Subject: odd joysticks and RF modulator find

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:20:58 -0400

I just opened up a box of TI stuff I'd purchased a short time ago, and was
very surprised to find branded TI joysticks that look nothing like the usual
rectangular-bodied controllers.  These are smaller, with a raised button on
the side, and a thin metal shaft with a plastic ball on the end.  They're
still rectangular, but not as long as the regular model.  They're marked as
model PHP1100.

I don't recall ever even seeing these in pictures.  I haven't tested them
out yet, but I'm really hoping they work.

Also, in the same batch of stuff, there's what looks to be a very old
modulator, the "TI 900".  It's bigger and boxier than the standard TI RF
modulator.  The cord seems to be spliced into the power cable, which may be
a home modification,  I'm not sure.

Is this 99/4 era stuff?  The computer I got with all this was a 4A, but
there were some signs of the owner having had a 99/4 (like a Terminal
Emulator cart with the 99/4 keyboard overlay).

Keith

---

From: "Ksarul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:06:21 -0400

Keith, these sound like the original TI joysticks.  They were used until
about the middle of 1982, so they crossed the line from the /4 to the /4A by
quite a bit.  The ones you're used to were released about the same time as
the PEB, May 1982.

I have a couple of sets of them as well.

Jim

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Keith Bergman
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TI994A] odd joysticks and RF modulator find

I don't recall ever even seeing these in pictures. I haven't tested them out
yet, but I'm really hoping they work.

Also, in the same batch of stuff, there's what looks to be a very old
modulator, the "TI 900". It's bigger and boxier than the standard TI RF
modulator. The cord seems to be spliced into the power cable, which may be a
home modification, I'm not sure.

Is this 99/4 era stuff? The computer I got with all this was a 4A, but there
were some signs of the owner having had a 99/4 (like a Terminal Emulator
cart with the 99/4 keyboard overlay).

Keith

---

From: Keith Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:04:22 -0400

Jim,

I just did a Google image search and it looks like these are indeed 99/4
sticks.  I guess I'm more amazed that I've never seen a set before.  I
actually exclaimed out loud when I opened the box, I was so surprised.  I
like the design better than the regular sticks, but I haven't tried them out
yet to see if they work.

So excited to add another piece of unique stuff to my collection!

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Ksarul <[email-masked]> wrote:

> **
> quite a bit.  The ones you’re used to were released about the same time as
> the PEB, May 1982.****
>
> ** **
>
> I have a couple of sets of them as well.****
>
> ** **
>
> Jim****
>
> ** **
>  ------------------------------
>
> *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On Behalf
> Of *Keith Bergman
> *Sent:* Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:21 PM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [TI994A] odd joysticks and RF modulator find****
>
> ** **
>
>   ****
>
> model PHP1100.****
> out yet, but I'm really hoping they work.****
>
> home modification, I'm not sure.****
>
> Emulator cart with the 99/4 keyboard overlay).****
>
> Keith****
>
>  
>

---

From: "Ksarul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:09:51 -0400

The overlay is no proof of /4 ownership-a lot of earlier cartridges had them
included in the box up until 1982 or so, when an overlay was needed.   Look
at the manufacture date on the console-it is likely from 1981 or early 1982.

I have one of those modulators around here somewhere too-it came with the
first /4A I bought at the end of 1981.

Jim 

  _____  

  

Keith

---

From: "Ksarul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:40:11 -0400

They are a LOT more responsive than the later ones-and it is easy to repair
them with foil when they wear out too!

Jim

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Keith Bergman
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TI994A] odd joysticks and RF modulator find

Jim,

 

Jim

  _____  

  

Keith