Subject: Re: [TI994A] Archiver 4.0+

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 14:35:17 EDT

Bill,
 
I have chosen an alternate route by using TI99Dir and PC-TRANSFER. I can  
compress with Archiver, use PC-TRANSFER to add the TIFILES header and, at the 
 same time transfer the contents to a 3.5" PC-formatted disk. Since the 
720K PC  disk will hold 2880 sectors, I think I can get 4 DSSD disks or 2 DSDD 
disks  (un-compressed) on each one. By archiving and compressing, I can 
likely get 10  (or more disks per PC-formatted disk.
TI99Dir can extract the files from the CD and I can reverse the process on  
the other end on the TI. It will likely take a good bit of time but the 
process  is tried and true. 
 
The problem with V9T9 format is that the disk images are of a fixed length  
no matter what size the actual data occupies on the disk. While that is not 
much  of a consideration on the target CD, it would reduce the number of 
disks (i.e.,  files) that I would be able to transfer physically from my TI to 
the PC at a  single pass. I reckon that with my method, I would be able to 
fill 2 or 3  PC-formatted disks and dump the lot to a folder on the PC which 
would be 20+  disks at a time. Being semi-retired, time is something that I 
have in  excess!
 
The modification to ARCHIVER would be nice if, for example, you need to  
compress and store several disks. Just set your input drive and specifications 
 once and all that would be left is to enter your target filename for each  
disk.    
 
Bob  Carmany

In a message dated 4/5/2010 1:06:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

HI Bob,

I understand as we all try to optimize our goal  with our hardware and 
software capability.  I chose the V9T9 image  route because I intend to 
make a CD for use with CD-Commander on my TI  systems equipped with a 
SCSI 16 x CD-ROM drive.

Here are a few  alternative methods for you to consider:

1. Use TI99-PC on your PC to  put the TIFILES header only on the 
compressed files as you will only  extract the internal files on a 
TI/Geneve system.  Burn archived  files to CD-ROM.

2. Transfer your compressed files to your PC using  Magic FM which can 
also add the TIFILES header.  Burn archived files  to CD-ROM.

No modifications to ARCHIVER program required.

Bill  S

[email-masked] wrote:
>  
> 
>  Bill,
>  
> Since the output will be for my own use, I  thought that I would use 
> Archiver and archive the disks, add a  TIFILES header and dump them to a 
> PC-formatted disk with PC-TRANSFER,  and then move them to a folder on 
> the PC for burning on a CD. The  advantage is that the files would be 
> more compact (all of the disks  are NOT full) and I could do either DSSD 
> or DSDD disks without  problems. PC-TRANSFER and Archiver do a good job 
> of re-constituting  them on the other end. I would also be able to pack 
> more disks onto a  single PC-formatted disk that way. The trade off is 
> that it would be  more time consuming. It would be nice if ARCHIVER 3.04 
> or 4.0 would  allow for a pseudo-box format routine where the source 
> drive would  remain the same as would the choices to compress all of the 
> files on  the disk and the output filename only would need to be selected.
>   
> *Bob Carmany
> *
>  
> *In a message dated  4/5/2010 12:09:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 
> [email-masked]  writes:*
> 
>     *Back when I was transferring  large quantity of TI/Geneve Diskettes
>     to  my
>     PC I used my Geneve and Barry Boone's ARCHIVER  to compress the up to
>     720K diskette of files to  single files that were then copied to 
1.44MB
>      diskettes, and extracted to 720K V9T9 .DSK images ideal for  
TI/Geneve
>     MESS emulators using TI99-PC, and easy to  backup on my PC to CD or
>     what-ever.
>  
>     Bill S
> 
>      *
> 
>  

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups  Links

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:19:19 -0700

Bob,

Obviously, over the years I've spoiled myself with so much high capacity 
media space (HFDC/SCSI/IDE) on my TI/Geneve systems, that I don't think 
in your terms any more.  Way back when I did use PC-Transfer and 
Archiver for TI/PC transfers.  Just not in the last two decades.

I'm fully retired and can never find enough time for all the hobby stuff 
I want to do.  I think just maintaining all the PC/TI/Geneve stuff takes 
so much time there's none left over for the fun stuff. :-(

Bill S

[email-masked] wrote:
> compress with Archiver, use PC-TRANSFER to add the TIFILES header and, 
> at the same time transfer the contents to a 3.5" PC-formatted disk. 
> Since the 720K PC disk will hold 2880 sectors, I think I can get 4 DSSD 
> disks or 2 DSDD disks (un-compressed) on each one. By archiving and 
> compressing, I can likely get 10 (or more disks per PC-formatted disk.
> TI99Dir can extract the files from the CD and I can reverse the process 
> on the other end on the TI. It will likely take a good bit of time but 
> the process is tried and true. 
>  
> The problem with V9T9 format is that the disk images are of a fixed 
> length no matter what size the actual data occupies on the disk. While 
> that is not much of a consideration on the target CD, it would reduce 
> the number of disks (i.e., files) that I would be able to transfer 
> physically from my TI to the PC at a single pass. I reckon that with my 
> method, I would be able to fill 2 or 3 PC-formatted disks and dump the 
> lot to a folder on the PC which would be 20+ disks at a time. Being 
> semi-retired, time is something that I have in excess!
>  
> compress and store several disks. Just set your input drive and 
> specifications once and all that would be left is to enter your target 
> filename for each disk.    
>  
> *Bob Carmany
> *
>  
> *In a message dated 4/5/2010 1:06:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 
>     *HI Bob,
>      >     720K diskette of files to single files that were then copied
>     to 1.44MB

---

From: "Ksarul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 16:40:43 -0400

Almost everyone who follows information on the 99/8 has heard of or seen the
128K memory board that was designed for it.  I'd heard rumors of a 256K
board, but I'd never actually seen one.  One of the engineers I talked to
mentioned a 2MB board that they'd built as a one-off, something that another
of the engineers later confirmed.  Today, I was able to look at another
board of a type I'd never seen before--a TI-99/8 512K memory board.  So far
as the owner knows, it may be the only one that survived, as not many were
made.  The one he has was made for the Jan 1983 CES for the 99/8
demonstration unit they had there, and was completed only a few days before
the show.

Jim

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 16:38:24 -0400

Wow... Pix hopefully forthcoming.  :). Hehe

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com