Subject: Re: [TI994A] PEB power supply?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:27:49 -0500 (EST)

Kory,
 
I would suggest putting a 3.5" floppy and a 1/2-height 5.25" drive in the  
external power supply. I have that setup in place on my system.  I got an  
old 386 tower for a few $$ at a "computer junk" shop and have two MFM drives 
and  a cooling fan installed in it. I also have two 3.5" drives in the PEB. 
An old  tower enclosure should give you enough power to run a couple of HDs. 
 
Bob Carmany

In a message dated 11/17/2011 3:57:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Hi  all,

I've finished soldering my IDE card together, and want to know  what 
options I have for the PEB power supply. I read that it will not be  sufficient to 
run both a hard drive, and a floppy drive installed in the PEB.  My current 
setup is.. PEB with 2 3.5 floppies, and an external 5.25. I'd like  to just 
have one HD in the box, and one or two 3.5's depending on where I  install 
the HD.. Probably over the unused expansion slots.

I seem to  recall seeing that an ATX power supply could be installed in the 
PEB, but  can't remember where I saw it.. I didn't see it at Mainbyte. If 
anyone knows  where I can find this info please chime in!  

Thanks,
-Kory

------------------------------------

Yahoo!  Groups Links

---

From: "kory" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 22:36:35 -0000

Yeah! Thats a great idea, my only problem is no real space for another tower. Both my TI and my PC's are built into a desk with very limited space I've got an external SCSI Ez-Drive that I thought about putting the HD or a 3.5 floppy into.. but the power supply for the Ez-Drive will not spin the HD up.. MAybe someone has an idea on that one... It's got 1 red wire and 1 black wire without a second black and a yellow. The actual power connector on the back of the Ez-Drive looks like a 5pin round DIN connector. It has two posts on the inside of the drive case that are not being used. One is larger and is part of the metal body, the other is a post that would make contact with one of the power supply's pins, but there is nothing attached to it on the inside. Sorry if that makes little or no sense.. 

I already have a 5.25 floppy installed in an old C64 case, and most of my software has been moved over to 3.5.. So it's really just figuring out how to get the HD and 1 3.5 floppy mounted into the PEB.. though I'd like to have 2 3.5's but it's not a big deal.

Would the power supply upgrade on Mainbyte allow me to get 1 HD and 1 3.5 installed into the PEB?

Thanks again!
-Kory

--- In [email-masked], rmcarmany@... wrote:
> shortbusalaboard@... writes:
> 
> Hi  all,
>

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:40:52 -0700

Kory,

In all my PEB systems I've picked up, at my local electronics shops, 
small 5VDC/12VDC power supplies of 6 to 10 amps that I was able to mount 
at the top of the PEB power supply cover, right above the TI 
transformer.  You can run a separate 5/12 volt power cable from there to 
the disk drive housing or just re-route the existing cable--what ever 
suits your needs best.  Just tap the AC power after the PEB switch, so 
the additional power supply powers up at the same time.

Bill S

-- 
Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)
Go Forth+ or X4th99