Subject: Max size for DSSD?

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:06:58 -0400

Im trying to plan my disk files for "Beryl Reichardt" and im wondering  
what the max storage sizes on the following disk drives.... Hoping to  
make this playable for everyone, but i could require damn near 720k  
for all the map screens and game data

SSSD
DSSD
DSDD

Thanks in advance

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

---

From: "Charlie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:17:02 -0000

90, 180, and 360K ?

Can you make it a multiple disk thing? With an "Insert DISK 2" sort of thing?

Charlie

---

From: Marc Hull <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:18:01 -0700 (PDT)

90K +-
180K +-
360K +-

Caveat....... 40 tracks.....

--- On Tue, 4/20/10, Owen Brand <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TI994A] Max size for DSSD?
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tuesday, April 20, 2010, 1:06 PM

  

SSSD

DSSD

DSDD

Thanks in advance

Owen Brand

Opry99er.com

---

From: "Ksarul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:37:00 -0400

And you can double all of that for people with 80 track drives in each size
category.

Jim

  _____  

On Behalf Of Marc Hull
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TI994A] Max size for DSSD?

90K +-
180K +-
360K +-

From: Owen Brand 

SSSD
DSSD
DSDD

Thanks in advance

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

_

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:36:50 -0400

A multiple disk game it shall be then..... Thanks

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:48:41 -0400

I'm looking basically at 100k in data and maps--- the actual game  
program(s) probably 40k--- speech and music data could take up quite a  
bit... I'm not sure what to expect there, but based on the size of the  
War of the Worlds YouTube video from Willsy, I'd guess for what I'm  
needing, it'll be in the ballpark of 30k or so on speech alone.

The map data takes up 816 bytes per screen, of which there will be  
between 30-40 screens total.  Matthew has suggested using some  
compression on them, but I'm not sure about how to go about that.   
Anyway, that's the basic idea so far... Any help on data storage or  
the like, let me know... I hope to fit this all onto 1 disk, but if I  
need to use 2, so be it.  It'll make for a very nice game package.  :)

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:49:59 -0700

Owen,

Oh, those pesky lessons we learn along the road of life and computer 
software development.  You don't have more than 640K of memory on that 
new laptop, do you? :-)

Bill S

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:05:46 -0400

It had 4GB of RAM, but I knocked it down to 32k so I made sure I  
didn't get too ambitious in my development.  I also had 400GB of HD  
space, but I knocked it down to 720k just to be sure everything I do  
runs on a real TI. The good thing is I'm being accurate to my  
development... Bad news is, I now own an $800 TI-99.

Owen Brand
Opry99er.com

On Apr 21, 2010, at 11:49 AM, fdos <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 08:12:03 -0700

Makes perfect sense to me.  You just did what you had to do. ;-)  My 
first WDS-100 TI system with two half height 30MB hard drives cost 
around $1,600 back in the day.  Just part of my nostalgia collection 
today as it was a beast to manage.

Bill

Owen Brand wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2010, at 11:49 AM, fdos <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:fdosbrs%40frontiernet.net>> wrote:
> 
>  > Owen,
>  >