Subject: The BASIC compiler

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 14:41:50 -0500

OK, I have an idea for a simple, kinetic game with a lot of
character-graphic movement, but no sprites.  I was messing around with some
XB coding for it last night, and realized it'll likely run too slowly to be
much fun, and it occurred to me that I could probably pull the whole concept
off in 16K in console BASIC, and then use that compiler that's been
discussed.  I don't have it and haven't used it, though, so I wondered if
there were any quirks I'd need to know about before starting my coding.  I
assume that once I see it compiled, I'll need to go back and add some delay
loops and things in there (my assumption based on the comments Walid
Mallouli made on his site about his compiled "Puck-Man" game).  But besides
that, is there anything I should avoid or watch out for?

Keith

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:15:42 -0500

Walid is the only guy I know of who has successfully compiled a BASIC  
program using Wilhelm's compiler.  Not that there aren't more, as I am  
sure there are.  I had a good email conversation with him about the  
compiler at one point, and from what I understand, if you are using  
console BASIC then there isn't much to worry about.  Single statement  
lines, no sprites.... You should be able to just rip it and run.  I  
suggest 2 things.  First, DL "Camelot" from the FTP site and try  
compiling it.  It's a nice example of a true BASIC game using multiple  
colors, multiple moving objects, etc.  Fairly intricate for BASIC.   
Secondly, shoot Walid an email.  His experience with "TI Puck" should  
tell you all you need to know.  Peace.

Owen Brand
**Oprysoft**
Opry99er.com

On Nov 4, 2009, at 2:41 PM, Keith Bergman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> character-graphic movement, but no sprites.  I was messing around  
> with some XB coding for it last night, and realized it'll likely run  
> too slowly to be much fun, and it occurred to me that I could  
> probably pull the whole concept off in 16K in console BASIC, and  
> then use that compiler that's been discussed.  I don't have it and  
> haven't used it, though, so I wondered if there were any quirks I'd  
> need to know about before starting my coding.  I assume that once I  
> see it compiled, I'll need to go back and add some delay loops and  
> things in there (my assumption based on the comments Walid Mallouli  
> made on his site about his compiled "Puck-Man" game).  But besides