Subject: Re: Interest check....

From: Brian Tristam Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:23:13 +0200

Marc, since the original idea behind this was to make the TI "easier to
use," I'm guessing the project wouldn't be aimed at the über high-end
users. For that, you couldn't get away from the PEB easily, for sure.

I don't know a whole lot of people with SCSI support on their TIs, not to
mention hard drives. I'm thinking of the essentials that were offered by
TI. You can do RS-232 on a single chip easily nowadays, diskettes can be
replaced with flash memory, and 32 KB RAM is a breeze. At least then your
kids can run TI-LOGO. Speech is a bit more challenging, but since the Synth
doesn't require its own 110-V power and fan, I'm okay with leaving that in
the side.

I would use the PEB, but I sure don't see it as a necessity for anyone who
wants the machine to be easier to use. I'm thinking of a neat project for
others who don't need to go to that extent just to get the majority of
software to work. Or, when I want to introduce my kid to TI-LOGO (requires
32 K) on the TV in the living room without having to set up an ENIAC for
her.

Now, I'm going to start my project that will make the blinkenlights go
without having to turn the PEB on :)