Subject: a way to (partly) de fu......dge WHT.....

From: "Marc H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 01:40:37 -0000

What if instead of trying to store every version of the same cart,  The actual cart dumps were stored in the most popular format in one area and in a separate area the instructions and tools for conversion to the many emulator formats  were kept.  This would eliminate much of the front end confusion and put the responsibility for compatibility on the emulator supporters (who would be more than happy to comply in order to keep up to date.)  If a tool for conversion does not exist for a specific emulator then it's time to build one or let that format go......

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 03:55:11 -0500

Marc, I find this approach very pragmatic and potentially very  
effective.  If we could eliminate much of the duplicate files and  
duplicate games, manuals, etc. by having a uniform format, it would  
really clean up the site and make it more intuitive.  Now the question  
is, "What format?".  I mean, everyone here pretty much can use  
TI99Dir, right?  Fred Kaal's wonder-program could eliminate the need  
to have 3 or 4 programs of the same name and content... I am talking  
about more than just the carts here... Just my two cents... Marc, that  
makes perfect sense

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 13, 2009, at 8:40 PM, "Marc H" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> What if instead of trying to store every version of the same cart,  
> The actual cart dumps were stored in the most popular format in one  
> area and in a separate area the instructions and tools for  
> conversion to the many emulator formats were kept. This would  
> eliminate much of the front end confusion and put the responsibility  
> for compatibility on the emulator supporters (who would be more than  
> happy to comply in order to keep up to date.) If a tool for  
> conversion does not exist for a specific emulator then it's time to  
> build one or let that format go......
>
>

---

From: "Michael Zapf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:12:15 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "Marc H" <marc.hull@...> wrote:
> If a tool for conversion does not exist for a specific emulator then it's time to build one or let that format go......
>

Please don't forget that I created the RPK format also for storing metadata, i.e. information about the cartridge (year, manufacturer, description, possibly later also graphics or photographs of the cartridge), beside the dumps. So this information cannot be automatically created but must be preserved.

RPKs are zip files; if you are interested, unzip them and have a look.

Michael

---

From: Insane Multitasker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:09:44 -0600

Tiny wrench time! (yes, there is an 'r' in that word)

One thing that could get us in trouble is the many cartridges that were "fixed" for the Geneve and/or 80 column devices (ie, V9938, V9958 video).  I would presume most of them are contained on disk images specific to the offending device.  (Geneve carts are loaded by disk and not through the emulator menu).  If true, they just need to be maintained separately. 

The disks then become a special case for your suggestion, Marc.  I seem to recall running across one or two good compilations that might be a good starting point.   Looks like picking a proper, common format and understanding how (or if) that format can be converted are two important steps to work through :)

Tim

> To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 01:40:37 +0000
> Subject: [TI994A] a way to (partly) de fu......dge WHT.....
> 
> ------------------------------------
> 
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> 
> 
> 
 		 	   		  
_________________________________________________________________
Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/