Subject: HRD 4000 problem

From: "jacques" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:15:23 -0300

For a month or so I have been having problems with my HRD 4000 card. 
Initially I was not even able to load the ROS file because the CFG program 
would not show the card. Periodically CFG would show the card but would 
crash if I tried to load a number of files and then the card would again not 
show when CFG was run. Since I have two smaller HRD cards installed, today I 
was testing an XB program written by a friend. My TI had been on for a long 
time so I tried running CFG again and the HRD 4000 card popped up again. I 
reloaded ROS and then proceeded to configure it as 5 DSDD disks including 
from DSK3 to DSK7.  I then proceeded to load DSK5 with files from a backup. 
This backup of about  100 files includes all the Funnelweb files and some 
other programs that I use. All loaded except for two small files at the very 
end. However I could not run any of these files from BOOT installed on 
another HRD card configured as DSK8 or from a floppy  copy of Funnelweb 
DiskReview contained on a floppy in DSK1. Both of these programs will 
catalogue DSK5 and the other empty configured DSK but report 'not found' if 
I attempt to run any program files contained on DSK5.

I have just finished running the TST program included with the HRD 4000 
package. Test 1 being the non destructive test ran OK. Test 2 one of the two 
destructive tests also ran fine. Test 3 , the Addr/Page test, ran fine until 
it hit CRU Bits Bus 00000110 10000000 when it started counting errors and it 
stopped at 00000110 11111111 after reporting 32718 errors. The test then 
resumed for a short time and then it indicated that it was finished.

Based on this I feel that one chip is bad. How do I find out which one and 
what should I do next?

Jacques

---

From: "epergrem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 02:31:28 -0000

Hi Jacques,
Gary Bowser wrote a chart which displayed the various error message bit combinations and the chips.  

It's dated 1991, so hopefully it's relevant to the HRD4000.

My copy is a bit difficult to read, but I will upload it to the files section anyway.

Ernie

---

From: "Tony Knerr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 02:57:10 -0000

Looks as if you've got a bad chip in the U4 socket if I'm reading the
test docs correctly, Jacques. Try taking that chip out and moving the 'last' chip to that socket. You'll have less ramdisk size, but it 
should test without error.

If that doesn't fix the problem, and you get the same error, try 
replacing the 74LS154 (might be a 74HC154N). That's the logic chip
that turns the Ram chips on and off, it may have a bad gate.

Tony

---

From: "jacques" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 10:50:55 -0300

Tony,

Thank you, I will give your suggestion a try.

Jacques

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Tony Knerr" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 11:57 PM
Subject: [TI994A] Re: HRD 4000 problem

> test docs correctly, Jacques. Try taking that chip out and moving the 
> 'last' chip to that socket. You'll have less ramdisk size, but it
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>