Subject: New MESS issues

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 21:04:39 -0400

Can someone give me some instructions on running the new MESS?  I had  
it running on my MAC inside Virtual Box, but I DLed it here on my  
Windows 7 laptop and can't get it running for some reason.  The "help"  
file is not functioning properly on my computer, so all I have is some  
DLed files and can't do much with them.  Anyone know if I need to set  
something up differently in my C:\ drive?  I really don't know what  
I'm doing.  I looked up some info on google, some help tutorials...  
They are all geared towards older versions of MESS and talk about  
things that aren't included in the package I DLed from the website.

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

---

From: "epergrem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 01:49:12 -0000

Owen,
The download version of MESS is incomplete if you got it from MESS.ORG. 

It needs some additional folders; cfg, ini, nvram,rom, and software.  May on of them may not be necessary, but it won't hurt.  If you still have your MAC installation then I would compare the two installations.

Actually, if you unzip the file it into a folder in Windows 7, it will run as it.  It just won't do much.  Don't put it into Program Files.  Windows 7 is real fussy about the user changing files in that folder.  Put it under the root, or in Documents, or on a separate drive.

I just downloaded the new version, so I'm by no means an expert.  I'm still trying to figure out how to get rid of the "?" from some of the computers. :-)

Ernie

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:00:37 -0400

It runs, but ALL computers have a question mark.  That's the MESSUI  
application file.

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

On Jun 25, 2010, at 9:49 PM, "epergrem" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It needs some additional folders; cfg, ini, nvram,rom, and software.  
> May on of them may not be necessary, but it won't hurt. If you still  
> have your MAC installation then I would compare the two installations.
>
> Actually, if you unzip the file it into a folder in Windows 7, it  
> will run as it.  It just won't do much. Don't put it into Program  
> Files. Windows 7 is real fussy about the user changing files in that  
> folder. Put it under the root, or in Documents, or on a separate  
> drive.
>
> I just downloaded the new version, so I'm by no means an expert. I'm  
> still trying to figure out how to get rid of the "?" from some of  
> the computers. :-)
>
> Ernie
>

---

From: "chris20636" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 02:04:11 -0000

Heh...guess we are both having a Friday night of TI.  Anyway,  clicking the help file from windows XP works as intended.  I don't know about win 7.  You might need to right click and run as Administrator to see if that works.

Here is what I just did.
1) Downloaded the MESS zip file.  
2) Made folder mess99 under Program Files.
3) Extracted contents of MESS zip file there.
4) You need a TI-99/4A ROM for use in MESS.
Note: I don't know this groups policy on ROMS so I won't post a link to one.  However, here is a link to a web site that suggests other places to find it.
http://www.99er.net/emul.shtml
5) Make a folder under Program Files/mess99 called roms.
/Program Files/mess99/roms
6) Put your downloaded zip file containing the TI ROM in it.  (don't need to unzip)
7) Back down to folder mess99, double click messuipp.exe to run the GUI version of MESS.
8) Find the TI-99/4A entry and double click to run.
Again, you may need to right click and run as Administrator in win 7. 

I haven't gotten any further than that.  However, the Device View tab looks like disk images could be set up there.

Chris

---

From: "chris20636" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 02:28:37 -0000

The next problem to solve in getting Legend to run under MESS is finding a TI Extended Basic cartridge image/rom/whatever to use with it. Not finding it yet.

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:34:00 -0400

Thanks man.  :) I'm gonna just CF7 it and do it on hardware.  :). It  
won't work in Classic99 for me--- I don't know why.

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

On Jun 25, 2010, at 10:28 PM, "chris20636" <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

> The next problem to solve in getting Legend to run under MESS is  
> finding a TI Extended Basic cartridge image/rom/whatever to use with  
> it. Not finding it yet.
>
>

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:59:23 -0400

Chris, could you zip up your DSK1 and DSK2 for Legends and send them  
to me?  This will confirm or disconfirm a theory of mine.  Thanks  
man. :)

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

---

From: Insane Multitasker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:04:25 -0500

I was trying to do a few things with TIDIR and noticed that the keys to select files are different?    I work primarily with laptops, which do not have the numeric keypad, which appears to be what my version of TIDIR wants to use for selections.

I thought the spacebar or other "simple" keys worked to select files, but maybe that was one of the older versions I was using? 

I'm finding Fred's great program unusable  :(    Any suggestions? 

Tim

_________________________________________________________________
The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3

---

From: "epergrem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 03:06:09 -0000

Take a look at the WHT FTP site. The disks are all there in a rpk file under emulators\cartridge_images.

Ernie

---

From: Chris Stevens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 23:17:00 -0400

You have mail (off list).

Chris

On 06/25/2010 10:59 PM, Owen Brand wrote:
> to me?  This will confirm or disconfirm a theory of mine.  Thanks man. :)
>
> Owen Brand
>
>        **webmaster**
> http://www.Opry99er.com <http://www.Opry99er.com>
>
> On Jun 25, 2010, at 10:28 PM, "chris20636" <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>

---

From: Chris Stevens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 23:28:47 -0400

If you mean TI99DIR, then I'm using 5.3b.  If you have a pointer device 
(mouse, trackball, etc) then you can of course use the "Mark" menu item 
to either mark one file or all files.  I have also discovered that if 
you click on one file then shift-click on another file, all files 
between will be selected.

If no pointer device, then holding Alt-M to pop open the Mark menu item 
also works.  Although, granted, that's not as user friendly.

Chris

On 06/25/2010 11:04 PM, Insane Multitasker wrote:
>
> I was trying to do a few things with TIDIR and noticed that the keys 
> to select files are different?    I work primarily with laptops, which 
> do not have the numeric keypad, which appears to be what my version of 
> TIDIR wants to use for selections.
>
> I thought the spacebar or other "simple" keys worked to select files, 
> but maybe that was one of the older versions I was using?
>

---

From: Chris Stevens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 23:42:26 -0400

Ok one more post for tonight.  Another option would be to use the 
onscreen keyboard that both XP and 7 has.  I just tried it on XP and it 
works with TI99DIR.  It is under Start / Programs / Accessories / 
Accessibility on XP.  It's under All Programs / Accessories/ Ease of Use 
on Win 7.

Chris

On 06/25/2010 11:28 PM, Chris Stevens wrote:
>
> If you mean TI99DIR, then I'm using 5.3b.  If you have a pointer 
> device (mouse, trackball, etc) then you can of course use the "Mark" 
> menu item to either mark one file or all files.  I have also 
> discovered that if you click on one file then shift-click on another 
> file, all files between will be selected.
>
> If no pointer device, then holding Alt-M to pop open the Mark menu 
> item also works.  Although, granted, that's not as user friendly.
>
> Chris
>
>
>> to select files are different?    I work primarily with laptops, 
>> which do not have the numeric keypad, which appears to be what my 
>> version of TIDIR wants to use for selections.
>>

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:24:39 -0700

Owen,

It looks like it is time for someone to put up on WHTECH a current MESS 
folder with the missing folders and files (including appropriate 
MESS.INI & MESSUI.INI config files) for a basic TI-99/4A system (the old 
MESS Retro is woefully out of date).  I can't put mine up because it's 
anything but basic, and is highly dependent on a MFM hard drive with 
specific stuff in the DSK1 & DSK directories.  It's also only for the 
TI-99/4A with EVPC.

Any qualified MESS user with a basic TI-99/4A system set up listening?

Bill S

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:29:33 -0400

Thanks Bill.  :) I was hoping someone knew what I was talking about  
with this stuff.  I am virtually brand new to MESS--- only having a  
brief foray into it 6 or 7 months ago.  It is quite intriguing to  
me--- the massive scope of the emulation across hundreds of  
platorms.... But all I need is TI.  :)

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

On Jun 26, 2010, at 1:24 PM, fdos <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:48:07 -0700

Yes, I understand the dilemma.  The power to emulate all those other 
computers, but I only want to use one.  Why can't it be easy to set up? 
  Well, once you know what everything is about it is pretty easy 
provided you have all the stuff needed, and located in the appropriate 
folders.

Now back to wiring up a couple of 64K Jon Guidry carts, and figuring out 
how to wire my Geneve and TI-99/4P video output to this analog RGB to 
VGA converter.

Bill S

Owen Brand wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2010, at 1:24 PM, fdos <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:fdosbrs%40frontiernet.net>> wrote:
> 
>  > Owen,
>  >

---

From: "Michael Zapf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:41:30 -0000

Hello all,

if you followed the discussion on the MESS board there were some issues over the weekend concerning the current subversion head. There was a massive update of the image handling code which broke a lot of stuff, but as of today, things seem to work again. 

Always be aware that the nightly builds may be defect.

Michael