Subject: Transferring my TI Library

From: "atrax27407" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 04:57:40 -0000

I would like to transfer my TI library (1500+ disks) to a CD for permanent storage. Initially, I thought about archiving each of them with Archiver 3.04, adding a TIFILES header, and dumping them to a 3.5" PC-formatted disks to eventually burn on a CD. That process, although time-consuming, would be the most compact for each of the disks and the total space on the CD. It would also be VERY slow going!

An alternative would be to convert the TI-formatted disks to .dsk format and then transport them to the PC. The complicating factor is that my two systems are too far apart for a serial cable. That means that I would have to use PC-TRANSFER (or some other means) for an intermediary. Anyone have any suggestions of how best to accomplish this task?

---

From: mark wills <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 07:46:42 +0000 (GMT)

When you say too far apart, how far apart are they? You'd be surprised how far you can run RS232 cables. We regularly run 50 metres at work at 19200, using just three core mains cable! At the baud rates that the TI runs at, you shouldn't really have a problem. I would wire up the handshaking if possible - a lot of people omit them, and it always causes problems. RTS and CTS should be enough. You can't use XON/XOFF as you'll be transferring binary files.

Mark

----- Original Message ----
> From: atrax27407 <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Sent: Mon, 5 April, 2010 5:57:40
> Subject: [TI994A] Transferring my TI Library
> 
> I would like to transfer my TI library (1500+ disks) to a CD for permanent 
> storage. Initially, I thought about archiving each of them with Archiver 3.04, 
> adding a TIFILES header, and dumping them to a 3.5" PC-formatted disks to 
> eventually burn on a CD. That process, although time-consuming, would be the 
> most compact for each of the disks and the total space on the CD. It would also 
> be VERY slow going!

An alternative would be to convert the TI-formatted 
> disks to .dsk format and then transport them to the PC. The complicating factor 
> is that my two systems are too far apart for a serial cable. That means that I 
> would have to use PC-TRANSFER (or some other means) for an intermediary. Anyone 
> have any suggestions of how best to accomplish this 
> task?

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups 
> Links

> >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/

> href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/join" target=_blank 
> >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/join
    (Yahoo! ID 
> required)

> href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked] 
> 
    
> href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]

> ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" 
> href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]

> href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/" target=_blank 
> >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "epergrem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 09:12:02 -0000

Bob,
1500 TI disks will fit onto a CD with room to spare. There really is no need to archive them, unless you just want to.  

The PC99 utilities are perfect for what you want to do.  If you don't have them, then you can get the lite version of PC99 for less than $50, which includes the utilities. You'll also want a computer that runs Windows 98 or MS-DOS (not XP).  

You could also try Paolo's TI99-PC if the machines aren't close, but it's not a 100% solution, due to a sometimes problems with "sector 0" or possibly incompatible motherboard.  If you have a bunch of 2880 sector disks, then TI99-PC may be your only choice, though I'm not sure if it handles them.

In the end though you'll likely have to give in and locate the two mahcines near each other if they aren't already.  

Ernie

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 07:37:39 -0400

A CD like that would be worth alot to quite a few people. :). One CD  
containing 1500 TI disks.... Wow.  :)

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

On Apr 5, 2010, at 12:57 AM, "atrax27407" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I would like to transfer my TI library (1500+ disks) to a CD for  
> permanent storage. Initially, I thought about archiving each of them  
> with Archiver 3.04, adding a TIFILES header, and dumping them to a  
> 3.5" PC-formatted disks to eventually burn on a CD. That process,  
> although time-consuming, would be the most compact for each of the  
> disks and the total space on the CD. It would also be VERY slow going!
>
> An alternative would be to convert the TI-formatted disks to .dsk  
> format and then transport them to the PC. The complicating factor is  
> that my two systems are too far apart for a serial cable. That means  
> that I would have to use PC-TRANSFER (or some other means) for an  
> intermediary. Anyone have any suggestions of how best to accomplish  
> this task?
>
>

---

From: "Ksarul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 07:54:12 -0400

I've run RS-232 cables up to about 250 feet on an older terminal system I
used to work on (early '80s).  The RS-232 specification expects the machine
to drive the signal at least 300 feet though, which should cover just about
anything I could imagine in a normal house environment. . .

Jim

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
mark wills
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 3:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TI994A] Transferring my TI Library

When you say too far apart, how far apart are they? You'd be surprised how
far you can run RS232 cables. We regularly run 50 metres at work at 19200,
using just three core mains cable! At the baud rates that the TI runs at,
you shouldn't really have a problem. I would wire up the handshaking if
possible - a lot of people omit them, and it always causes problems. RTS and
CTS should be enough. You can't use XON/XOFF as you'll be transferring
binary files.

Mark

----- Original Message ----
> From: atrax27407 <rmcarmany@aol. <mailto:rmcarmany%40aol.com> com>
> To: TI994A@yahoogroups. <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com> com

Yahoo! Groups 

> >http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/>
yahoo.com/group/TI994A/

> href="http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/join>
yahoo.com/group/TI994A/join" target=_blank 
> >http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/join>
yahoo.com/group/TI994A/join
(Yahoo! ID 

> href="mailto:TI994A-digest@ <mailto:TI994A-digest%40yahoogroups.com>
yahoogroups.com">TI994A-digest@ <mailto:TI994A-digest%40yahoogroups.com>
yahoogroups.com 

> href="mailto:TI994A-fullfeatured
<mailto:TI994A-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>
@yahoogroups.com">TI994A-fullfeatured
<mailto:TI994A-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com> @yahoogroups.com

> ymailto="mailto:TI994A-unsubscribe@
<mailto:TI994A-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com" 
> href="mailto:TI994A-unsubscribe@
<mailto:TI994A-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
yahoogroups.com">TI994A-unsubscribe@
<mailto:TI994A-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

> href="http://docs. <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
yahoo.com/info/terms/" target=_blank 
> >http://docs. <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 07:56:01 -0400

Rs232-wifi, rs232-Bluetooth, rs232-USB

With the rs232 to USB, you could utilize a laptop and rip it all  
straight to it.  :)

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

On Apr 5, 2010, at 7:54 AM, "Ksarul" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I’ve run RS-232 cables up to about 250 feet on an older terminal sys 
> tem I used to work on (early ‘80s).  The RS-232 specification expect 
> s the machine to drive the signal at least 300 feet though, which sh 
> ould cover just about anything I could imagine in a normal house env 
> ironment. . .
>
>
>
> Jim
>
>
>
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On  
> Behalf Of mark wills
> When you say too far apart, how far apart are they? You'd be  
> surprised how far you can run RS232 cables. We regularly run 50  
> metres at work at 19200, using just three core mains cable! At the  
> baud rates that the TI runs at, you shouldn't really have a problem.  
> I would wire up the handshaking if possible - a lot of people omit  
> them, and it always causes problems. RTS and CTS should be enough.  
> You can't use XON/XOFF as you'll be transferring binary files.
>
> Mark
>
> permanent

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 09:26:42 -0700

As previously stated I have experience with RS-232 lengths greater than 
500 feet at 9600 bps.

I also have experience transferring program image (w/TIFILES header) 
files at 19200 bps (XON/XOFF) using Magic FM.

Bill S

mark wills wrote:
>  
> 
> When you say too far apart, how far apart are they? You'd be surprised 
> how far you can run RS232 cables. We regularly run 50 metres at work at 
> 19200, using just three core mains cable! At the baud rates that the TI 
> runs at, you shouldn't really have a problem. I would wire up the 
> handshaking if possible - a lot of people omit them, and it always 
> causes problems. RTS and CTS should be enough. You can't use XON/XOFF as 
> you'll be transferring binary files.
> 
> Mark
> 
>  > From: atrax27407 <[email-masked] <mailto:rmcarmany%40aol.com>>
>  > To: [email-masked] <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/>
> 
>  > href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/join 
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/join>" target=_blank
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/join>
> (Yahoo! ID
>  > required)
> 
>  > href="mailto:[email-masked] 
> <mailto:TI994A-digest%40yahoogroups.com>">[email-masked] 
> <mailto:TI994A-digest%40yahoogroups.com>
>  >
> 
>  > href="mailto:[email-masked] 
> <mailto:TI994A-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>">[email-masked] 
>  > ymailto="mailto:[email-masked] 
> <mailto:TI994A-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>"
>  > href="mailto:[email-masked] 
> <mailto:TI994A-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>">[email-masked] 
>  > href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 
> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>" target=_blank
>  > >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
> 
>

---

From: "Paolo Bagnaresi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 22:18:29 +0200

TI99-PC works perfectly well with 2880 sector disks. It works well with 
5760 sector disks too!

I just would like to point out that TI99-PC will never give you any 
problem for any density above Single Density (SD). So, Double Density, 
Quad Density (a misnomer for 80 track disks), and High Density disks work 
perfectly well with TI99-PC.
Only Single Density floppies need a PC motherboard that is Single Density 
compatible.

Sector 0 problem is a disk problem, not a mobo problem. It can be found on 
disks that have been formatted with Ottawa User Group Disk Manager 1000 
and similar. Those disks are not particcularly common, although you may 
indeed bump into a user that has used Disk Manager 1000 for years, and 
that's gonna be a problem.
At any rate, the sector 0 issue can be overcome by using a modified floppy 
drive cable, adding a couple of switches to it. It's a minor hardware mod, 
it takes only little soldering skill, nothing more. I have a doc 
explaining in detail how to go about. Just e-mail me for it and you'll be 
able to fix your cable yourself.

Ti99-PC 3.2.1 is compatible with any current Windows OS, except for their 
64 bit versions (x86_64 XP, Vista, 7). If Jason Watton is willing to write 
a 64 bit driver for OmniFlop, TI99-PC will soon be updated to 64 bit too.

You may find TI99-PC 3.2.1 at:
ftp://ftp.whtech.com/pc%20utilities/TI99-PC%203.2.1.%20Password%20'TI99'.rar
The sitelist.txt file at whtech is *NOT* updated.

Good news for Single Density users:
If you are upgrading your PC, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard could be a 
good choice. It is Single Density compatible. It's an LGA 1366 mobo for 
Intel i7 processors. Quite powerful and a bit expensive too. On the down 
side, I wasn't able to install Windows 95/98/Me on it; you are stuck to 
Windows XP, Vista, 7. Now, you just can't have everything, can you? :-)

Have fun with your TI!

Paolo

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "epergrem" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 11:12 AM
Subject: [TI994A] Re: Transferring my TI Library

Bob,
1500 TI disks will fit onto a CD with room to spare. There really is no 
need to archive them, unless you just want to.

The PC99 utilities are perfect for what you want to do.  If you don't have 
them, then you can get the lite version of PC99 for less than $50, which 
includes the utilities. You'll also want a computer that runs Windows 98 
or MS-DOS (not XP).

You could also try Paolo's TI99-PC if the machines aren't close, but it's 
not a 100% solution, due to a sometimes problems with "sector 0" or 
possibly incompatible motherboard.  If you have a bunch of 2880 sector 
disks, then TI99-PC may be your only choice, though I'm not sure if it 
handles them.

In the end though you'll likely have to give in and locate the two 
mahcines near each other if they aren't already.

Ernie

--- In [email-masked], "atrax27407" <rmcarmany@...> wrote:
> with Archiver 3.04, adding a TIFILES header, and dumping them to a 3.5" 
> PC-formatted disks to eventually burn on a CD. That process, although 
> time-consuming, would be the most compact for each of the disks and the 
> total space on the CD. It would also be VERY slow going!
>

---

From: "kirschtf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 23:12:05 -0000

My suggestion depends on who you are doing it for.Yourself what ever way is best for your needs. If to back it up for all then I would leave them not archiver. Cost of cd or dvd are cheap now. Most disk were sssd . The reason for that was to cover as much user as possible as a large us 90k size.Corcomp and Myarc could read them with no problem if unless my memory is correct.Why not keep method as simple as possible to cover as large as audiance. Just my two cents. Tim