Subject: Question.....(S)

From: "Marc H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 23:03:04 -0000

I have a couple of question I don't know if they are related but we will see....

#1.  How much SRAM should a HFDC card have ?  The reason I ask is because mine has an 8K chip.  While trying to get my SCSI up and running on the GENEVE CYA reports that the HFDC has 8K ram but the CYA doc's I have show a screen that reports the HFDC as having 32K SRAM.  Could someone lay this out to me ?

#2.  For the life of me I cannot get a SCSI card and drives to operate on the Geneve.  I have set the 4 position DIP switch like the doc's say (all on) and have finger ...... well lets say I have worn CYA out trying to get the correct  set up.  The SCSI stuff works fine with the TI but the Geneve goes out to lunch when I try to access it. 

Anybody have the answers I need ?

Marc.

---

From: Tony Knerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 19:24:41 -0400

#1 - 32k works better than 8k, and you will need it if you want to use 
it with 1.44m drives on the Geneve.

#2 - The CRU needs to be set to >1200 and the TI/Geneve dipswitch needs 
to be on Geneve. If those are correct you probably are having an issue 
with the PDMA ON/OFF setting in MDOS. Use CYA or put the command in your 
AUTOEXEC file.

If that doesn't get you going, let us know.

Tony

Marc H wrote:
> #1. How much SRAM should a HFDC card have ? The reason I ask is 
> because mine has an 8K chip. While trying to get my SCSI up and 
> running on the GENEVE CYA reports that the HFDC has 8K ram but the CYA 
> doc's I have show a screen that reports the HFDC as having 32K SRAM. 
> Could someone lay this out to me ?
>
> #2. For the life of me I cannot get a SCSI card and drives to operate 
> on the Geneve. I have set the 4 position DIP switch like the doc's say 
> (all on) and have finger ...... well lets say I have worn CYA out 
> trying to get the correct set up. The SCSI stuff works fine with the 
> TI but the Geneve goes out to lunch when I try to access it.
>

---

From: Marc Hull <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 19:52:54 -0700 (PDT)

OK...

I put a 32K SRAM in the HFDC.  I am not using it as the FDC right now but it doesn't seem to hurt anything so I'll leave it.  Perhaps when I get the kinks out I'll use the HFDC floppy portion for the disk controller.  It is just such a complicated beast and it seems to introduce more variables into the system than I can currently handle.

SCSI CRU was >1A00.  It is now >1200 with the PDMA set to on in CYA and..... works like a charm.  Nothing like having all the facts ;-).  I have been told in the past that >1200 was the default but I had no idea it was required.

My monitor cable is now repaired so what I thought was a blown sound circuit on the monitor is repaired.  Unfortunately the 1084 I am using is limping badly in the picture department and I recall some discussion on the old group of people possibly using one of those RBG to VGA converters.  Anyone tried this yet?

Marc

--- On Sat, 5/22/10, Tony Knerr <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Tony Knerr <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TI994A] Question.....(S)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 6:24 PM

  

      

#2 - The CRU needs to be set to >1200 and the TI/Geneve dipswitch
needs to be on Geneve. If those are correct you probably are having an
issue with the PDMA ON/OFF setting in MDOS. Use CYA or put the command
in your AUTOEXEC file.

Tony

Marc H wrote:

  I have a couple of question I don't know if they are related but
we will see....

#1. How much SRAM should a HFDC card have ? The reason I ask is because
mine has an 8K chip. While trying to get my SCSI up and running on the
GENEVE CYA reports that the HFDC has 8K ram but the CYA doc's I have
show a screen that reports the HFDC as having 32K SRAM. Could someone
lay this out to me ?

#2. For the life of me I cannot get a SCSI card and drives to operate
on the Geneve. I have set the 4 position DIP switch like the doc's say
(all on) and have finger ...... well lets say I have worn CYA out
trying to get the correct set up. The SCSI stuff works fine with the TI
but the Geneve goes out to lunch when I try to access it. 

Marc.