Subject: Why a PEB??

From: Viola Jamison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:33:24 -0700 (PDT)

Can I get some imput on the PEB plz?
 
If there are any benefits in having a PEB and what is it's purpose/use, especially now with the CF7?
 
Thanks,

---

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:49:41 -0400

if you're just downloading TI files from the net, and don't already have
existing TI disks, a CF7 will serve most if not all of your needs.  The PEB
will allow you to use original hardware and load from actual floppy disks,
if you need to do that.  Also, if you ever find need of some of the
specialized cards made for the PEB (such as a Geneve computer, a 512K memory
card, clock/calendar card, etc) the box would be a good bet.  Most of those
specialized cards are in such short supply, and have such a small user base,
though, that they're a non-issue for 98% of the community.

I do wonder if everyone going to a CF7 might hinder future hardware
development, in the form of new cards?  But that's kind of an academic
question.  The short answer is, you'll be able to do quite a bit of what you
want to do with a CF7.

---

From: Gregory McGill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:33:09 -0700

Holds the desk down quite well.. has lots of blinky lights. If you want a
ramdisk or Pcode card, hard drive.. you need one.. I have a foundation 128k
memory card in mine for instance..

G

---

From: Marc Hull <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:33:08 -0700 (PDT)

My two cents (and bear in mind I am a bit of a hardware freak...)

The PEB gives you much more flexibility in your system set-up than the CF-7 device,  AFAIK with a CF-7 you are limited to the 32K, PIO and Floppy emulator on board.  I don't know if anyone was ever successful in using the Y-splitter cable with both expansion systems (which would give you the best of both worlds.)  As far as new hardware coming out the PEB is the best choice if that is your thing (and I suspect that there will be something new on the market fairly quickly ;-)

Lastly.... A big silver box on your desk with flashing lights just looks good...

--- On Wed, 4/14/10, Viola Jamison <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Viola Jamison <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TI994A] Why a PEB??
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 10:33 AM

  

 
 
Thanks,

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:22:18 -0700

As you've already heard, the CF7 system is very good for a newbie or a 
returning user.  Some are even totally satisfied with the many PC 
emulators, but many of us cling to yesteryear through using the actual 
hardware.

Some of us who have stayed with the TI since the early 1980's or with 
the Geneve 9640 since the late 1980's have collected additional add on 
hardware for these systems, and we believe our TI/Geneve experience was 
greatly enhanced, so even though some of this hardware has become rare, 
some of us by nature are always trying to find ways to improve what we 
already have, so we still seek it if we have the funds to pay for it.

Likewise, some of us are even trying to improve the CF7 system 
experience by finding a way for it to communicate with other TI systems. 
  A few have found RS-232 Sidecar devices to use in this attempt, and 
others are trying to make communications work via the CF7 PIO port.  I 
suspect that one or the other will eventually be successful, and maybe both.

So it's all a matter of the user's purpose for being involved with this 
antique computer system and the fun of being on-line with so many other 
like minded, good natured folks (on the most part).

Have fun that suits you and your budget. :-)

Bill S