Subject: For PC99 owners

From: "jacques" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 15:31:42 -0400

I would like to start an exchange of information among those of us who
own the PC99 emulator.

If you own PC99 would you take a few minutes and let the rest of us know if
you have the Lite or Full versions and how you have configured PC99. Do you
also own a TI-99/4A system and do you  have a serial or other connection
between it and your PC99? What is your main use for PC99, programming,
gaming, financial or other activities? Is there anything special about how
you use PC99 that you would care to share with the rest of us?

I would like to avoid engaging in a comparison of PC99 with other TI 
emulators because that is not the purpose of this exercise. Perhaps, we can 
learn from knowing about the many ways that PC99 is utilized by others.

To start this off, here is how I have PC99 configured. I have a Full version 
PC99 and I have set it up to use four DSDD disk drives. I have also set it 
up to have a fifth DSDD drive as a ram disk using the Myarc 512K memory card 
emulation. I have installed Funnelweb in DSK5 and a variety of other 
programs in DSK1. The disk drives DSK2, DSK3 and DSK4 are essentially blank 
and can be used as work areas or to load other .dsk files containing any 
other programs that I may want to run. Of course, DSK1 can also be 
overwritten with such programs. My PC99 is also set up to have a Review 
Module Library (RML) that includes Multiplan and Triton Super Extended Basic 
modules plus some other modules. I discovered that Thierry Nouspikel had 
written a very useful little program for use with Funnelweb that allows you 
to run any module  in the RML from Funnelweb. His program is called GL. My 
TI-99/4A is connected to PC99 using a serial cable connection and I can move 
files between it and its emulator.

Although I am still tweaking my PC99 configuration, at the moment I can 
access all the Funnelweb program  functions, access Multiplan, TI-Base and 
by inserting a .dsk file I can also access TI-Artist+ and other programs. I 
am attempting to make my PC99 configuration as close as possible to how my 
TI-99/4A is set up. I appreciate that this will not be 100% possible but so 
far I am pleased with how much I have been able to accomplish.

If you are interested in exchanging this type of information I am sure that 
we will all look forward to hearing your comments.

Jacques

---

From: ti99_forever <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:57:19 -0800 (PST)

I don't really use it these days... I purchased the full version, but lost the executable, so have been using the 'lite' executable for the last 5 years.

I had several configurations - one on my old TI laptop, one on my Gateway PC, another in DOSBOX, etc...

I have not ever settled on an emulator. I like Classic99, but I am moving to Ubuntu Linux. Mess I might try again since Michael has been behind it, but I've always had issues using it, getting use to the keyboard, etc.

I've started using some of the PC99 utilities inside DOSBOX on my Mac/Linux systems to convert files from/to TIFILES/V9T9 formats...

--- On Fri, 2/18/11, jacques <[email-masked]> wrote:

> From: jacques <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [TI994A] For PC99 owners
> To: "TI994A" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Friday, February 18, 2011, 2:31 PM
> ------------------------------------
> 
> Yahoo! Groups Links
> 
> 
>     [email-masked]
> 
> 
>

---

From: "Klaus L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 01:35:48 -0000

Well, I have the lite version since a few months. Haven't had the time yet to deserve the program enough credits - there have been simply too much other TI-99 things in my free time.

I have installed Win98 on my netbook just to have a true DOS mode for the program. Now that I have a P-Box and no LPT/COM ports on my netbook I can't use it for transfers in DOS, because that would require USB or PcExpressCard drivers for an adapter. Damn! :)

Klaus

---

From: "epergrem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 02:23:46 -0000

Some of us keep an old Pentium or PII laptop just for that purpose.  I'm not sure of the pricing in Austria, but you can find them reasonably inexpensive here.

Ernie

---

From: TIMOTHY KIRSCH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:12:21 -0600

I have the full version. Up till the last two year I have used it many for playing game. Since updating my computer from windows 98 to vista. I have tried running it in dos box .I can't get the usb ports to operate the joystick. I finally went to mess to run the emulator. I prefer using pc99 but since I can't get the joystick to work I have't used it much lately. Tim 

To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 15:31:42 -0400
Subject: [TI994A] For PC99 owners

Jacques

---

From: "BobK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 05:38:01 -0000

I also have the full version, I had mine setup using recommendations from Jacques and it ran great BUT I seem to have a cursed PC computer, I can use it for awhile and then something will always happens to the Windows install and I have to go back and reinstall PC99. I now have finally found another PC with XP on it that I will try again. Yes, Jacques I will probably be bothering you again. :-)
Bob

---

From: "hslomer2001" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 01:00:24 -0000

Jacques,

I own the Lite version of PC99 and the CYC.  I installed PC99 on an old Gateway system running win98.  I connected the Gateway system to a full TI-99/4a computer via the RS232 card.  I use the PC99 utilities RSECTOR and WSECTOR to transfer disks between the two systems.  I've setup and used Charles Good's Super system for PC99. I purchased and use George Shaw's PC99 Menu version 1.2.

          Howard

---

From: "epergrem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:07:25 -0000

Howard,
If you own a Myarc RS232, then there is a modified version of the PC99 RS232 ROM that will do 19.2K.  I did it several years ago and I think that Mike now includes it on The CYC.  

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can also replace the stock ROM on the TI-RS232 with one from Bob Carmany.  I have a modified ROM that has 38.4K as well.  Due to timing it won't work with RSECTOR/WSECTOR, but it will dump text like crazy to HyperTerm on my PC. :-)

Ernie

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:56:53 -0700

Jacques,

I intended to respond to this long ago, but just got so busy, and then 
forgot all about it.  Every once in a while I go looking for OLUG posts 
that I missed responding to, so here is my response.

I have both full and light PC99 since version 3A and up.  Initially, I 
purchased it so I could have hobby fun on my TI Travelmate 4000E 
notebook PC during my world travels.  I subscribed/purchased a tool from 
someone in England that allowed very easy setup of different module/disk 
environments as I was still doing Myarc XB II and TI Forth development 
at the time  I never did setup the serial port transfers as it seemed 
easier to reverse the direction of the file transfers at 38.4K I was 
doing via Linux at the time.  Later TI99-PC and MFM became my choice for 
file transfers as large scale transfers could be done with 1.44MB 
diskettes on the Geneve, and 720K on the TI and Geneve.  I also had 360K 
going until the floppy controller failed in my original Win98SE PC. 
Current TI PC peripheral only support one floppy disk drive at 1.44MB or 
720K.

Once I was doing only MDOS Geneve development, PC99 went to the wayside 
for some time, but was revived for a while when I was using Win98SE for 
my TI PC peripheral, but everything else can be done with Win2K now, so 
MESS takes care of my TI and Geneve emulation needs these days.

I do run the MESS emulator and TI99dir on my VISTA workstation, but 
nothing else hobby wise.  Hope this is helpful.

Bill S

-- 
Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)
Go Forth+ or X4th99