Subject: Nano PEB and MFM

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 00:45:25 -0400

Has anyone tried to mount MFM as a CF7 volume and transfer to/from  
PC?  Curious as to whether it works.  :)

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 08:58:41 -0700

Owen,

I would hope that it would work as long as the CF volume with MFM is 
mounted at DSK1.  I know there have been quirks with Funnelweb, but I 
haven't heard about any others.  Although serial communications, as has 
been done on our beloved TI systems may present the opportunity for more 
quirks, but time will tell as I will be checking them out myself after 
the 14th or 15th of next week.

Bill S

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:01:55 -0400

Thanks Bill--- I'm particularly interested in transferring from floppy  
to CF by linking up a PEB TI and a nano-PEB TI.  Currently I transfer  
to/from my TI via serial rs232 connection--- and that seems to work  
fine.

I'm waiting for a video of someone accessing the Reef using the nano- 
PEB.  :) Holy crap, how cool would that be.?  :)

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 11:53:13 -0700

Owen,

I understand, and I wish to do the same for low volume transfers, but 
the easy and fast way is to use a PC and provided software or TI99dir to 
load V9T9.DSK images to the CF volumes.  You can find lots of great TI 
software already on V9T9.dsk images on WHTECH and other TI websites.

Bill S

On 9/9/2010 10:01 AM, Owen Brand wrote:
> to/from my TI via serial rs232 connection--- and that seems to work fine.
>
> I'm waiting for a video of someone accessing the Reef using the
> nano-PEB. :) Holy crap, how cool would that be.? :)
>
> Owen Brand
>
> **webmaster**
> http://www.Opry99er.com
>

---

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 15:27:14 -0400

That's currently how I am doing it.. I have probably 40 or 50 DSK  
images including a couple super-disk-images which include collections  
such as a nearly-complete Infocom games volume.  I was mainly hoping  
to network two TIs together while I test some fairly rudimentary  
transfer software I'm working on.  I know it's been done a hundred  
times before, but I'm teaching myself some very valuable stuff.   :).  
I am working on a way to sync up a straight SAVE RS232--OLD RS232 with  
an automated XB program I'm trying to write.  As I said, I know this  
kind of stuff already exists, but it's fun.  :)

Oh, and I REALLY want to get this thing to try to access the Reef...  
That's what excites me.  I do not have a home phone line, and lugging  
my PEB to a friend's house is both cumbersome and dangerous to my setup.

Owen Brand

        **webmaster**
http://www.Opry99er.com

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:20:13 -0700

Yes, my early programming efforts were spent modifying existing 
programs, so I would know that I understood how it was done, and could 
do something similar in another language--usually Forth, of course.

I really like the CF7 and NanoPEB (the "quirks", not so much) as it 
gives me a simple, but basic full real TI system to play with--less 
bulky PEB, so easy to take on the road.  It's doubtful that I will ever 
be able to purchase another laptop (two old 50MHz & 75MHz 486 based 
still working, but not very useful for today), so I'm stuck with taking 
an 8GB USB thumb drive on the road which puts me at the mercy of family 
or friends providing a PC at their end.  I still need a small flat 
screen to use in place of the 23" flat screen (too big for road trips) I 
normally use with the CF7A+.

The soon to arrive NanoPEB means I have to start transferring terminal 
emulation programs over as I had no need for them with MESS and the 
CF7A+.  I was working on such utilities for PIO as I don't do much 
hardware stuff anymore. I need Thierry's PIO to PC parallel cable to use 
his file transfer programs, and it will probably need to be modified to 
work with the CF7A+ PIO port anyway.  So these plans are probably doomed 
once the NanoPEB arrives.

Have fun. :-)

Bill S

On 9/9/2010 12:27 PM, Owen Brand wrote:
> That's currently how I am doing it.. I have probably 40 or 50 DSK images
> including a couple super-disk-images which include collections such as a
> nearly-complete Infocom games volume. I was mainly hoping to network two
> TIs together while I test some fairly rudimentary transfer software I'm
> working on. I know it's been done a hundred times before, but I'm
> teaching myself some very valuable stuff. :). I am working on a way to
> sync up a straight SAVE RS232--OLD RS232 with an automated XB program
> I'm trying to write. As I said, I know this kind of stuff already
> exists, but it's fun. :)
>
> That's what excites me. I do not have a home phone line, and lugging my
> PEB to a friend's house is both cumbersome and dangerous to my setup.
>
> Owen Brand
>
> **webmaster**
> http://www.Opry99er.com
>

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:00:49 -0700

NanoPEB has arrived, but I learned that I've made a mistake in the order 
process due to having lots of wall transformer power units of various 
outputs that I've been using with my CF7A+ unit I failed to notice that 
the NanoPEB requires 5VDC rather than the 7VDC to 12VDC like my CF7A+. 
I have 3VDC, 3.8VDC 4.5VDC, 6VDC, 9VDC & 12VDC units with correct barrel 
specs, but no 5VDC unit.  I do have 5VDC + 12VDC units for external hard 
drives and CD-ROM drives, but they don't have the right DC power 
connector and none are spare anyway.

I also don't think I will find an appropriate 5VDC unit at Radio Shack 
either, so I either have to go back to Jaime for one or search on line 
for it.  Delays, delays and more delays.  No fun at all. :-(

Bill S

---

From: Marc Hull <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:11:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Bill....

Radio shack still sells (at least here) a multi voltage wall wart converter and they have several styles of barrel adapters that plug on the generic end of the converter.  They may be still more than phones yet ;-)

--- On Thu, 9/16/10, fdos <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TI994A] Nano PEB and MFM
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 1:00 PM

  

Bill S

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:12:21 -0700

I have a few these multi-voltage devices--none of which have 5VDC.

Bill S

On 9/16/2010 1:11 PM, Marc Hull wrote:
> Hey Bill....
>
> Radio shack still sells (at least here) a multi voltage wall wart converter and they have several styles of barrel adapters that plug on the generic end of the converter.Â  They may be still more than phones yet ;-)
>
> --- On Thu, 9/16/10, fdos<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>
> From: fdos<[email-masked]>
> Â
> I have 3VDC, 3.8VDC 4.5VDC, 6VDC, 9VDC&  12VDC units with correct barrel
>

---

From: "Dan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:51:12 -0400

if you've got lots of parts you can build one
http://www.play-hookey.com/analog/experiments/plus_5_volt_ps.html
mac mall has em http://www.macmall.com/p/2567942?  for $7.99

From: "fdos" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: [TI994A] Nano PEB and MFM

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:42:13 -0700

Thanks Dan,

But wouldn't you know it.  Sometime yesterday I remembered that many 
years ago (probably in Texas at the time) I purchased a DC regulator 
that mounts in a PC slot (does not require a PCI or ISA connection) has 
power bridge to drive cables for input power, and multipurpose output 
cable with appropriate barrel size.  Also has selectable output voltages 
of 3.0VDC, 4.5VDC, 5.0VDC, 6.0VDC, 7.5VDC, 9.0VDC & 12.0VDC at 2.2 Amps.

It just means that my TI PC peripheral (located just under the 
CF7A+/NanoPEB device) will have to be powered whenever I'm using that TI 
system.

I went out into the garage this morning in search of this device, then 
to my Geek room closet where I put things I thought I might need as I 
came across them in the garage at earlier times.  I was about to give up 
when I took a quick look at the printer shelves that include paper style 
drawers and others for SCSI adapters/terminators, DIN plug adapters, 
gender changers, ink cartridges and what have you.  Suddenly, at the 
back of a shelf right next to the primary printer was the box.  I don't 
know why it would be there, but I have it now and it's never been used. 
  That will change soon.  I have to go power down that PC now.

Bill S

On 9/16/2010 6:51 PM, Dan wrote:
> From: "fdos"<[email-masked]>
> To:<[email-masked]>

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:46:34 -0700

My NanoPEB does not work!  All three LEDs come on and stay on as soon as 
the power switch is turned on.  No chance to power on the TI console.  I 
will have to contact Jaime.

Bill S

On 9/17/2010 9:42 AM, fdos wrote:
> of 3.0VDC, 4.5VDC, 5.0VDC, 6.0VDC, 7.5VDC, 9.0VDC&  12.0VDC at 2.2 Amps.
>