Subject: Writing an ASCII game in assembly

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 00:11:34 -0400

I'm writing my first game in assembly right now--- a Roguelike RPG  
dungeon crawler.  It will be optionally "ALL ASCII," which would make  
it a worthy consideration for a BBS door game.  Well, I brought this  
up a couple weeks ago, and someone mentioned that they knew how to  
adapt or modify an assembly program to run on the Hidden Reef.  It  
would be a great honor to have my game on The Hidden Reef, so I am  
hoping to write this game with that in mind.  What needs to be done to  
an assembly game to make it compatible?  Anything?  Do I need to  
adjust the KSCAN for the UI delays?  I'd like to know.  :)

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 00:15:48 -0400

Greg, can TI BBS games run in your system?

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

On May 9, 2010, at 12:11 AM, Owen Brand <[email-masked]> wrote:

> dungeon crawler.  It will be optionally "ALL ASCII," which would  
> make it a worthy consideration for a BBS door game.  Well, I brought  
> this up a couple weeks ago, and someone mentioned that they knew how  
> to adapt or modify an assembly program to run on the Hidden Reef.   
> It would be a great honor to have my game on The Hidden Reef, so I  
> am hoping to write this game with that in mind.  What needs to be  
> done to an assembly game to make it compatible?  Anything?  Do I  
> need to adjust the KSCAN for the UI delays?  I'd like to know.  :)
>
> Owen Brand
>
>       **webmaster**
> http://www.Opry99er.com

---

From: Gregory McGill <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 21:45:38 -0700

Maybe...  The hardest part about running a TI game on the PC based BBS is
that no TI emulator works on a proper telnet/rs232 session.  Except for PC99
(I don't own) or v9t9 which is pretty lousy as far as emulation goes..

I could of course set up a real TI and chain it to a serial port on my
server.  I have done that in the past for fun, set up the old-old TI-NET
version of The KEEP..  But for any long period of time I'd need a Corcomp
expansion box, as listening to a Pbox 24/7 exceeds my noise threshold in my
old age.

Btw, the TI-Net version had many online games, including a few games I
converted from standard extended basic games to BBS games, by replacing the
input/output with calls to the bbs routines :)  Golf was one, some text
adventures.. etc.. The most popular game on that BBS software was the arena
game that came with it. Very fun.

Greg

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Owen Brand <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On May 9, 2010, at 12:11 AM, Owen Brand <[email-masked]<owenbrand%40opry99er.com>>
> wrote:
>

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 00:50:59 -0400

Would be cool to operate a TI BBS--- it could really be geared towards  
the online BBS roguelikes and gaming.  I always liked the idea of  
doing that--- I very much respect the work it takes and the passion  
you gotta have to operate a BBS.  :)

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

On May 9, 2010, at 12:45 AM, Gregory McGill <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

> Maybe...  The hardest part about running a TI game on the PC based  
> BBS is that no TI emulator works on a proper telnet/rs232 session.   
> Except for PC99 (I don't own) or v9t9 which is pretty lousy as far  
> as emulation goes..
>
> I could of course set up a real TI and chain it to a serial port on  
> my server.  I have done that in the past for fun, set up the old-old  
> TI-NET version of The KEEP..  But for any long period of time I'd  
> need a Corcomp expansion box, as listening to a Pbox 24/7 exceeds my  
> noise threshold in my old age.
>
> Btw, the TI-Net version had many online games, including a few games  
> I converted from standard extended basic games to BBS games, by  
> replacing the input/output with calls to the bbs routines :)  Golf  
> was one, some text adventures.. etc.. The most popular game on that  
> BBS software was the arena game that came with it. Very fun.
>
> Greg
>
>

---

From: Gregory McGill <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 21:52:11 -0700

Can't wait to see it :) Btw the source code is out there for rogue,hack,
etc..  it's just in C which we of course don't have a proper C compiler to
port it with.

Greg

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 01:09:27 -0400

I'm still in the planning and learning stages right now, but I'll be  
there soon.... I have some great input from more experienced guys...  
Soon, I'm hoping to set up "BerylRogue" on The Reef... If Richard'll  
have it. :)

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

On May 9, 2010, at 12:52 AM, Gregory McGill <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

> Can't wait to see it :) Btw the source code is out there for  
> rogue,hack, etc..  it's just in C which we of course don't have a  
> proper C compiler to port it with.
>
> Greg
>
>