Subject: Telnet from the TI or Geneve....

From: "Marc H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 23:15:35 -0000

Tim brought up an interesting subject a while back concerning devices that allow vintage gear to communicate of the internet in a Telnet fashion.  Several such gizmos seem to be available but they tend to generate as many questions as they provide answers.

There seems to be quite a varied range of knowlege here which includes people with actual practical experience so I am looking for input on the following idea.

What would it take to provide a peripheral for the TI or Geneve that would be as simple as plugging in an Ethernet cable to a modem or or wireless link to a router.

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:56:26 -0700

Marc,

It seems that a UDS-10 (and some later models) are the simplest way to 
connect our antiques (TI/Geneve) computers to the internet via an RS-232 
connection.  I also use a 4 port serial communications server, but now 
days most of us will also have a PC, and with a little know how a telnet 
server can be set up on the PC.  Of course, the PC will require a serial 
com port for connecting the TI/Geneve.  I suspect that a USB <-> RS-232 
can work for a later model PC without com ports, but I haven't tried 
that, yet.

Therefore, it should be possible to make a PEB card with UDS-10 like 
technology with a PEB bus interface rather than a RS-232 interface. 
What will this take?  I don't know as I got out of the hardware end 
about 2 decades ago.  Hardware mistakes were expensive to fix, whereas 
software mistakes are just a "small matter of programming" to fix. :-)

Bill S

-- 
Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)
Go Forth+ or X4th99