Subject: ToD characters

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:40:58 -0500

Does anyone know the actual size of the Tunnels of Doom characters?  I  
thought they were 2x2, but working with some SPRITE patterns on  
Karsten's site, it appears that the ToD characters are a bit larger  
than that---due to resolution.  I could not recreate my custom ToD  
game characters in PATTERNs.swf... Perhaps the ToD characters are  
3x3?  4x4?

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:11:13 -0500

Got it figured out... My video filter was not set properly--- had to  
turn it "off" to get the resolution I wanted.  The more I use  
Classic99, the more I love it!!!

One thing though, Tursi (or anyone who has experienced this)--- on  
this new laptop, I haven't been able to get it to record/save video...  
In the ini file, the only video setting I can find is the name and  
location of the saved video--I changed both as a troubleshooting  
technique but to no avail.  I am POSITIVE it's user error-- maybe a  
setting in my OS that allows Classic99 to save.... Don't know.  Any  
ideas?

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

On Feb 21, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Owen Brand <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Does anyone know the actual size of the Tunnels of Doom characters?   
> I thought they were 2x2, but working with some SPRITE patterns on

---

From: "Tursi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:54:23 -0800

> setting in my OS that allows Classic99 to save.... Don't know.  Any

I would suggest that you try different codecs, maybe some are not compatible 
with the bitdepth Classic99 uses. The new VDP (whenever it happens) will run 
32-bit instead of 16-bit, which is better supported.

I just tried a few here on Windows 7 64-bit.. XVID crashed the emulator, 
Microsoft Video 1 reports "failed to start compression" in the log, Intel 
IYUV worked but no file was written, Cinepak did the same, and Full Frames 
crashed the emulator.

The default path for AVI files is "C:\Classic99.AVI" -- newer versions of 
Windows (Vista, 7, etc) lock down the file system to non-privileged users, 
and generally you can not write files to the root of the drive anymore. So 
you should change the path to one where you have write access, which is 
usually NOT in the root of the drive, NOT under Program Files.. but 
somewhere that you can save temporary files. (On my machine I use C:\NEW, 
which I created). So that may also be the issue. Classic99 does not seem to 
get any error at all when that happens.

The error handling could admittedly be a lot better.. I've ignored the video 
recording for a long time because I don't know a lot about it. But those 
tips should get you working, anyway!

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:24:19 -0500

Brilliant!!!!  I created a new file "NEW" in root "C:/", determined  
that the proper codex for my use is "INTEL Indio 4.5"--- works  
beautifully now--- thank you, sir.

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

---

From: "kabldb" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:35:00 -0000

Glad you worked it out.

I don't know ToD very well, but looks like some are  16x16 ?
http://sometimes.99er.net/tod.html

An Interview with Hank Mishkoff:
http://tinyurl.com/ygfy9oj

;-)