Subject: Re: [TI994A] Forth

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 06:49:34 -0400 (EDT)

There are also some ARRAY words in Leo Brodie's "Starting  Forth" that can 
be used as a template and ported over to TF without much grief. They could 
be expanded to make whatever size array  that you want. There are also 
various sorts around (including a bubble sort).  Forth Dimensions is a good source 
of code ideas as well.
 
Bob  Carmany

In a message dated 4/6/2011 4:33:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Jeff,

Stay off the caffeine for a day mate! It'll do you  good!

Forth has no concept of arrays, but it's trivial to make them  yourself:

CREATE MY-ARRAY 100 ALLOT

There you go. A word called  MY-ARRAY. MY-ARRAY is actually an executable 
word. 
When you execute it, it  returns the address of the start of the ALLOTed 
memory. 
You can then use @  (fetch) and ! (store) to read/write items into the  
array.

:-)

---

From: mark wills <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 14:04:05 +0100 (BST)

Texas Instruments to "BUY" National Semiconductor for $25 a Share

(Bloomberg -- Apr 4, 2011 10:30 PM GMT)

Texas Instruments Inc., the SECOND-LARGEST U.S. CHIPMAKER, agreed to "BUY" 
National Semiconductor Corp. for about $6.5 BILLION.

Texas Instruments' BIGGEST ACQUISITION, to EXTEND a LEAD in analog 
semiconductors.

Today's deal marks the BIGGEST CHIP TAKEOVER since 2006, when a group of PRIVATE 
EQUITY FIRMS, led by Blackstone Group LP bought Freescale Semiconductor Inc. for 
more than $16 BILLION.

National Semiconductor shareholders will get $25 a share in the ALL-CASH 
transaction, the Dallas-based company said today in a statement.

That's a 78 PERCENT PREMIUM to National Semiconductor's closing price today of 
$14.07

National Semiconductor has widened its gross margin in recent years as it exited 
less-profitable businesses to EMPHASIZE CHIPS that CONTROL POWER SUPPLY to 
electronics components.

"It's a REALLY STRONG COMMENTARY on the OUTLOOK for SEMIS," said Vijay Rakesh, 
an analyst at Sterne Agee & Leach Inc. in Chicago. "It shows MORE CONFIDENCE 
that LONGER-TERM GROWTH is still there and they are WILLING to PAY UP FOR IT."

Templeton is PAYING MORE than FOUR TIMES the AVERAGE PREMIUM that was paid in 
the 196 semiconductor acquisitions in the past year, according to Bloomberg 
data. The average disclosed size of those transactions was $129.8 million.

"At current valuations it looks like they are overpaying, but LONGER-TERM it 
IMPLIES they see pretty GOOD GROWTH there," said Rakesh, who recommends BUYING 
shares of Texas Instruments.

The National Semiconductor acquisition bumps Texas Instruments' 2000 PURCHASE of 
Burr-Brown Corp. for $6.1 BILLION to its second-largest.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-04/texas-instruments-to-buy-national-semiconductor-for-25-a-share.html

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 08:34:59 -0700

Forth+ 1.00 has BUBBLE sort, SHUTTLE sort, SHELL sort and QUICK sort 
implemented as easily verified by the HELP_DEMO application, and will be 
added to TurboForth as an overlay/library eventually.

I also agree that STARTING FORTH and FORTH Dimensions are a great source 
for code ideas.  Used them and other Forth books frequently myself.

Bill S

-- 
Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)
Go Forth+ or X4th99

---

From: Jeffrey White <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 20:11:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hey, Bill.

Up until a few minutes ago, I did not know what the Shell sort was.  I knew the 
Shell-Metzner sort, since I had to program it in college circa 1983.  So I 
googled and found that the Shell sort is in fact the Shell-Metzner sort.  See 
http://xlinux.nist.gov/dads/HTML/shellsort.html.  Marlene Metzner Norton has to 
go on my A-list, and so does Donald Lewis Shell.

In college, I programmed in ForTran because that was the way it was.  Now I 
wonder how I did.  Did I get the Shell(-Metzner) sort in 10 lines, give or take 
5.

Now I wonder, who was M. Bubble?

Jeff White

________________________________
From: fdos <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Wed, April 6, 2011 11:34:59 AM
Subject: Re: [TI994A] Forth

Bill S

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 23:12:26 -0700

Hi Jeff,

I didn't research as to where these sorting routines came from I just 
implemented them in Forth+, and provided a demonstration of all 4 using 
values or strings, ascending or descending and a timer, so the user can 
decide which to use for their specific purpose.  The demo includes a 
reverse order sort, and timing, for each.

I just know that sorting is and important task for computers, and the 
more features I include the easier the programming task will be for the 
application programmer, and my MMOS/MMLS makes it possible to add 
everything I think will be useful or just handy for the programmer, so 
they're included.  I can't possibly think of everything, so other 
talented programmers will find it easy to add those functions they think 
are useful in overlays/libraries they create.

Another 2 cents worth.

Bill S

On 4/6/2011 8:11 PM, Jeffrey White wrote:
> From: fdos<[email-masked]>

-- 
Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)
Go Forth+ or X4th99