Subject: Forth question

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:03:19 -0500

I'm trying to edit a word in Forth but having no success... here are my
steps, maybe someone can lend a hand.

: TEST CLS CR CR ." FORTH IS AWESOME " ;  (return)
<ok>

I can now run my word fine.  When I do a VLIST, the word is right at the top
of the list, which is great.  But when I need to edit the word, I cannot do
so.  Entering EDIT takes me to a blank screen... 67 EDIT does the same.  So,
I FLUSHed the buffers to disk, thereby "saving" my new word... (Wycove 3.0
no longer used the word "SAVE-BUFFERS" ---it was replaced with "FLUSH")
However, when I try to edit it, I get nothing again.  You can list screen by
screen, so "67 LIST" shows 25 blank slots.  LIST shows the same.  When I do
VLIST, the the hex next to my word is AED2.  I don't know exactly how to
determine which "screen" this is located in... I tried listing screens from
1-67 and found that everything from screen 12 up is empty... my TEST word is
nowhere on the screens, searching with "xx LIST".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:37:08 -0700

Owen,

Did you enter your original source with the editor (using n EDIT, n 
should be a blank BLOCK to begin with)?  If so, you can recall it with 
the same n EDIT and modify it.  However, if you entered the definition 
of TEST in the command line then the source is lost, and only the 
compiled dictionary entry remains.

Once you have the source saved in a BLOCK of the fileblock in USE you 
can reload it again each time you start Forth by doing a n LOAD.  There 
are some differences in Wycove Forth, TurboForth, TI Forth and others 
that you should become aware of ASAP.  I have Wycove Forth, but I never 
used it much, and both Forth+ and X4th99 are based on TI Forth, and I'm 
just now boning up on TurboForth.

Bill S

-- 
Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)
Go Forth+ or X4th99

---

From: Owen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:21:50 -0500

This makes some sense... I'll be playing around with my Wycove Forth today--- get a bit more used to it... I'm trying to  get familiar with Forth as much as possible because I plan on doing more Forth demos for YouTube leading up to the release of TurboForth.  ;)

Hal Shanafield gave me my copy of "Starting Forth" by Brodie.  :) Thanks Hal

Now I just want to get fluent in Forth.  :)

Firebrandmusic.net

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:47:03 -0700

Owen,

Becoming fluent in Forth could be a life long endeavor as you're allowed 
to do most anything you can imagine.  It's just that most of what you 
imagine won't work, so "crash" and "lock-up" will become common daily 
language until you learn you can't store anything you want any where im 
memory you choose.  Both VDP and CPU memory maps should be kept on hand 
at all times.

Go Forth and explore young man.  It will become fun!

Bill S

On 2/23/2011 12:21 PM, Owen wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2011, at 1:37 PM, fdos<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>
>> Owen,
>>

-- 
Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)
Go Forth+ or X4th99