Subject: CfHdx for Cf7a+ and nanoPEB

From: "fredkaal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 17:58:44 -0000

Hi all,

While working on Cf2k many  months ago I got a bit irritated when testing the program on the real thing. All those things you have to do before you can actually test the program: Cf-card from Cf7a+ into the PC, copy Cf2k files to a DSK file, copy DSK file to CF-card, CF-card from PC to CF7A+, turn on TI and start testing.

I allready use my HDX interface for years in all kind of variations between my Geneve and PC so I thought: isn't it possible to make a connection between the parallel ports of CF7A+ and a PC to transfer the files I want to try and test. After some investigation and e-mail traffic between me and Jaime Malilong I was able to create such a connection. There was only one problem: where to leave to DSR because I like my DSR's to have its own RAM buffers instead of (ab)using VDP RAM for this. I solved this by embedding the DSR in the program itself. I made a stripped down version of Dm2k and used the free space for the DSR and a special DSRLNK function did the trick. The only disadvantage of this is that some of the HDX functionality can only be used when running this special program and can not be used from i.e. TI Basic, Extended Basic or E/A. But an advantage is that you don't have to make difficult hardware changes to one of your precious devices.

While working on the program, called CfPio, for the CF7A+ Jaime was creating the nanoPEB. I allready had the technology for creating CfPio so something like CfSio must also be possible. Well ... to make a long story short ... here it is: CfHdxP1 for the CF7A+ card and CfHdxS1 for the nanoPEB. For the PC side you need Ti99Hdx and a PC (or laptop) with a parallel port or serial port. I could test CfHdxP1 only on WindowsXp because that is the only computer (laptop) with a parallel port I own at the moment.

Ti99Hdx, see:
http://members.ziggo.nl/fgkaal/Software/sw_ti99hdx.html#ti99hdx

CfHdxP1 for CF7A+, see:
http://members.ziggo.nl/fgkaal/Hardware/hw_ti99hdx_cf7+.html

CfHdxS1 for nanoPEB, see:
http://members.ziggo.nl/fgkaal/Hardware/hw_ti99hdx_nanopeb.html

Using the nanoPEB is the easiest way to go: you only need a standard (well what is standard in computer world) serial cross-cable.

enjoy,

Fred ;-)

---

From: "Dan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:00:57 -0400

Thanks a Bunch!
is the cable for the CfHdxP1 for CF7A+, he same as a "laplink" cable?
thanks again

Dan
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "fredkaal" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 1:58 PM
Subject: [TI994A] CfHdx for Cf7a+ and nanoPEB

> Using the nanoPEB is the easiest way to go: you only need a standard (well 
> what is standard in computer world) serial cross-cable.
>
>
> enjoy,
>
> Fred ;-)

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:13:18 -0700

Hi Fred,

Thanks for extending badly needed support to CF7 and NanoPEB users.

Obviously, the advantage for both the CF7A+ & NanoPEB is access to a PC 
or network printer via a connected PC which also provides file transfer 
capabilities using your special software, and thereby using the TI to 
affect the transfers, and eliminate the PC <> CF V9T9.DSK image file 
transfers for those that prefer to abide in the TI world as much as 
possible.

Yet another cable to build for the CF7A+ users.  It would be nice if 
someone with good eyes and steady hand would build some for a small 
group buy at a reasonable price.  I have too many projects on the 
back-burner now. :-(

I'm sure every NanoPEB user (me included after next week) will make good 
use of this software, and hopefully a few CF7A+ users.

Bill S

---

From: "fredkaal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 08:35:20 -0000

Don't think so (I never possesed a lap link cable) ... take a look at the schematic of the cable. I added resistors between the data lines just to be save. This is because when powering a PC and the TI both perallel ports are in output mode ... thus connecting two outputs together which doesn't sound healthy to me.

Fred ;-)

--- In [email-masked], "Dan" <dano@...> wrote:
> From: "fredkaal" <fgkaal@...>