Subject: Slymoids

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 08:59:48 -0500

I just saw a very cool YouTube video on "Slymoids.". I'm wondering how  
they got such smooth side-scrolling action on that game!!!  Sorta  
trumps the majority of the other side scrollers I've seen such as  
Defender and the like.  In fact, I can't think of another side- 
scroller that looks this good!!  Probably impossible in any BASIC  
variation, but I was curious as to whether there is anything of the  
sort out there that even comes close in XB.  I did not find anything  
on the gameshelf... Karsten posted a very cool brick scroller on  
Atariage in XB... Perhaps I should start with his mechanics and move  
from there....  I'm wanting to use this side-scroll "animation" for a  
very specific purpose in the RPG I'm working on...  :).

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

---

From: "ti99_forever" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:26:43 -0000

I don't recall it being "smooth". ISTM that it was 8-pixel at a time (character) scrolling, the easiest of all to do - even in XB, although XB isn't fast enough.

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 09:40:34 -0500

Hmmm... Perhaps the video resolution wasn't good enough on the video I  
saw to notice the blockiness.  If you're correct, though, and that's  
how it was done, then I shall examine Karsten's code. Matter of fact,  
I'll just post it here below so you can try it out.  It's a trick, but  
a very cool one.  :)

I THINK this was it.   It's stored on my iPhone but I have 4 or 5 XB  
tricks on here--- not sure if this is the right one

100 CALL CLEAR
110 CALL SCREEN(2)
120 CALL CHAR(33,"FF")
130 CALL HCHAR(1,1,40,256)
140 CALL HCHAR(8,1,33,32)
150 CALL COLOR(1,15,1)
160 CALL COLOR(2,15,7)
170 CALL CHAR(40,"FF202020FF020202")
180 CALL CHAR(40,"FF404040FF040404")
190 CALL CHAR(40,"FF808080FF080808")
200 CALL CHAR(40,"FF010101FF10101")
210 CALL CHAR(40,"FF020202FF20202")
220 CALL CHAR(40,"FF040404FF40404")
230 CALL CHAR(40,"FF080808FF80808")
240 CALL CHAR(40,"FF101010FF010101")
250 GOTO 170

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

On Feb 28, 2010, at 9:26 AM, "ti99_forever" <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

> I don't recall it being "smooth". ISTM that it was 8-pixel at a time  
> (character) scrolling, the easiest of all to do - even in XB,  
> although XB isn't fast enough.
>

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 09:49:52 -0500

Of course the one I posted isn't TECHNICALLY a scroller, but it is at  
least a starting point.... If you're just scrolling the same patterns  
over and over, it can be done this way... That may be what I'll do for  
this game.  What I'm looking for is not gameplay, but a brief  
animation (5-10 seconds) before the party encounters a boss... Music  
playing in the background--- ominous.  The characters are "walking"  
through a hallway into the "chamber of doom/death/destruction (insert  
your scary impending danger noun here).  This will probably suffice if  
I just modify it slightly to suit my needs.

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

---

From: mark wills <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:38:42 -0800 (PST)

Looks like 8 pixel scrolling to me - it's just fast, so it looks smoother than it actually is... What a cool game though... Very nicely done, someone spent a lot of time on that!!

----- Original Message ----
> From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Sent: Sun, 28 February, 2010 13:59:48
> Subject: [TI994A] Slymoids
> 
> ------------------------------------
> 
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> 
> 
>

---

From: "Bryan Roppolo Boulder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:12:29 -0500

Dear Mark,
	I talked with the programmer James von Ehr II who programmed the
game in his own time along with Sneggit while working in the systems
department or some other non-fun department at TI.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
mark wills
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TI994A] Slymoids

Looks like 8 pixel scrolling to me - it's just fast, so it looks smoother
than it actually is... What a cool game though... Very nicely done, someone
spent a lot of time on that!!

----- Original Message ----

Yahoo! Groups Links