Subject: In need of a 5 1/4 drive

From: "BobK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 02:43:13 -0000

Last night I tried to backup a disk (using DM1000 & Myarc 80 sector FDC)I found in my "Treasure Trove" After setting the initialize to 40track D/S I set it to copying, I got the god awfulist scraping grinding noise and the head started seeking like crazy, now I cannot get the DSK1. to read anything or even seek any data, I tried two other drives but I have a feeling they were put away many many moons ago because they do the same thing, I hooked my DSK2. to the DSK1. connector and everything works great, so to the reason for this message. 
Anyone got a spare drive they aren't using as it seems most of the group has gone to emulators.
Thanks-
 Bob K.

---

From: "Ksarul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 10:11:37 -0400

Bob, there is a guy selling TEAC FD-55F drives on eBay for less than $30 a
pop, shipped.  Note that these are the 80-track 5.25 drives, but there is a
jumper to set them for 40-track operation too.  Since you have the
controller that can handle the 80 tracks, this might be an option too.  I
bought a set of four of them from him last month.  Fast shipping and
outstanding packing.

Here it is, item 230495028679:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TEAC-FD-55FR-5-25-Black-Internal-Floppy-Disk-Drive-/2304
95028679?cmd=ViewItem
<http://cgi.ebay.com/TEAC-FD-55FR-5-25-Black-Internal-Floppy-Disk-Drive-/230
495028679?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item35aa9305c7>
&pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item35aa9305c7

Jim Fetzner

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
BobK
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2010 10:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TI994A] In need of a 5 1/4 drive

Last night I tried to backup a disk (using DM1000 & Myarc 80 sector FDC)I
found in my "Treasure Trove" After setting the initialize to 40track D/S I
set it to copying, I got the god awfulist scraping grinding noise and the
head started seeking like crazy, now I cannot get the DSK1. to read anything
or even seek any data, I tried two other drives but I have a feeling they
were put away many many moons ago because they do the same thing, I hooked
my DSK2. to the DSK1. connector and everything works great, so to the reason
for this message. 
Anyone got a spare drive they aren't using as it seems most of the group has
gone to emulators.
Thanks-
Bob K.

---

From: "BobK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 04:11:34 -0000

Thanks- 
I ordered one that night but wouldn't you know it the "Broken" one started working again all I did was remove it from the PEB and drop it on the floor and it mysteriouly started working again,a little noisier but it works, I will change it out when the newer drive comes in.
Thanks
Bob K.

---

From: "Ksarul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 07:52:45 -0400

You might want to check the drive rails to see if the grease on them has
hardened-if the drop fixed it, it probably forced the carriage past the
obstruction and cleared enough of it to make the drive work again.

Jim

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
BobK
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 12:12 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TI994A] Re: In need of a 5 1/4 drive

Thanks- 
I ordered one that night but wouldn't you know it the "Broken" one started
working again all I did was remove it from the PEB and drop it on the floor
and it mysteriouly started working again,a little noisier but it works, I
will change it out when the newer drive comes in.
Thanks
Bob K.

> From: [email-masked] <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf
Of
> To: [email-masked] <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>