Subject: Programmers?

From: "opry99er" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 23:14:43 -0000

Greetings from afar.  I have been dipping into some of the Colecovision and Atari discussion forums and there is a large number of game programming discussions going on right now.  It seems like in these other environments, game development is hot hot hot.  Now, being that these systems are game platforms and not home computers, it is understandable that the majority of discussions are
primarily about just that..."Game Development.". But the fact that the discussions in these forums are so focused, it seems like they get alot more accomplished in the field of game programming. I realize that in our community, many people have many different interests... I was just hoping to maybe get a general idea about how many people in our community are actually working on new game software... Maybe what is on the horizon.  In the CV forums, everyone knows what stuff is being worked on and they push each other to succeed...  I would love to see something like that with us too. It might serve to help us get more software out there.  Helping and motivating one another as game programmers by having a general knowledge of what is currently  being worked on---that could be quite useful!!!  I know when someone actively seeks help on here for a project that they always receive it...  Like myself with my game release this year.  Wonder what would happen if all us programmers got together and really pushed for new games?  Maybe give these hardware guys some new stuff to chew on as well.  :). What do you think?  I'll post this to the other list as well.  I for one would love to have an ongoing list of current projects on my website so we could all keep each other on our toes.  I had thought several months ago about starting a discussion forum JUST for game development on the TI, but decided against it... Most game developers in the TI world are already in these lists anyway...  But maybe a "Current Projects" page on my site with game names, programmers names, brief summary of the game, and screenshots (when they become available) would help to serve this purpose.  Anyway, let me know what you guys think...  I'd love for us to start cranking out more quality games, and maybe we all just need some regular support from the other developers in these lists.  Love to hear what you guys have to say.

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 18:59:44 -0500

I have added a page to my site for development projects with a  
discussion forum for programmers too.  It is not intended to replace  
any discussions on the List, but it is there for anyone who is  
interested in reading or posting questions, suggestions, and/or tips  
regarding the games in development listed on the "Current Projects"  
page.  Hope to start a real push for new software and I hope this just  
gives programmers a place to talk about this stuff in a wide open  
"programmer" format.  If you have a game you want to list on the page,  
check out the new webpage and read the info for submitting games.   
Real simple stuff.  Thanks, and hope to see you there!!!

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 8, 2009, at 6:17 PM, "opry99er" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Greetings from afar. I have been dipping into some of the  
> Colecovision and Atari discussion forums and there is a large number  
> of game programming discussions going on right now. It seems like in  
> these other environments, game development is hot hot hot. Now,  
> being that these systems are game platforms and not home computers,  
> it is understandable that the majority of discussions are
> primarily about just that..."Game Development.". But the fact that  
> the discussions in these forums are so focused, it seems like they  
> get alot more accomplished in the field of game programming. I  
> realize that in our community, many people have many different  
> interests... I was just hoping to maybe get a general idea about how  
> many people in our community are actually working on new game  
> software... Maybe what is on the horizon. In the CV forums, everyone  
> knows what stuff is being worked on and they push each other to  
> succeed... I would love to see something like that with us too. It  
> might serve to help us get more software out there. Helping and  
> motivating one another as game programmers by having a general  
> knowledge of what is currently being worked on---that could be quite  
> useful!!! I know when someone actively seeks help on here for a  
> project that they always receive it... Like myself with my game  
> release this year. Wonder what would happen if all us programmers  
> got together and really pushed for new games? Maybe give these  
> hardware guys some new stuff to chew on as well. :). What do you  
> think? I for one would love to have an ongoing list of current  
> projects on my website so we could all keep each other on our toes.  
> I had thought several months ago about starting a discussion forum  
> JUST for game development on the TI, but decided against it... Most  
> game developers in the TI world are already in this list anyway...  
> But maybe a "Current Projects" page on my site with game names,  
> programmers names, brief summary of the game, and screenshots (when  
> they become available) would help to serve this purpose. Anyway, let  
> me know what you guys think... I'd love for us to start cranking out  
> more quality games, and maybe we all just need some regular support  
> from the other developers in our community. Love to hear what you  
> guys have to say.
>
> Owen Brand
> Opry99er.com
>
>
> 
> Reply to sender | Reply to group
> Messages in this topic (1)
> RECENT ACTIVITY: New Members 1
> Visit Your Group Start a New Topic
>
>

---

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:18:49 -0500

Owen,

You and I have bandied about game ideas and suggestions on the list once in
a while in recent months, but I agree, the software side of the TI community
(at least as represented on these lists) is pretty far behind the hardware
tinkerers.  Not saying that's good or bad, just not up my alley personally,
as I'm more of a programmer, collector, and game maker -- hardware, to me,
is a means to an end, not the end.

I've been scoping out the Denial forum, which is the most active Commodore
Vic-20 community I've found online, having just picked one of those machines
up for my "war room."  The focus there is much more on programming -- games,
primarily, but someone just created a new paint program, and there was even
talk of making a new word processor recently.  It could be that since the
system is not that expandable on its own, maybe everyone focuses on
software... but I have to admit that I find it pretty interesting, and
refreshing, and I would love to see more of that for the TI.

I started my own site and my development blog primarily because I didn't
feel a lot of interest in these topics when I posted about them on the list,
and I didn't wanna bog everyone down with endless updates on a project they
didn't care about.  I'm more focused inward, on working on my own projects
at my own pace, for the personal satisfaction, than on collaboration or
brainstorming -- but it would be nice to have some mutual support for each
other's projects, and a place to bounce ideas or questions around, without
getting harrumphs about "all this fluffy software talk" (which someone
actually said, or close to that, recently).

I'm actually gonna have some TI time tonight, so if my RAMdisk decides to
cooperate, I'm hoping to get a lot done, and get some new pix up on my
blog.  If I have time, I'll swing by your new forum and put up a status
update.

Keith

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM, opry99er <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>
> Greetings from afar. I have been dipping into some of the Colecovision and
> Atari discussion forums and there is a large number of game programming
> discussions going on right now. It seems like in these other environments,
> game development is hot hot hot. Now, being that these systems are game
> platforms and not home computers, it is understandable that the majority of
> discussions are
> primarily about just that..."Game Development.". But the fact that the
> discussions in these forums are so focused, it seems like they get alot more
> accomplished in the field of game programming. I realize that in our
> community, many people have many different interests... I was just hoping to
> maybe get a general idea about how many people in our community are actually
> working on new game software... Maybe what is on the horizon. In the CV
> forums, everyone knows what stuff is being worked on and they push each
> other to succeed... I would love to see something like that with us too. It
> might serve to help us get more software out there. Helping and motivating
> one another as game programmers by having a general knowledge of what is
> currently being worked on---that could be quite useful!!! I know when
> someone actively seeks help on here for a project that they always receive
> it... Like myself with my game release this year. Wonder what would happen
> if all us programmers got together and really pushed for new games? Maybe
> give these hardware guys some new stuff to chew on as well. :). What do you
> think? I'll post this to the other list as well. I for one would love to
> have an ongoing list of current projects on my website so we could all keep
> each other on our toes. I had thought several months ago about starting a
> discussion forum JUST for game development on the TI, but decided against
> it... Most game developers in the TI world are already in these lists
> anyway... But maybe a "Current Projects" page on my site with game names,
> programmers names, brief summary of the game, and screenshots (when they
> become available) would help to serve this purpose. Anyway, let me know what
> you guys think... I'd love for us to start cranking out more quality games,
> and maybe we all just need some regular support from the other developers in
> these lists. Love to hear what you guys have to say.
>
> Owen Brand
> Opry99er.com
>
> 
>

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:28:14 -0500

Thanks man.  If you like, I would love to put your game concepts up on  
my site.  If you go to my site and look at the new page, it has a  
breakdown of what will be included in a listing.  I agree that the  
list server is not that great a place for software/game development  
discussion.  That's why I
Started this thing up. There is an option to be notified by email when  
someone comments on your posts about your game.  Let me know, and  
check out the forum...  Just opened it tonight, so no games are listed  
and no discussions have officially opened yet.  Please be the first.  :)

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 8, 2009, at 7:18 PM, Keith Bergman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Owen,
>
> You and I have bandied about game ideas and suggestions on the list  
> once in a while in recent months, but I agree, the software side of  
> the TI community (at least as represented on these lists) is pretty  
> far behind the hardware tinkerers.  Not saying that's good or bad,  
> just not up my alley personally, as I'm more of a programmer,  
> collector, and game maker -- hardware, to me, is a means to an end,  
> not the end.
>
> I've been scoping out the Denial forum, which is the most active  
> Commodore Vic-20 community I've found online, having just picked one  
> of those machines up for my "war room."  The focus there is much  
> more on programming -- games, primarily, but someone just created a  
> new paint program, and there was even talk of making a new word  
> processor recently.  It could be that since the system is not that  
> expandable on its own, maybe everyone focuses on software... but I  
> have to admit that I find it pretty interesting, and refreshing, and  
> I would love to see more of that for the TI.
>
> I started my own site and my development blog primarily because I  
> didn't feel a lot of interest in these topics when I posted about  
> them on the list, and I didn't wanna bog everyone down with endless  
> updates on a project they didn't care about.  I'm more focused  
> inward, on working on my own projects at my own pace, for the  
> personal satisfaction, than on collaboration or brainstorming -- but  
> it would be nice to have some mutual support for each other's  
> projects, and a place to bounce ideas or questions around, without  
> getting harrumphs about "all this fluffy software talk" (which  
> someone actually said, or close to that, recently).
>
> I'm actually gonna have some TI time tonight, so if my RAMdisk  
> decides to cooperate, I'm hoping to get a lot done, and get some new  
> pix up on my blog.  If I have time, I'll swing by your new forum and  
> put up a status update.
>
> Keith
>
>
>
> think? I'll post this to the other list as well. I for one would  
> love to have an ongoing list of current projects on my website so we  
> could all keep each other on our toes. I had thought several months  
> ago about starting a discussion forum JUST for game development on  
> the TI, but decided against it... Most game developers in the TI  
> world are already in these lists anyway... But maybe a "Current  
> Projects" page on my site with game names, programmers names, brief  
> summary of the game, and screenshots (when they become available)  
> would help to serve this purpose. Anyway, let me know what you guys  
> think... I'd love for us to start cranking out more quality games,  
> and maybe we all just need some regular support from the other  
> developers in these lists. Love to hear what you guys have to say.
>
> Owen Brand
> Opry99er.com
>
>
>
>

---

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:36:18 -0500

Not being a long-term insider, but having been around for a while in the
late 80's and early 90's, I have a theory about why a lot of the "old
timers" (and I say that with all affection) aren't so big on software
discussions... that seemed to be a golden age of vaporware.  It was the last
gasp of the remaining mail order catalogs, small commercial software houses,
etc, and a lot of the projects that were allegedly gonna take the TI and
Geneve to the "next level" either never showed up, or were insanely late
and/or buggy (I'm thinking specifically of the "Press" word processor, which
I don't think ever actually did get finished?).  So it could just be a
knee-jerk expectation that software talk is destined to be just that...
talk...

On the other side of that, this insane Vic-20 programmer named Ghislain
started on what was to be his third "dungeon crawl" role-playing game in
February... it just got commercially released (!) by a company in the UK,
with all his old freeware programs on the disk for bonus content, with full
color packaging and everything.  He mentioned having 7-8 hours a day to work
on it, though... must be nice!  Do a YouTube search for "Realms of Quest
3"... I think you'll be impressed.

I've been hesitant to even talk about my own stuff because I never know if
my schedule's gonna permit a lot of programming work.  But I figured
throwing a blog out there would give me at least a little incentive to make
the time, since my progress would be a matter of public record (or at least
as public as the few people who stopped by to check it out).

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Owen Brand <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>
> Thanks man.  If you like, I would love to put your game concepts up on my
> site.  If you go to my site and look at the new page, it has a breakdown of
> what will be included in a listing.  I agree that the list server is not
> that great a place for software/game development discussion.  That's why I
> someone comments on your posts about your game.  Let me know, and check out
> the forum...  Just opened it tonight, so no games are listed and no
> discussions have officially opened yet.  Please be the first.  :)
>
>
> Owen Brand
> **Oprysoft**
> Opry99er.com <http://opry99er.com/>
>
>> Opry99er.com <http://opry99er.com/>
>>
>>
>  
>

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:46:02 -0500

Yea, I set up a blog and screeenshot section for my stuff as well.   
This new page, however will be a much more direct and formatted method  
of dessiminating information and presenting game ideas by actual  
programmers in the here and now, including a letter code which will  
give the "status" of the game.

(C) Concept Stage
(P) Paper Stage
(D) Development Stage
(B) Beta Testing Stage
(R) Released

This way people will know how far along each game is and tailor their  
comments/questions accordingly.  It will be updated by the request of  
the programmer from one stage to the next...  Screenshots posted when  
available.

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 8, 2009, at 7:36 PM, Keith Bergman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Not being a long-term insider, but having been around for a while in  
> the late 80's and early 90's, I have a theory about why a lot of the  
> "old timers" (and I say that with all affection) aren't so big on  
> software discussions... that seemed to be a golden age of  
> vaporware.  It was the last gasp of the remaining mail order  
> catalogs, small commercial software houses, etc, and a lot of the  
> projects that were allegedly gonna take the TI and Geneve to the  
> "next level" either never showed up, or were insanely late and/or  
> buggy (I'm thinking specifically of the "Press" word processor,  
> which I don't think ever actually did get finished?).  So it could  
> just be a knee-jerk expectation that software talk is destined to be  
> just that... talk...
>
> On the other side of that, this insane Vic-20 programmer named  
> Ghislain started on what was to be his third "dungeon crawl" role- 
> playing game in February... it just got commercially released (!) by  
> a company in the UK, with all his old freeware programs on the disk  
> for bonus content, with full color packaging and everything.  He  
> mentioned having 7-8 hours a day to work on it, though... must be  
> nice!  Do a YouTube search for "Realms of Quest 3"... I think you'll  
> be impressed.
>
> I've been hesitant to even talk about my own stuff because I never  
> know if my schedule's gonna permit a lot of programming work.  But I  
> figured throwing a blog out there would give me at least a little  
> incentive to make the time, since my progress would be a matter of  
> public record (or at least as public as the few people who stopped  
> by to check it out).
>
>
>
>
> Thanks man.  If you like, I would love to put your game concepts up  
> on my site.  If you go to my site and look at the new page, it has a  
> Started this thing up. There is an option to be notified by email  
> when someone comments on your posts about your game.  Let me know,  
> and check out the forum...  Just opened it tonight, so no games are  
> listed and no discussions have officially opened yet.  Please be the  
> first.  :)
>
>
> Owen Brand
> **Oprysoft**
> Opry99er.com
>
>> Commodore Vic-20 community I've found online, having just picked  
>> one of those machines up for my "war room."  The focus there is  
>> much more on programming -- games, primarily, but someone just  
>> created a new paint program, and there was even talk of making a  
>> new word processor recently.  It could be that since the system is  
>> not that expandable on its own, maybe everyone focuses on  
>> software... but I have to admit that I find it pretty interesting,  
>> and refreshing, and I would love to see more of that for the TI.
>>
>> personal satisfaction, than on collaboration or brainstorming --  
>> but it would be nice to have some mutual support for each other's  
>> decides to cooperate, I'm hoping to get a lot done, and get some  
>> new pix up on my blog.  If I have time, I'll swing by your new  
>> forum and put up a status update.
>>
>> Keith
>>
>>
>>
>> Colecovision and Atari discussion forums and there is a large  
>> number of game programming discussions going on right now. It seems  
>> like in these other environments, game development is hot hot hot.  
>> Now, being that these systems are game platforms and not home  
>> computers, it is understandable that the majority of discussions are
>> interests... I was just hoping to maybe get a general idea about  
>> how many people in our community are actually working on new game  
>> software... Maybe what is on the horizon. In the CV forums,  
>> everyone knows what stuff is being worked on and they push each  
>> other to succeed... I would love to see something like that with us  
>> too. It might serve to help us get more software out there. Helping  
>> and motivating one another as game programmers by having a general  
>> knowledge of what is currently being worked on---that could be  
>> quite useful!!! I know when someone actively seeks help on here for  
>> a project that they always receive it... Like myself with my game  
>> love to have an ongoing list of current projects on my website so  
>> we could all keep each other on our toes. I had thought several  
>> months ago about starting a discussion forum JUST for game  
>> development on the TI, but decided against it... Most game  
>> developers in the TI world are already in these lists anyway... But  
>> maybe a "Current Projects" page on my site with game names,  
>> they become available) would help to serve this purpose. Anyway,  
>> let me know what you guys think... I'd love for us to start  
>> cranking out more quality games, and maybe we all just need some  
>> regular support from the other developers in these lists. Love to  
>> hear what you guys have to say.
>>
>> Owen Brand
>> Opry99er.com
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

---

From: "Tursi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:43:03 -0500

>is a means to an end, not the end.

This is true of me, as well, but the software I want to write requires 
hardware I don't have, which has forced me to spend some time learning 
and experimenting with it. :)

I lost the mail, but someone else mentioned how they don't want to be 
yet another vaporware, that's why most of my projects stay close to my 
chest. I also find it hard to get time for such things! :/

---

From: "Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 00:56:38 -0000

> primarily about just that..."Game Development.". But the fact that the discussions in these forums are so focused, it seems like they get alot more accomplished in the field of game programming. I…

Actually, the only Atari systems that were *not* home computers (in the sense that we think of them) were the 2600 and the later Jaguar.  The 400, 800, 800XL, 1200XL, Atari-ST, etc. were all home computers.  The reason there are so many game developers for these platforms, in my opinion, is because the user base is so much bigger and there was a ton more 3rd party developers when these systems were released.  The main reason for the huge development base on the other classic home computer platforms is (again in my opinion) because unlike TI, Atari, Commodore, Apple, etc. encouraged 3rd party software development.

Also, many of those platforms used the same CPU, either the Z80 or 6502, so developers can jump around on the platforms and be somewhat productive in a short amount of time.  We have the distinct honor of being the only home computer running a crippled 9900 CPU.

On the other forums, I think a lot of the focus comes from using a "forum" format instead of a mailing list, so it is a lot easier to start a specific topic, follow a topic, and *stay on topic*.  The different sections allow people to quickly participate in the areas they are interested in.  Personally I prefer a real forum over a mailing list, but this community seems to really like Y!, so this is where we stay.

Since some other computer platforms out there share some of the same hardware that is in the 99/4A, specifically the 9918A for video (notably the Coleco and MSX) and the sound chip, we can take advantage of some cross-platform development in the other communities.  It would also be nice to try and entice some of the other platform developers to try the 99/4A.

I was 13 when I got my 99/4A and played my first text adventure ever (Pirate Adventure), my first RPG (ToD), and wrote my first program in TI-BASIC.  About that same time TRON came out and I wrote my first game in assembly: Lightcycles.  :-)

I share your passion for games and game development on the TI, but unfortunately in the TI community I think we are the minority.  What I observe is that "TIers" tend to like to tinker with their computers, mess around with various utility programs, and collect the rare esoteric 3rd party hardware for the sake of having it.  I don't think there are many hardcore gamers among us.

If you are making a list anywhere about people's interests (as related to the TI) and abilities, here are my stats:

I can code in BASIC (only if I have to), but I prefer assembly.  I know electronics well enough to modify a console or make something new.  I like graphics and sound and prefer multiplayer games, RPG's, puzzles, and mazes.  Side scrollers, action games, platformers, etc. are okay with me for a little bit, but I'd rather be trying to find my way through a dungeon.  I have a particular interest in mazes and when I have some spare time (yeah right) I hope to make some sort of maze-crawler for the TI.  I'm also working on a 99/4A emulator so I can learn the TI better and because I'm interested in how emulators work.

Matthew

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 20:07:46 -0500

I understand this point of view as well, Tursi.  However in game  
development, I think it would be beneficial if the game designers were  
held accountable, like in the CV and in some cases, the VIC20.  Just  
so we can help motivate one another.  I mean, if you look at  
development for other systems from this same era, the software stuff  
is much broader in scope.  These guys talk about their game building  
and are on their toes... If not for my good buddy Marc who kept me on  
my toes during "Lemonade Stand," it would still be sitting in a PC  
file under DSK1 of Classic99 with no direction or purpose.  :). The  
DSK1 file of Classic99 is a GREAT place to be, don't get me wrong...   
But yea, I just hope to have something here to help us push one  
another along.  I would love to see Keith get "Downward" out and I  
would love to complete "Honeycomb Rapture.". I hope you will take a  
look in on my forum from time to time, Tursi.  Your input would be  
greatly appreciated!!!

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 8, 2009, at 7:43 PM, "Tursi" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> as I'm more of a programmer, collector, and game maker -- hardware,  
>> to
>> me,
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

---

From: "Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 01:08:26 -0000

> and no discussions have officially opened yet.  Please be the first.  :)

I think it is great that you started a forum for TI game development, but there are already several forums set up by other members (Tursi runs one, for example) and the problem is, outside of the Y! group, we get very segmented.  I don't mind checking one or two places for TI talk, but any more than that and people start to not even bother.

But, people tend to go where they can get information and help, so if you are active in the forum you set up, maybe the gamers among us will congregate on your forum. :-)

Matthew

---

From: "Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 01:13:37 -0000

> 3"... I think you'll be impressed.

Well, that's another thing about the other platforms with a larger user base.  You can actually write a game and get it released in cartridge format, AND MAKE MONEY!  While you probably can't retire on the income, it is a very nice incentive and lets you know people appreciate the effort.

Matthew

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 20:15:53 -0500

Matthew, thanks for your input.  My forum IS a forum, not a mailing  
list.  You do get an email notolification when you receive responses  
to your posts, so it is much more like the CV forums... By design.  If  
you have any games in concept stage or beyond, I would love to post  
them to my site.  You can go there and read about what info is to be  
included in submissions.  All submissions are accepted, I just need a  
bit of info.  Screenshots posted on when available and if you want  
them posted.  I know there are several folks out here working on  
games.  We can increase that number and help our current programmers  
with game-oriented banter.  :). Check out the new page on my site.   
Very bare bones right now, but I have been receiving some good  
suggestions on here and via email on how to make it all it can be.   
I'll post the first game to the site tonight and make a post about it  
on the forum so you can see how it will interact.  Thanks.

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 8, 2009, at 7:56 PM, "Matthew" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Actually, the only Atari systems that were *not* home computers (in  
> the sense that we think of them) were the 2600 and the later Jaguar.  
> The 400, 800, 800XL, 1200XL, Atari-ST, etc. were all home computers.  
> The reason there are so many game developers for these platforms, in  
> my opinion, is because the user base is so much bigger and there was  
> a ton more 3rd party developers when these systems were released.  
> The main reason for the huge development base on the other classic  
> home computer platforms is (again in my opinion) because unlike TI,  
> Atari, Commodore, Apple, etc. encouraged 3rd party software  
> development.
>
> Also, many of those platforms used the same CPU, either the Z80 or  
> 6502, so developers can jump around on the platforms and be somewhat  
> productive in a short amount of time. We have the distinct honor of  
> being the only home computer running a crippled 9900 CPU.
>
> On the other forums, I think a lot of the focus comes from using a  
> "forum" format instead of a mailing list, so it is a lot easier to  
> start a specific topic, follow a topic, and *stay on topic*. The  
> different sections allow people to quickly participate in the areas  
> they are interested in. Personally I prefer a real forum over a  
> mailing list, but this community seems to really like Y!, so this is  
> where we stay.
>
> Since some other computer platforms out there share some of the same  
> hardware that is in the 99/4A, specifically the 9918A for video  
> (notably the Coleco and MSX) and the sound chip, we can take  
> advantage of some cross-platform development in the other  
> communities. It would also be nice to try and entice some of the  
> other platform developers to try the 99/4A.
>
> I was 13 when I got my 99/4A and played my first text adventure ever  
> (Pirate Adventure), my first RPG (ToD), and wrote my first program  
> in TI-BASIC. About that same time TRON came out and I wrote my first  
> game in assembly: Lightcycles. :-)
>
> I share your passion for games and game development on the TI, but  
> unfortunately in the TI community I think we are the minority. What  
> I observe is that "TIers" tend to like to tinker with their  
> computers, mess around with various utility programs, and collect  
> the rare esoteric 3rd party hardware for the sake of having it. I  
> don't think there are many hardcore gamers among us.
>
> If you are making a list anywhere about people's interests (as  
> related to the TI) and abilities, here are my stats:
>
> I can code in BASIC (only if I have to), but I prefer assembly. I  
> know electronics well enough to modify a console or make something  
> new. I like graphics and sound and prefer multiplayer games, RPG's,  
> puzzles, and mazes. Side scrollers, action games, platformers, etc.  
> are okay with me for a little bit, but I'd rather be trying to find  
> my way through a dungeon. I have a particular interest in mazes and  
> when I have some spare time (yeah right) I hope to make some sort of  
> maze-crawler for the TI. I'm also working on a 99/4A emulator so I  
> can learn the TI better and because I'm interested in how emulators  
> work.
>
> Matthew
>
>

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 22:51:27 -0500

Just listed the first game on the page and linked it to the discussion  
forum.  I then posted a fake response to the original post so you  
could see what it looks like when people work together.  ;) hehe. Also  
what it looks like when a response to a post is made.  Thanks!

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 8, 2009, at 8:13 PM, "Matthew" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Ghislain
> Well, that's another thing about the other platforms with a larger  
> user base. You can actually write a game and get it released in  
> cartridge format, AND MAKE MONEY!  While you probably can't retire  
> on the income, it is a very nice incentive and lets you know people  
> appreciate the effort.
>
> Matthew
>
>

---

From: "killroy732000" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 15:29:46 -0000

Very interesting topic. In the past I too had the feeling that game
development for the TI-99/4A was not that appealing to most 
grouplist members. Must say I had quite some evenings were I was
hacking on Pitfall and was thinking if someone would really care 
about my efforts.

That is how I got the idea to reach out outside the TI yahoo 
grouplist and talk about it in the homebrew section of the forum at
atariage (http://www.atariage.com). I got quite some nice feedback
and when it was time for the Pitfall preorder list, I had some orders
from them. Good for me!

But then, the biggest surprise I got was when I talked about the 
preorder list in the TI Yahoo group.
A lot of orders, even from folks I really didn't expect :-)

So this lead me to the conclusion that people are prepared to get 
your final product, but perhaps there is not that much interest in
the development part of the software. Dunno. On the other hand don't 
forget about the many lurkers that read you messages with lots of 
interest, but are not speaking up.

Now, we all have our own blogs where we write about what we do. 
But what is missing from my point of view is a central place where we
can announce new developments (not only for games). 

There is 99er.net, but I'd like to see something in the spirit 
of MSX resource (http://www.msxresource.org)

Here are some of the stuff I was thinking about:
* Easy to remember URL and appealing design
* Announcement section, Download section, Forum
* Screenshot database
* Website running in a CMS (Content Management System), 
  e.g. Drupal (http://drupal.org/project/drupal)
* Add support in Forum and announcements for multiple languages. 
  This might not be an issue in the USA or UK, but I'm quite sure a 
  lot more folks would join/participate if they could write in their
  own language as well (Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Italian, ...)
* Support for multiple editors, so that not a single person has 
  to do all the work
* read-access without having to login.

As a first alternative/addition to the above, we could request for a TI-99/4A
game programming section at atariage. The advantage at atariage is 
that the posts get a lot of views. Meaning, likely to attract new 
TI-99/4A homebrewers :-)

These are my 2 cents on the topic. 

Would be good if we could join forces on the above :-)

Cheers
Filip

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:46:18 -0500

Filip, thanks for posting.  Check out the current posts and forum  
entries.  I will be happy to entertain any ideas on how to improve the  
site.  I was thinking about adding a comprehensive screenshot page as  
well where all available screenshots will be broken down and  
categorized along with detailed descriptions of each one.  Please,   
feel free to look at the new section of the page and the linked forum  
posts too.  Thanks

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 13:07:01 -0700

My 2 cents worth is probably not worth 2 cents in this thread as I'm not 
a game player (only occasionally).  I do have tons of EA5 games on disk 
and lots of module games in addition to joysticks, wireless joysticks 
even, and several trackballs, but they're mostly used by my grandkids 
now days, and early on by my kids before they became parents.

Computer games and educational software is how I got my kids involved 
with computers at very early ages, so I welcome new game software for 
their sakes, but mostly for keeping our TI/Geneve community alive and 
active.  Which means I don't weigh in much with software talk about game 
developments, although I love talking software development in general as 
I learn much from it even when it's about game development by just 
"listening".  I'm able to do this when it comes to me via e-mail, but 
it's unlikely that I will spend time on a website for this purpose, and 
I will loose out on those discussions.  I won't even be able to promote 
X4th99 for software game development from time to time.  I'm sure some 
of you will be pleased by this aspect (we found a way to shut up his 
forth talk :-).

Just remember that my "hearing" all about your game developments helps 
me determine what kind of capabilities to include in X4th99.  Of course, 
this won't matter if none of you intend to use X4th99 for game 
development.  After all it is saddled with a minimum of 256K of AMS/SAMS 
requirement.  Which means that everyone is targeting the new cartridge 
with 40K of GROM (simulated) and 64K of ROM for all game software 
development.  Unless this new cartridge uses FLASH for both GROM and ROM 
each game will require one cartridge per game developed per person 
wanting the game.  Probably very good for TI console only and CF7* 
users, and free-ware for emulator users.

On the other hand, TI with PEB users only need one 256K or more on one 
AMS/SAMS card for games developed using X4th99.  I suppose what this 
really means is that I've fallen too far behind the times, and should 
stop all Forth development as this community is going in another 
direction.  I know not all TI/Geneve development is in the games arena, 
so there could still be some application development that would benefit 
from X4th99 capabilities.  However, if I'm the only one that will be 
developing application software with X4th99, then I will be much happier 
if I return to Forth+ development on the Geneve, as that platform is 
much more to my liking.

Please understand that I'm just trying to find out where the majority of 
software developers in this community are going.  I simply don't want to 
waste any more time on X4th99 development if it won't be used by anyone 
but myself.  I know I'm an old coot, so it's very likely that my ideas 
don't line up with those of younger generations.

I need to hear from all software developers in this community, so I can 
change my current development plans or continue with current plans.

Bill S

Keith Bergman wrote:
> discussions... that seemed to be a golden age of vaporware.  It was the 
> last gasp of the remaining mail order catalogs, small commercial 
> software houses, etc, and a lot of the projects that were allegedly 
> gonna take the TI and Geneve to the "next level" either never showed up, 
> or were insanely late and/or buggy (I'm thinking specifically of the 
> "Press" word processor, which I don't think ever actually did get 
> finished?).  So it could just be a knee-jerk expectation that software 
> talk is destined to be just that... talk...
>  
> February... it just got commercially released (!) by a company in the 
> UK, with all his old freeware programs on the disk for bonus content, 
> with full color packaging and everything.  He mentioned having 7-8 hours 
> a day to work on it, though... must be nice!  Do a YouTube search for 
> "Realms of Quest 3"... I think you'll be impressed.
>  
> I've been hesitant to even talk about my own stuff because I never know 
> if my schedule's gonna permit a lot of programming work.  But I figured 
> throwing a blog out there would give me at least a little incentive to 
> make the time, since my progress would be a matter of public record (or 
> at least as public as the few people who stopped by to check it out).
>  
> 
> 
>  
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Owen Brand <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>      
> 
>     On Nov 8, 2009, at 7:18 PM, Keith Bergman <[email-masked]
>     <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>>      
>>
>>     Owen,
>>      
>>     You and I have bandied about game ideas and suggestions on the
>>     list once in a while in recent months, but I agree, the software
>>     side of the TI community (at least as represented on these lists)
>>     is pretty far behind the hardware tinkerers.  Not saying that's
>>     good or bad, just not up my alley personally, as I'm more of a
>>     programmer, collector, and game maker -- hardware, to me, is a
>>     means to an end, not the end.
>>      
>>     them on the list, and I didn't wanna bog everyone down with
>>     endless updates on a project they didn't care about.  I'm more
>>     focused inward, on working on my own projects at my own pace, for
>>     the personal satisfaction, than on collaboration or brainstorming
>>     -- but it would be nice to have some mutual support for each
>>     other's projects, and a place to bounce ideas or questions around,
>>     without getting harrumphs about "all this fluffy software talk"
>>     (which someone actually said, or close to that, recently).
>>      
>>     On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM, opry99er <[email-masked]
>>     <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>>
>>          
>>
>>         number of game programming discussions going on right now. It
>>         seems like in these other environments, game development is
>>         hot hot hot. Now, being that these systems are game platforms
>>         and not home computers, it is understandable that the majority
>>         of discussions are
>>         primarily about just that..."Game Development.". But the fact
>>         that the discussions in these forums are so focused, it seems
>>         like they get alot more accomplished in the field of game
>>         programming. I realize that in our community, many people have
>>         many different interests... I was just hoping to maybe get a
>>         general idea about how many people in our community are
>>         actually working on new game software... Maybe what is on the
>>         horizon. In the CV forums, everyone knows what stuff is being
>>         worked on and they push each other to succeed... I would love
>>         to see something like that with us too. It might serve to help
>>         us get more software out there. Helping and motivating one
>>         another as game programmers by having a general knowledge of
>>         what is currently being worked on---that could be quite
>>         useful!!! I know when someone actively seeks help on here for
>>         a project that they always receive it... Like myself with my
>>         game release this year. Wonder what would happen if all us
>>         programmers got together and really pushed for new games?
>>         Maybe give these hardware guys some new stuff to chew on as
>>         well. :). What do you think? I'll post this to the other list
>>         as well. I for one would love to have an ongoing list of
>>         current projects on my website so we could all keep each other
>>         on our toes. I had thought several months ago about starting a
>>         discussion forum JUST for game development on the TI, but
>>         decided against it... Most game developers in the TI world are
>>         already in these lists anyway... But maybe a "Current
>>         Projects" page on my site with game names, programmers names,
>>         brief summary of the game, and screenshots (when they become
>>         available) would help to serve this purpose. Anyway, let me
>>         know what you guys think... I'd love for us to start cranking
>>         out more quality games, and maybe we all just need some
>>         regular support from the other developers in these lists. Love
>>         to hear what you guys have to say.
>>
>>         Owen Brand

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:25:43 -0500

Bill, I look forward to your 4th posts...  I just found and acquired a  
3 ring binder full of 4th documentation and diskettes from two user  
user groups that I have begun muddling through.  While AMS/SAMS may  
never be a regular ticket item in most PEBs, it is supported by the  
best emulators out there, Classic99 being one.  If it can be written  
on Classic99, it can be played on every PC under the sun... Pretty  
much.  With Willsy's Mongrel4th99 coming out on cart and your  
continued work, 4th might become a major development environment...  I  
am just now learning what to do with 4th.  However, when I do get into  
using it to develop, I will more than likely use a language that will  
allow production of games that can be played on the majority of IRL  
systems.  If X4th99 games will require a SAMS card to play, it  
probably would not be my first choice for programming.  Just my 2  
cents--but again, probably not worth 2 cents being as I know virtually  
nothing about any of these 4th systems.  :). You are welcome to visit  
the new
Games page anytime!! Perhaps on a few of the games that are still in  
concept stage and before development really starts, you could let the  
programmer know the benefits of using  your 4th.  It would be a great  
help to have someone like you with knowledge of the capabilities and  
limitations of languages in the development discussions.  I will be  
posting more games in an hour or so, by the way.  Filip is listing his  
port of "Pitfall" and will start a new thread for discussion.  Thanks  
for all you do, Bill.

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 9, 2009, at 3:07 PM, fdos <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> know

---

From: tursi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 13:01:10 -0800 (PST)

> direction.

Things change so fast, that for the most part for my slow projects I 
decided a long time ago I'd still do what I wanted to do for myself, and 
if they were good, they'd be adopted. If they were late, well, I still had 
fun. ;)

The major handicap I see with your project, Bill, is the AMS requirement. 
Not many people have it, and not many new people are likely to get it. 
It's because of your project that I have mentally filed away that IF I do 
a RAM expansion as part of my project, it should be AMS compatible, but at 
this point I don't know what most people will do, and there's no expected 
deadline for my ideas.

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:34:42 -0500

"Game projects" on Opry99er.com updated to include "Manic-Miner" and  
"Pitfall".  There is a video for Pitfall on the site, and working on  
one for "Manic-Miner.". Please check this stuff out.  Individual links  
to each programmer's blog and website are Included in the game  
description on the page.  Thanks...  2 more games for tomorrow.  Enjoy.

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 16:03:19 -0700

Owen,

My original plan called for X4th99 to boot without additional memory, 
and to do both (support code and application code) libraries as 
over-lays if 256K AMS/SAMS was not available.  However another 
requirement was for a minimum of 8K of conventional (non-paged) memory 
for user dictionary space after boot up.  This requirement is what 
caused the change to requiring AMS/SAMS for parts of the Forth kernel 
that are used during the boot up process.

One easy way around this dilemma would be to modify the AMS/SAMS card to 
allow it to page 4K at >6000 and at >7000.  This would allow me to 
recover the 4K zone being used to page kernel memory and restore the 4K 
of conventional memory for the kernel and 4K for user dictionary space. 
  I have not investigated how this can be done or if it even can be 
done.  It would be the easiest solution, as it would also allow the 
original over-lay technique to be used, so AMS/SAMS becomes optional again.

Another way around this problem is to eliminate one of the binary code 
libraries.  In fact, this is the case with the current released MDOS 
Forth+ V1.01 (two library code zones are functional in the V2.00 
development which I stopped work on some two plus years ago).  The 
reason for two library zones is due to once I started developing 
application I found that I was over using the library CALL() function 
(which uses the Forth Interpreter and cannot provide error checking on 
library calls as they don't necessarily exist at compile time (yes, an 
interpreter operation can be accessed from a Forth word that has been 
compiled).  This problem will be exasperated in X4th99 as the library 
zones are just 4K as is the virtual BLOCK BUFFER zone while in Forth+ 
they're all 8K zones, and it's also blessed with 20K of conventional 
memory for user dictionary space, and no need to page any of the Forth 
kernel.

Another possibility would be to forgo AMS/SAMS and go with 64K+ RAM 
paged at >6000 ~ >7FFF (cartridge space in hopes that Jon will develop 
it) using CRU paging (two x 4K paging zones would be more effective as 
it would allow for two library zones) and use 8K of conventional memory 
for a Forth 8 x 1K BLOCK BUFFER zone (no paging required).

I need to hear from someone very familiar with the AMs/SAMS card in 
regards to my proposed modification, and Jon Guidry regarding the 
possibility of a 64K or more RAM cartridge.

Bill S

Owen Brand wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2009, at 3:07 PM, fdos <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:fdosbrs%40frontiernet.net>> wrote:
> 
> <mailto:owenbrand%40opry99er.com>
>  >> <mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:owenbrand%40opry99er.com>>> 
> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Opry99er.com <http://opry99er.com/ <http://opry99er.com/>>
>  >>
> <mailto:exiletoledo%40gmail.com>
>  >> <mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:exiletoledo%40gmail.com>>> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>>
>  >>>
>  >>> Owen,
>  >>>
> <mailto:owenbrand%40opry99er.com>
>  >>> <mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:owenbrand%40opry99er.com>>> 
> wrote:
>  >>>
>  >>>
>  >>>
>  >>> Opry99er.com <http://opry99er.com/ <http://opry99er.com/>>
>  >>>
>  >>>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >
>  >

---

From: mark wills <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 21:00:44 -0800 (PST)

<snip>
As a first alternative/ addition to the above, we could request for a TI-99/4A
game programming section at atariage. The advantage at atariage is 
that the posts get a lot of views. Meaning, likely to attract new 
TI-99/4A homebrewers :-)
</snip>

I think that is an excellent idea.

Also possibly the MSX sites? As they share the same VDP, I'm sure those guys would be interested to see what they could squeeze out of the machine.

Mark,

---

From: "sconner3uk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:21:54 -0000

"... without getting harrumphs about "all this fluffy software talk" (which someone actually said, or close to that, recently)."

I do hope that everyone realises that this was a light-hearted comment (may be I missed out the required smiley!). There has been an (interesting, to me) resurgence of hardware topics of late to complement all the (more common) 'software talk'. And of course the two go hand-in-hand - hardware generally needs software to make it do something useful, and software is no good unless you have hardware to run it on.

I, like Keith, prefer to work on my own little projects at my own pace for my personal satisfaction, rather than collaboration or brainstorming. I've spent the last couple of weeks designing and building an IDE interface for my TM990 system and am currently developing a very basic 'operating system' to run on it.

Stuart.

--- In [email-masked], Keith Bergman <exiletoledo@...> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM, opry99er <owenbrand@...> wrote:
> 
> >
> >

---

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:56:43 -0500

I, for one, was very offended, as the internet is VERY serious business.  ;)

I actually feel in over my head in many of the hardware AND software
threads, but it's generally in software that I can at least tread water and
make a little headway.  I am continually in awe of the collective knowledge
of this group, and I'm hoping now that I'm able to devote  more time to my
own projects, I'll eventually have a little to contribute of my own.  (My
kids, wife, and sundry creditors may have something to say about that,
though.)

Keith

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM, sconner3uk <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>
> "... without getting harrumphs about "all this fluffy software talk" (which
> someone actually said, or close to that, recently)."
>
> I do hope that everyone realises that this was a light-hearted comment (may
> be I missed out the required smiley!). There has been an (interesting, to
> me) resurgence of hardware topics of late to complement all the (more
> common) 'software talk'. And of course the two go hand-in-hand - hardware
> generally needs software to make it do something useful, and software is no
> good unless you have hardware to run it on.
>
> I, like Keith, prefer to work on my own little projects at my own pace for
> my personal satisfaction, rather than collaboration or brainstorming. I've
> spent the last couple of weeks designing and building an IDE interface for
> my TM990 system and am currently developing a very basic 'operating system'
> to run on it.
>
> Stuart.
>
> --- In [email-masked] <TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>, Keith Bergman
> <exiletoledo@...> wrote:
> >
> > Owen,
> >
> Commodore
> without
> too. It
> motivating
> they
> developers in

---

From: ti99_forever <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:03:20 -0800 (PST)

Don't feel alone, Keith...My kids, wife and my other life (which isn't that much fun) have taken 90%, so I'm only able to give 10% right now - so sometimes I feel I'm letting the others here down by not being able to contribute as much as they do...

--- On Tue, 11/10/09, Keith Bergman <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TI994A] Re: Programmers?
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2009, 7:56 AM

  

 
I actually feel in over my head in many of the hardware AND software threads, but it's generally in software that I can at least tread water and make a little headway.  I am continually in awe of the collective knowledge of this group, and I'm hoping now that I'm able to devote  more time to my own projects, I'll eventually have a little to contribute of my own.  (My kids, wife, and sundry creditors may have something to say about that, though.)

Keith

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM, sconner3uk <ti99@stuartconner. me.uk> wrote:

Stuart.

> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM, opry99er <owenbrand@.. .> wrote:

---

From: "killroy732000" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:32:39 -0000

Hi folks,

I've been in touch with Albert, that's the guy who runs atariage (http://www.atariage.com)
He's a nice guy and willing to setup a TI-99/4A game programming
section if there is some interest from.... well, not just me ;-)

The thing is that posts there get read by a lot of people. 
That site is really hot. As an example my Pitfall topic has already
gotten more than a 1120 views since September.

As already mentioned I think that -besides our own blogs & sites- this
is a great opportunity to attract new homebrewers to the TI scene.
We could be located next to the Colecovision programming subgroup ;-)

So, if you are interested please contact Albert directly at atariage.
Or just contact me if you agree that I pass your name to him.

Thanks
Filip

---

From: "Tursi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:25:31 -0500

> section if there is some interest from.... well, not just me ;-)

I'm already at AtariAge, so it's fine with me. The occasional thread 
already pops up, we could simply vote by posting. ;)

---

From: "killroy732000" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:49:23 -0000

So far I have 2 persons from the TI listgroup that indicated an interest, that's not much.
Already thought about cancelling the request. 
But I'll wait a few more days to see if I get some more.

In the meantime I'll also add a post at atariage and check out there.
I know some folks there are interested in TI game programming but not interested in going into the Yahoo listgroup.

Cheers
Filip

--- In [email-masked], "kabldb" <kabldb@...> wrote:
>
> I would love our own subgroup there !
> 
> :-)
> 
> 
> --- In [email-masked], "killroy732000" <filip.van-vooren@> wrote:
> >
> > 
> > 
> > Hi folks,
> >

---

From: ti99_forever <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 04:01:10 -0800 (PST)

Why isn't this just being discussed in the forum under a thread on Atariage, the one that includes the TI-99/4a already?
I guess you can pass my name on... not that I consider myself a programmer these days, more like a "Programmer's Encyclopedia Britannica" (a peb, not to be confused with a PAB ;)

--- On Mon, 11/16/09, killroy732000 <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: killroy732000 <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TI994A] Re: Programmers?
To: [email-masked]
Date: Monday, November 16, 2009, 6:49 AM

  

      

Cheers

Filip

--- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com, "kabldb" <kabldb@...> wrote:

> --- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com, "killroy732000" <filip.van-vooren@ > wrote:

> > I've been in touch with Albert, that's the guy who runs atariage (http://www.atariage .com)

---

From: R Halter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:01:23 -0600

> But I'll wait a few more days to see if I get some more.

When I have some free time I can designate as "TI time," I have to 
re-learn everything I've forgotten about BASIC and Extended BASIC (plus 
learn assembly, for the projects where BASIC just won't cut it), but I 
*am* interested.  So you can pass my name/email/whatever on to the 
moderator, as an interested party...

-- 
"Which key is the 'Any' key?"

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:25:58 -0700

Ben,

Or a PEB (AKA Peripheral Expansion Box or TANK).  So what's in your box? 
  I know--Encyclopedias.  I'm also guessing your info is only available 
to Brits.  Or your ancestry is British? :-)

How many guesses do I get?

Bill S

ti99_forever wrote:
>  
> 
> Why isn't this just being discussed in the forum under a thread on 
> Atariage, the one that includes the TI-99/4a already?
> I guess you can pass my name on... not that I consider myself a 
> programmer these days, more like a "Programmer's Encyclopedia 
> Britannica" (a peb, not to be confused with a PAB ;)
> 
> --- On *Mon, 11/16/09, killroy732000 /<[email-masked]>/* wrote:
> 
> 
>     I know some folks there are interested in TI game programming but
>     not interested in going into the Yahoo listgroup.
> 
>     Cheers
>     Filip
> 
>     --- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com
>     </mc/compose?to=TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>, "kabldb" <kabldb@...> wrote:
>      >
>      > --- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com
>     </mc/compose?to=TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>, "killroy732000"
>     <filip.van-vooren@ > wrote:
>      > >
>      > >
>      > >
>      > > Hi folks,
>      > >
>      > > I've been in touch with Albert, that's the guy who runs
>     atariage (http://www.atariage .com <http://www.atariage.com>)

---

From: Marc Hull <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:55:57 -0800 (PST)

Tried to find some info on Atariage but came up dry.  Please post the contact again or pass along my name.

From: killroy732000 <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TI994A] Re: Programmers?
To: [email-masked]
Date: Monday, November 16, 2009, 5:49 AM

  

      

Cheers

Filip

--- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com, "kabldb" <kabldb@...> wrote:

---

From: "killroy732000" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:58:47 -0000

It's just an initative to promote homebrew game programming for the
TI-99/4A in particular, that is why we want to be in the homebrew
subsection. We'll see how it goes.

Being a PEB sure does qualify you ;-)

Filip 

--- In [email-masked], ti99_forever <ti99_forever@...> wrote:
> --- On Mon, 11/16/09, killroy732000 <filip.van-vooren@...> wrote:
> 
> From: killroy732000 <filip.van-vooren@...>
> Â 
> --- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com, "kabldb" <kabldb@> wrote:
> 
> >
>

---

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:32:28 -0500

I just started posting a little bit over there again, about another old
system I recently picked up... I could drop a line about TI stuff, I like
the setup over there and there definitely seems to be a wealth of members
and of enthusiasm for the whole retro computer/gaming thing in general.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 4:28 AM, kabldb <[email-masked]> wrote:

> --- In [email-masked] <TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>, "killroy732000"
> <filip.van-vooren@...> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >

---

From: "killroy732000" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:40:02 -0000

Hi guys,

Today I received the below reply from Albert, the atariage administrator:

<snip>
I will create a TI-99/4A Game Development Forum shortly.
Please pass that on to the Yahoo listgroup.  :)
</snip>

Well, that is good news. Knowing this thread caused a bit of controversy here, 
I'm hoping to meet some new fellow game programmers.
Something in the end we can all benefit from :-)

Cheers
Filip

--- In [email-masked], "killroy732000" <filip.van-vooren@...> wrote:
> --- In [email-masked], mark wills <markrobertwills@> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

---

From: mark wills <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 03:54:50 -0800 (PST)

That's a right result! Well done Filip!

>Sent: Wed, 18 November, 2009 12:40:02
>>--- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com, "killroy732000" <filip.van-vooren@ ...> wrote:
>>>
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Hi folks,
>>> 
>>> --- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com, mark wills <markrobertwills@ > wrote:
>>> >
>>> > <snip>

---

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 06:59:47 -0500

I think this is good for everyone.  Those who want to go wander amongst the
other crazy retro people will bring new ideas back here, and those who don't
will benefit as well.  I know there aren't many of us, but circling the
wagons seems counterproductive, when there are scads of people out there who
might like another crack at the 99/4A.  Luckily for us, the original
hardware is available to be had for a song and is remarkably durable, while
emulators are a click away.  If this brings even a few new faces to the TI
table, and adds a few new ideas to our collective brain, it'll be awesome
all around.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:54 AM, mark wills <[email-masked]>wrote:

> *From:* killroy732000 <[email-masked]>
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Sent:* Wed, 18 November, 2009 12:40:02
> *Subject:* [TI994A] Re: Programmers?
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi guys,
>
> --- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com <TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>, "killroy732000"
> <filip.van-vooren@ ...> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've been in touch with Albert, that's the guy who runs atariage (http://www.atariage
> .com <http://www.atariage.com/>)
> > --- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com <TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>, mark wills
> <markrobertwills@ > wrote:
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > > Also possibly the MSX sites? As they share the same VDP, I'm sure those
> guys would be interested to see what they could squeeze out of the machine.
> > >
> > > Mark,
> > >
> >
>
>  
>

---

From: ti99_forever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 04:11:45 -0800 (PST)

This is the same reason I've been hanging out in comp.sys.cbm, comp.sys.apple2 and others...

It is nice to have a group where mere mention of Commodore or Apple 2 (or even Mac) doesn't generate nasty replies!

--- On Wed, 11/18/09, Keith Bergman <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TI994A] Re: Programmers?
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 6:59 AM

  

      I think this is good for everyone.  Those who want to go wander amongst the other crazy retro people will bring new ideas back here, and those who don't will benefit as well.  I know there aren't many of us, but circling the wagons seems counterproductive, when there are scads of people out there who might like another crack at the 99/4A.  Luckily for us, the original hardware is available to be had for a song and is remarkably durable, while emulators are a click away.  If this brings even a few new faces to the TI table, and adds a few new ideas to our collective brain, it'll be awesome all around.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:54 AM, mark wills <markrobertwills@ yahoo.co. uk> wrote:

From: killroy732000 <filip.van-vooren@ gmx.net>

To: TI994A@yahoogroups. com
Sent: Wed, 18 November, 2009 12:40:02

  

Hi guys,

<snip>

</snip>

Cheers

Filip

---

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 07:15:13 -0500

Oh, come on, even WE are over the computer wars now, aren't we?

Aren't we???

[crickets chirping...]

Uh oh.  ;)

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 7:11 AM, ti99_forever <[email-masked]>wrote:

> It is nice to have a group where mere mention of Commodore or Apple 2 (or
> even Mac) doesn't generate nasty replies!
>
> --- On *Wed, 11/18/09, Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>* wrote:
>
>
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:54 AM, mark wills <markrobertwills@ yahoo.co. uk<http://mc/compose?to=[email-masked]>
> > wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> *From:* killroy732000 <filip.van-vooren@ gmx.net<http://mc/compose?to=[email-masked]>
>> >
>> *To:* TI994A@yahoogroups. com<http://mc/compose?to=[email-masked]>
>> --- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com<http://mc/compose?to=TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>,
>> "killroy732000" <filip.van-vooren@ ...> wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Hi folks,
>> >
>> > --- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com<http://mc/compose?to=TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>,
>> mark wills <markrobertwills@ > wrote:
>> > >
>> > > <snip>
>> > > Also possibly the MSX sites? As they share the same VDP, I'm sure
>> those guys would be interested to see what they could squeeze out of the
>> machine.
>> > >
>> > > Mark,
>> > >
>> >
>>
>>
>
> 
>

---

From: ti99_forever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 04:16:31 -0800 (PST)

Not some of those on the Olug...

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TI994A] Re: Programmers?
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 7:15 AM

  

 
Aren't we???
 
[crickets chirping...]
 
Uh oh.  ;)

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 7:11 AM, ti99_forever <ti99_forever@ yahoo.com> wrote:

--- On Wed, 11/18/09, Keith Bergman <exiletoledo@ gmail.com> wrote:

From: Keith Bergman <exiletoledo@ gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TI994A] Re: Programmers?
To: TI994A@yahoogroups. com

  

 

  

Hi guys,

<snip>

</snip>

Cheers

Filip

--- In TI994A@yahoogroups. com, "killroy732000" <filip.van-vooren@ ...> wrote:

---

From: mark wills <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 04:22:09 -0800 (PST)

MACS SUCK

<runs for cover>

:-)

>
>From: ti99_forever <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Wed, 18 November, 2009 13:11:45

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:14:55 -0700

Keith,

Even I agree, and hope that all that go wandering do bring back good 
things to share with us of limited time and ability who believe they 
must concentrate their efforts on what they believe they do best for 
themselves and this TI community.

Bill S

Keith Bergman wrote:
>  
> 
> I think this is good for everyone.  Those who want to go wander amongst 
> the other crazy retro people will bring new ideas back here, and those 
> who don't will benefit as well.  I know there aren't many of us, but 
> circling the wagons seems counterproductive, when there are scads of 
> people out there who might like another crack at the 99/4A.  Luckily for 
> us, the original hardware is available to be had for a song and is 
> remarkably durable, while emulators are a click away.  If this brings 
> even a few new faces to the TI table, and adds a few new ideas to our 
> collective brain, it'll be awesome all around.
>  
> 
> 
>  
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:54 AM, mark wills <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>      
> 
>         *From:* killroy732000 <[email-masked]
>         <mailto:[email-masked]>>
>         *To:* [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>         <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>, "killroy732000"
>         atariage (http://www.atariage .com <http://www.atariage.com/>)
>         <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>, mark wills <markrobertwills@
>          > wrote:
>          > >
>          > > <snip>
>          > > Also possibly the MSX sites? As they share the same VDP,
>         I'm sure those guys would be interested to see what they could
>         squeeze out of the machine.
>          > >
>          > > Mark,
>          > >
>          >
> 
> 
>