Subject: Re: Tommy Gun IDE-- we are close

From: "killroy732000" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 06:47:11 -0000

As far as assembly language is concerned: 2 weeks ago I was in touch
with Tony and if he does the TMS9918 support, he offered to write an
additional exporter for exporting game maps that could then be used 
in Spectra.
Ofcourse, as I don't have such functionality in the current version
of Spectra, I was quite happy to accept :-)
Let's see how that works out.

I haven't seen an extended basic cross-compiler yet. what I did see
once is a person here in Germany who is rewriting Extended Basic for
usage on a PC. But this is not a cross-compiler, it is more an 
"expanded" extended basic emulator.

Writen an Extended Basic cross-compiler would be a big, fun task ;-)

Filip

--- In [email-masked], "kabldb" <kabldb@...> wrote:
>
> If TommyGun supported TI-99/4A graphics, we would still need to supply a cross platform compiler.
> 
> As far as I know, there are a few TMS 9900 assemblers, but no TI Extended Basic compilers.
> 
> A potential XB compiler should translate text source (XB statements) into XB bytecode (not machinecode as does the assemblers). And somehow graphics, maps etc. should integrate (the assemblers include generated code).
> 
> 
> 
> --- In [email-masked], "opry99er" <owenbrand@> wrote:
> >
> > Listen, faithful TIers.  Some of you may not have been involved in the early conversations with this guy Tony from Tommy Gun... He is considering adding support for the TI99/4a in his newest version of his brilliant (I)ntegrated (D)evelopment (E)nvoronment called "Tommy Gun."  This is a big deal, and would give  all of us programmers and game developers an AWESOME tool... Might even get a few of us off our collective a**es and get back to some "vapour-ware" (as our brother in Tashkent calls it)  that we've all got lurking... Waiting to be finished.  Please, write this guy an email and thank him for working on a /4a IDE... It would help the process along greatly if he could hear from as many of you ad possible.  He and I have actually developed somewhat of a friendship via email, and all this guy wants is to know our community is behind him and this project.  His email is listed below.  Thank you!
> > 
> > Tommygun.ide@
> > 
> > Owen Brand
> >
>

---

From: "Tursi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 02:08:47 -0500

> Writen an Extended Basic cross-compiler would be a big, fun task ;-)

It's something I've talked about doing and is still high on my list.. 
but like many things on my list, someone else may get to it first. ;)

I'd kind of like to do it and have it able to export for MSX and 
ColecoVision, too.. we'll force them to use OUR language. ;)

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 18:19:47 -0500

I asked Tony a few questions about his program that a couple of you  
raised...  He started by saying there was not a native emulator (which  
I asked him). The rest of the email is below.  Peace.

You can use any emulator you like, best if it supports command line  
arguments.
TommyGun is not just a graphics design program, it is intended as a
one stop shop for all game creation.
It falls short of this because I have not completed the sound creation
editor(s).
So at the moment it does graphics, maps, string tables and source code.
It also translates your graphics, maps, string tables (and eventually
sounds) in code for you.
Make a change to a sprite and hit the run emulator button, and if you
have the options selected TommyGun will update your source code,
rebuild the program and run it for you.
No other IDE for retro game development does that for you.
<snip>

That's it so far.  Keep you updated on additional conversations.

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 3, 2009, at 1:47 AM, "killroy732000" <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

> > A potential XB compiler should translate text source (XB  
> statements) into XB bytecode (not machinecode as does the  
> assemblers). And somehow graphics, maps etc. should integrate (the  
> assemblers include generated code).
> >
> >
> >
> > > Listen, faithful TIers. Some of you may not have been involved  
> in the early conversations with this guy Tony from Tommy Gun... He  
> is considering adding support for the TI99/4a in his newest version  
> of his brilliant (I)ntegrated (D)evelopment (E)nvoronment called  
> "Tommy Gun." This is a big deal, and would give all of us  
> programmers and game developers an AWESOME tool... Might even get a  
> few of us off our collective a**es and get back to some "vapour- 
> ware" (as our brother in Tashkent calls it) that we've all got  
> lurking... Waiting to be finished. Please, write this guy an email  
> and thank him for working on a /4a IDE... It would help the process  
> along greatly if he could hear from as many of you ad possible. He  
> and I have actually developed somewhat of a friendship via email,  
> and all this guy wants is to know our community is behind him and  
> this project. His email is listed below. Thank you!
> > >
> > > Tommygun.ide@
> > >
> > > Owen Brand
> > >
> >
>
>