Subject: OT: War Room

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 14:12:10 -0400

I'm re-buying all my old gaming systems and I have a few needs---  
Here's what I want to do::

I want to plug all my systems into my "system selector box" and be  
able to switch between them with a switch or series of switches.  I am  
sure they make something like this, but I thought it would be a cool  
hardware project... My first hardware project, to be honest.  :). Here  
are my requirements:

6 RCA A/V inputs
2 coaxial inputs
1 RCA Output
LED indicator lights

This could be done with no power source--- as a simple A/B type box---  
but if I want to use the LED lights, I will need SOME current.  I will  
have a dedicated gaming TI console in with my NES, SNES, Sega Genesis,  
Atari 2600, Sega Dreamcast, PS1, and XBox.  I'm hoping to build a very  
nice multi-tiered shelf system for these consoles and their carts/ 
discs.  My first goal is the box though... What components should I  
buy?  (jacks, soldering tools, power supply, etc)

Thanks

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

---

From: tursi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 13:44:04 -0700 (PDT)

> buy?  (jacks, soldering tools, power supply, etc)

I've gone through this numerous times myself. ;)

The absolute best is to get a switch box that can convert your inputs to a 
common output.. in my case I used a switch from Radio Shack that converted 
whatever to S-video, and all audio to SP/DIF optical. (Unfortunately, like 
any Radio Shack product that actually works, I think it has been 
discontinued).

If you want to build it yourself, then the first thing I would recommend 
is to try and get all the systems to a common output. Try to do an S-video 
mod for each device (nearly all of those have one)... if you can't get 
S-Video on one at least go composite. There's no need to ever work with an 
RF-output - that at least starts life as composite.

For the composite video, there is a small chance your TV may accept it if 
it's split and fed to both sides of the S-Video lines. Might be worth a 
try since if it works, you will greatly simplify your wiring.

Since some of your devices are stereo, run all devices as stereo. You can 
use a splitter cable to feed mono audio to both sides for those devices 
that don't have it. (Some, like the 2600, can actually be modded for 
stereo ;) ).

If you can do all S-Video, then you're down to just finding a switch that 
can handle 6 leads (Chroma, Luma, Video Ground, Left, Right, Audio 
ground). You might be able to get away with a common ground and just 
switch 4 (chroma, luma, left, right), if necessary. Keep your wires as 
short as possible.