Subject: Thin Ice - new game

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:26:56 -0400

Attached is a new game I wrote in Extended BASIC for the programming contest
over at AtariAge.  It's called "Thin Ice."  In it, you're a penguin who must
pick up treasure chests as you cross a frozen, but thawing, river.  Each
step you take causes more and more cracks in the ice - fall into the water
and it's game over (apparently, you're the only penguin on eath unable to
swim in cold water).

I recommend using the "CPU Overdrive" option if you run it in Classic99.
It'll work in regular mode, and on real hardware, but the ice cracking tends
to get slow.

Docs are included with the .ZIP file.  Comments are welcome - would love
some feedback.

Thanks!
Keith

---

From: "Ksarul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:51:24 -0400

I'll try and look at it sometime this week, assuming my class schedule
leaves me enough time for some fun  :-)

Jim

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Keith Bergman
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:27 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TI994A] Thin Ice - new game [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from Keith Bergman included below] 

Attached is a new game I wrote in Extended BASIC for the programming contest
over at AtariAge. It's called "Thin Ice." In it, you're a penguin who must
pick up treasure chests as you cross a frozen, but thawing, river. Each step
you take causes more and more cracks in the ice - fall into the water and
it's game over (apparently, you're the only penguin on eath unable to swim
in cold water).

Docs are included with the .ZIP file. Comments are welcome - would love some
feedback.

Thanks!

Keith

---

From: "Bryan Roppolo Boulder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:51:51 -0400

Cool and neat. Were you inspired by the Intellivision game called Thin Ice
by any chance? Look it up on-line, since it is a cool game as well.

  _____  

Thanks!

Keith

Attachment(s) from Keith Bergman 

1 of 1 File(s) 

  <http://l.yimg.com/kq/static/images/yg/img/doc/zip16x16.gif> 

THINICE1-1.zip
<http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/32321059/569038021/name/THINICE1-1%2Ezip>

---

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:04:53 -0400

I'd never seen it (I have an Intellivision, but have rarely had it hooked
up, so not too familiar with its games).  I thought of the method of
changing each square first, using GCHAR and simply adding to the character's
ASCII code without needing a bunch of variables.  Once I started messing
with that, the rest of the idea sorta fell together - I had no concept of
ice, penguins, etc till I just started coding on the fly.

(Yes, that's a penguin... I'm not much of an artist.)  :)

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Bryan Roppolo Boulder
<[email-masked]>wrote:

>
>
>  Cool and neat. Were you inspired by the Intellivision game called Thin
> Ice by any chance? Look it up on-line, since it is a cool game as well.
>
>
>  ------------------------------
>
> *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On Behalf
> Of *Keith Bergman
> *Sent:* Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:27 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [TI994A] Thin Ice - new game [1 Attachment]
>
>
>
> *[Attachment(s)<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=js&name=js&ver=fp2i85j8pFY.en.&am=!cL7InDguVs65Zd1hkMxWwiH7_qROA29f_pYGgjxPujEPI0s#12767b094e133318_TopText>from Keith Bergman included below]
> *
>
>
>   Attached is a new game I wrote in Extended BASIC for the programming
> contest over at AtariAge.  It's called "Thin Ice."  In it, you're a penguin
> who must pick up treasure chests as you cross a frozen, but thawing, river.
> Each step you take causes more and more cracks in the ice - fall into the
> water and it's game over (apparently, you're the only penguin on eath unable
> to swim in cold water).
>
>
>