Subject: Seeking know-how or available solution(s)

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:31:37 -0700

Is there a way to convert GK files to simple dump format?  What would 
happen to files that are suppose to be moved to expansion memory?  Same 
questions for Gram Packer GK files?  I need these for the MESS TI 
emulator.  I'm guessing this idea won't work for files that need to be 
moved to expansion memory at selection time.

Is there an 80 column version of the E/A EDIT1 file somewhere out 
there?  Also needed for the MESS TI emulator.

Bill S

---

From: "Tony Knerr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:32:50 -0000

Bill,

The GK files are converted as follows:

Transfer them to your PC so you can use a file editor on them.
If there's a TIFILES 128 byte header, remove that.

Remove the 6 byte GK headers. They're similar to program image file headers  in that they start with >FF or >00. Bytes 3 & 4 should be >2000 (number of bytes) to load, and bytes 5 & 6 are the address of where to load the file.  

The first rom bank file should have a name that ends in ".c"

The second rom bank file should have a name that ends in ".d"

The "stripped of headers" grom files need to be combined into
one file. This file must be a continuous memory image from g>6000
to g>FFFF, or whatever the highest memory address used is. If you have a cart that skips a grom in the middle, you have to insert
data to take that space in the file, zeros are suggested for this.
The grom bank(s) file should have a name that ends in ".g".

I use the pc program "Hex Workshop" to do this, but any similar
file editor will do.

I'm pretty sure there was an 80 column EDITA1 file shipped with the HSGPL, but I haven't checked those disks since I first got the card.
Maybe someone's got the disk handy if you can't find it.
I had no use for the file as I use the 80 column Funnelweb.

I think all the carts have already been converted, so what are you up to, Bill? ;)

Tony

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 08:08:58 -0700

Hi Tony,

Very good, but I am very familiar with the GK 6 byte header as I still 
have the GK manual, so I know what to strip off, but what to do after 
that I have no clue, so thanks a ton for this precise process.

Primarily I want to convert Winfried Winkler's 80 column ED/ASM module 
that I extracted from my HSGPL card, and converted to GK format for use 
on the MESS emulator.  If it's already been done I didn't see it, but 
I'll look again if you know it's there in RPK format.

I also have some Gram Packer files that I commonly use, to convert as I 
don't see a method to  create them in RPK format.  Any help with this 
will be much appreciated.  Do you think there's a way to make 
MSAVE/MSAVE6 work in the MESS TI emulator?  Or do I have to do them on a 
real TI then do a cartridge dump or save in GK format, move to PC and 
use your conversion process, so they can be turned into a RPK?

Bill S

Tony Knerr wrote:
> Remove the 6 byte GK headers. They're similar to program image file 
> headers in that they start with >FF or >00. Bytes 3 & 4 should be >2000 
> (number of bytes) to load, and bytes 5 & 6 are the address of where to 
> load the file.
> 
> to g>FFFF, or whatever the highest memory address used is. If you have a 
> cart that skips a grom in the middle, you have to insert
> I'm pretty sure there was an 80 column EDITA1 file shipped with the 
> HSGPL, but I haven't checked those disks since I first got the card.
> --- In [email-masked] <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>, fdos 
> <fdosbrs@...> wrote:
>  >

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 08:45:38 -0700

Tony,

I did find the 40 column version of Winfried Winkler's Ed/ASM which is 
useful, and I use it on my CF7A+ system, but the 80 column version is 
what I need for the MESS TI EVPC emulator.

Bill S

fdos wrote:
> ------------------------------------
> 
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> 
> 
> 
>

---

From: Tony Knerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 11:19:26 -0500

Bill,

For MSAVE to work in MESS, the write protect on  the grom area needs to 
be turned off.
Perhaps Michael can add a dipswitch for it?

Tony

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:46:12 -0700

Tony,

Michael will have to respond to this request.  However, once that option 
is available then GK loaders can work and also Gram Packer.  Here's 
hoping with a happy smile. :-)

Bill S

---

From: "Michael Zapf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 00:27:09 -0000

Hello Bill,

> hoping with a happy smile. :-)

What is MSAVE/MSAVE6? What does it have to do with writing to GROMs?

Michael

---

From: Tony Knerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:41:06 -0500

> What is MSAVE/MSAVE6? What does it have to do with writing to GROMs?
Michael,

They're Gram Kracker utilities that allow you to store and run Basic 
programs from Grom.
But for them to create the Groms, they need to write to that memory area.
A dipswitch to allow Grom writing in Mess would make that possible, and 
be useful in
a number of other ways. It is a good request. :)

Tony

---

From: "Michael Zapf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:17:43 -0000

Do we have (G)ROM dumps of the chips in the GRAM Kracker?

Interesting device ... never had one.

Michael

---

From: "hexbus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:50:20 -0000

Yes, I have one.  I dumped it late last year.

I'll e-mail it to you.

Jon

---

From: "hexbus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:57:18 -0000

Michael, I also e-mailed you the 16K DSR EPROM for the 9900 Compact Expansion System.

Probably something else we need to save for posterity.

Jon

--- In [email-masked], "hexbus" <jon@...> wrote:
> --- In [email-masked], "Michael Zapf" <newsmail09@> wrote:
> >
> > 
> >

---

From: Tony Knerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:06:19 -0500

Hey, can I get a copy!?

Tony

hexbus wrote:
> --- In [email-masked] <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>, 
> "Michael Zapf" <newsmail09@...> wrote:
> >
> >
> >

---

From: "hexbus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:14:48 -0000

I e-mailed it to you - let me know if you don't receive it.

Thanks,
Jon

--- In [email-masked], Tony Knerr <tonyknerr@...> wrote:
> > "Michael Zapf" <newsmail09@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > >

---

From: TIMOTHY KIRSCH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:33:34 -0600

Any way i can get a copy and also the p card rom I have it for pc99 but not for mess. Thanks. Tim

[email-masked]

16K DSR EPROM for the 9900 Compact Expansion System.

To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:57:18 +0000
Subject: [TI994A] Re: Seeking know-how or available solution(s)

Jon

> > Interesting device ... never had one.

_________________________________________________________________
Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469226/direct/01/

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:13:09 -0700

Tony,

FYI  I was able to find a free PC hex editor (HxD) to strip and merge 
the 80 column editor version of WW (Winfried Winkler) E/A GK module that 
was converted from HSGPL format into a single binary file and add the 
DEBUG 2 selection from the 40 column version.  I also added Michael's 
Super Space II part to the RPK version, so I could make specific TI 
BASIC+ (for BCART) and X4th99 (for development tools) versions (and 
others).

Sorry it took me so long, but I had to revamp my TI/Geneve Win98SE PC 
peripheral first.  Thanks again for the process description which made 
this a pretty easy task.

Bill S