTorrent as my bittorrent client. In uTorrent, the small "*.torrent" 
metafile is placed in XP is placed in
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\uTorrent\
assuming C:\ is your default windows drive.

The whole point of this topic is that no matter how the wht content of the 
real wht site has changed ever since you have started and finished your 
download, your torrent content will remain the same and cannot become 
"incomplete". It is now an entity of its own, it lives by itself, 
regardless of the changes that the real wht site may undergo.

There is an exception to this rule, though: if you experience an hard disk 
corruption and there a subsequent request of the very portion of the 
torrent that has gone astray in the hard disk, then something happens. 
Your client realizes that a part is missing in your torrent file , the 
portion gone bad is listed as "missing", and so the torrent becomes 
"incomplete".

Hope it helps,

Paolo
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "hexbus" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 3:39 AM
Subject: [TI994A] Re: ftp.whtech.com torrent question;

Jon

---

From: ti99_forever <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:07:03 -0800 (PST)

If it sticks that way, I'd suggest doing a "check" which will check to see if the files are really there and make it "complete" - that is what I had to do after I moved my files to a spare drive, Vuze thought it needed to re-download the entire torrent until I pointed it to the new directory and did a "force recheck".

--- On Mon, 11/30/09, Paolo Bagnaresi <[email-masked]> wrote:

> From: Paolo Bagnaresi <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [TI994A] Re: ftp.whtech.com torrent question;
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Monday, November 30, 2009, 2:47 PM
> --- In [email-masked],
> Barry Peterson <barry.peterson@...> wrote:
> >
> ------------------------------------
> 
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> 
> 
>     [email-masked]
> 
> 
>

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:48:09 -0600

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Paolo Bagnaresi
<[email-masked]>wrote:

>   your torrent content will remain the same and cannot become
> "incomplete".
>

But that's my point; the program seemed to say that the download had become
incomplete even though I had done nothing with it, then changed its' mind
and decided that all is well.

> portion gone bad is listed as "missing", and so the torrent becomes

That was my assumption, but I doubt there's anything wrong with the drive.

BTW: when the download was complete, I made a copy on an external drive.
That shows that the original file was good with no bad sectors.

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:52:24 -0600

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:07 PM, ti99_forever <[email-masked]>wrote:

> If it sticks that way, I'd suggest doing a "check" which will check to see
> if the files are really there and make it "complete" - that is what I had to
> do after I moved my files to a spare drive, Vuze thought it needed to
> re-download the entire torrent until I pointed it to the new directory and
> did a "force recheck".
>

It didn't stay that way, I don't know what the program did in the meantime
but wondered if there was a file changed which my program noticed and
retreived for me.

(Or something else?)

I'll look for a way to make a check.

---

From: "epergrem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:49:09 -0000

Hi Bill,
Any major rearrangement likely isn't going to happen anytime soon.  Frankly, it's a much bigger task than I want to undertake without some serious thought put into it.

I will be making some modifications to the emulator directory, but nothing major and I'll make Tony aware of those every week or so.

Ernie

---

From: "Paolo Bagnaresi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 19:28:38 +0100

Barry, if you are seeding the torrent, the files forming the torrent have 
to fully available for upload. Sometimes just "mounting" a disk image file 
from the torrent on an emulator, because you want to use it, makes the 
file locked, i.e. not available for upload . In this case your torrent 
client might mark that file as missing, because it is simply not available 
to the torrent client.

Maybe the above is not your case. You know, I am just throwing in 
hypotheses, just to try to explain something I don't understand.

Paolo

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 18:01:50 -0600

> client might mark that file as missing, because it is simply not available

I doubt that happened; when the download finished, I made a copy on another
drive and looked at the copy.

I was hoping someone with more knowledge would have an explanation.