Subject: Question....

From: "Marc H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:28:33 -0000

I have just noticed in the past day or two (or perhaps it just clicked) that when ever I load certain types of files I get a dancing light on the front of the PEB.... For example if I am loading a file from the RAM disk it appears to load part of it (normal) but before it loads another part, the LED's on the other storage controller cards briefly flash before another segment loads as if the DSR gets lost and has to find the device again.  What gives ?

---

From: Tony Knerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:33:01 -0400

It depends on the DSRLNK. Most of them have to re-find the device you're 
looking for on each successive file.
So the routine starts it's CRU search from scratch every time, hence the 
flashing leds on the other devices.

So if your DSRLNK is loading DSKU from ramdisk, your floppy controller 
is at cru>1100 and your ramdisk
is at CRU>1600, the DSRLNK routine will hit the floppy controller 
looking for DSK5 (or whatever) before it
finds DSK5 on the ramdisk. The floppy controller led will flash again 
looking for DSK5.DSKV before the file is found
on the ramdisk, and the same process will occur for DSK5.DSKW.

The exceptions would be DSRLNKs that start at cru>1200 and loop around 
to cru>1000 and cru>1100; and
DSRLNK's that save the cru address of the device that is being accessed. 
I know Tim's got a version of the latter.

Tony

On 3/29/2011 3:28 PM, Marc H wrote:
>
> I have just noticed in the past day or two (or perhaps it just 
> clicked) that when ever I load certain types of files I get a dancing 
> light on the front of the PEB.... For example if I am loading a file 
> from the RAM disk it appears to load part of it (normal) but before it 
> loads another part, the LED's on the other storage controller cards 
> briefly flash before another segment loads as if the DSR gets lost and 
> has to find the device again. What gives ?
>
> _