Subject: MFM hard drives

From: "Dan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:13:18 -0500

What am i missing?
Diamond encrusted platters?

eBay item # ( 120615847585 ) $975.00
NEC D5146H 5.25" HH MFM HARD DRIVE 

eBay item # ( 390101456282 ) $495.95
IMI 5018H 15MB MFM Hard Drive Tested 

eBay item # ( 260709716515 ) $495.00
Microscience HH612 10MB MFM 5.25 HH Hard Drive

---

From: Jeffrey White <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 08:01:41 -0800 (PST)

There are legacy medical and laboratory instruments that are still in use around 
the world that use MFM hard drives.  $500-1000 to replace a failed drive instead 
of $30000+ to replace an entire instrument seems reasonable.

As I have mentioned in the past, my company founded in 1999 has one spectrometer 
interfaced via an 8-bit ISA interface board to a Pentium 100 running Win95.  I 
have tried newer PIII computers with ISA slots, but none work.  A new 
spectrometer is $50000.

Jeff White 

________________________________
From: Dan [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Wed, December 29, 2010 8:13:18 PM
Subject: [TI994A] MFM hard drives

What am i missing?

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:06:57 -0700

Wow!  That means I have some very valuable hard drives out in my garage, 
and I have a PC MFM controller handy to install, so I can format them 
back to PC standard.  I could fund my hobby quite nicely for years to 
come, if they all sold for more than $500.  The Seagate and Tulin drives 
have been idle for years, so probably have much "spin" life still in 
them.  They were replaced with Rodime 45MB drives in the late 1990's.

The original price of my first Tulin 32MB half-height drive was over 
$700, and the second was in the high $400's.  So I might get my 
investment back for these two if they can sell for $580 each.  That will 
be the day. ;-)

Bill S

---

From: "Postle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 01:31:45 -0000

In as much as my every day PC took on a virus and loss I cannot give the company's name.  But,...  They do provide a MFM Hard Drive unit which uses the CF/SD (TYPE) of memory.

Postle

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^