Subject: TI BASIC++

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:43:22 -0700

A while back we experienced a little excitement (maybe just me?) about 
Rich Gilbertson's cleanup of TI BASIC that included the subprogram CALLs 
from the EA module, and worked quite well for those of use with 
appropriate gram device or something similar in an emulator, and TI 
BASIC programs that run in VDP memory, but the CALLs would fail when the 
program was run in cartridge space setup with MSAVE6 (grams 3 ~ 7).

Fortunately, Tursi looked into the matter, and came up with patches to 
fix this EA module anomaly as EA itself would fail in the same way using 
MSAVE (gram 7 only).  Tursi patched the EA module gram and the Rich 
Gilbertson's REABASIC files renamed EABASGRM.  I tested both the 
modified EA with my TI BASIC+ loader program running in gram 7 (MSAVE 
setup), and the EABASGRM in grams 1&2, and my TI BASIC+ loader program 
in gram 3 ~ 7 (MSAVE6 setup).  I reported the successful test without 
much hoopla following. :-(

Due to my pending move I decided I should document all this carefully as 
the exact steps in setting up my 80K GK and getting everything loaded 
right is extremely important.  This meant retracing my steps back in 
late April and early May required reviewing all the OLUG posts on the 
subject matter.  Eventually, I was able to duplicate the process and 
successfully tested the EA+ MSAVE feature periodically over 24 hours 
without a snag.  I did the same with EABASGRM in grams 1&2 and MSAVE6 in 
grams 1 ~ 7, but after only hours of testing I started getting failures; 
such as, "* ROGRAM NOT FOUND EX" and lockups during  a CALL LINK() (to 
various AL subprograms).

I tried many reloads to no avail.  It even reached the point that TI 
BASIC+ would not successfully
load running in VDP memory.  I went back and re-verified EA+ MSAVE 
without a snag--again.  I went back to EABASGRM & MSAVE6, and it locked 
up before all of TI BASIC+ was loaded.  I had removed the GK battery, so 
that turning off the TI console would utterly clear all gram in the GK 
for all these tests  Suspecting that I might have a heat problem I took 
the 80K GK and put it in my freezer for about 20 minutes.

Everything worked again, but not for very long, so I just gave up.  
However, I did not power down my TI NanoPEB system, but I went back to 
plan my next stage of packing--which would be lots of clothes I don't 
wear any more--no comments please. :-[

Some time later I went back to make sure my GK wasn't burning up, and 
decided to check on the deterioration, so  I moved the TI BASIC switch 
on the GK to Grams 1&2, spaced to the menu and selected 2. For TIB+, and 
watched TI BASIC+ load from grams 3 ~ 7 without a snag, so I began a 
lengthy test of TIB+ features--everything was still working  a day and 
half later.  Then yesterday morning it failed again from gram and from 
VDP in the same way, and has done so all day long; CALL INIT works, but 
the first CALL LOAD() fails.  This was done before and after the bank's 
real estate agent was here to inspect.  I should hear within a week as 
to their accepting me as part of the house or not. :-)

Today it's still in complete failure mode, and I don't have a clue as to 
what's going on, so anyone with any ideas please pipe up.  I need help.  
After powering down for over 2 hours, and reloading from scratch, it's 
working very well again!  Please help.

Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)
Go Forth+ or X4th99

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 16:48:32 -0700

To all,

I've not powered this system down at any time since before the forgoing 
report.  TI BASIC+ with MSAVE6 (grams 3 ~ 7) is still purring perfectly. 
  Thereby negating the earlier comparison with EA+ and MSAVE (gram 7 
only) staying operational for over 24 hours.

I have no idea what I may have done to cause perfection to creep in 
while I wasn't looking or monitoring more closely.  What can I say?

Bill S

On 10/20/2011 4:43 PM, fdos wrote:
> without a snag--again.  I went back to EABASGRM&  MSAVE6, and it locked

-- 
Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)
Go Forth+ or X4th99

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:28:55 -0700

Much to my dismay the purring TI BASIC+ with MSAVE6 saved program must 
have sputtered after 2:00 PM yesterday as that was around the last time 
I checked before going to bed last night when the old symptoms 
reappeared before complete failure.

I've still not powered the system down this morning, but it is still in 
full failure mode, so I will try to recover TI BASIC+ with MSAVE6 later 
today.

In my attempts to further define this failure I went back to MESS to see 
if it would work as I believe it did before.  I was able to fully test 
the simple Tursi modified EA (EA+) module with MSAVE in gram 7, and 
successfully tested the 80 column Winfried Winkler EA module with Tursi 
modification and MSAVE in gram 7 as these are in RPK format.

However, I've not been able to test the original RG TI BASIC with EA 
subprogram support in MESS with the GramKracker RPK nor his cleaned up 
TI BASIC with EA subprogram support nor the Tursi modified versions. 
They seem to load OK, but they don't work a stitch when loaded in Grams 
1 & 2.  The TI BASIC selection is available with the GK switch set to 
Grams 1 & 2, but selection blanks the cyan screen and then locks up in 
all cases.  I even brought the GK files back from my TI NanoPEB system 
to no avail.

I only have my belief that I previously tested these in MESS GK as Rich 
Gilbertson provided the files to me in GK format.  Yet, nothing I have 
tried works thus far.  Is there someone out there that can try these in 
MESS with gramkracker.rpk?  Just be sure not to have an EA or Mini 
Memory Module loaded before testing the subprogram CALLS from TI BASIC 
with EA subprogram support in grams 1 & 2.

Please help.

Bill S

-- 
Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)
Go Forth+ or X4th99

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:01:37 -0700

I hope Michael sees this post also.

I did power up the Ti NanoPEB system about 15 minutes after I sent the 
message below.  I can report that, once again, TI BASIC with EA 
subprogram support in Grams 1 & 2, and MSAVE6 in Grams 3 ~ 7 is purring 
nicely.

Still not the case for the same operation in MESS 0.139, but maybe an 
upgrade to the latest MESS will make a difference.  Hopefully, I can 
report one way or the other before bedtime tomorrow.

Bill S

On 10/27/2011 10:28 AM, fdos wrote:
> 1&  2.  The TI BASIC selection is available with the GK switch set to
> Grams 1&  2, but selection blanks the cyan screen and then locks up in
> with EA subprogram support in grams 1&  2.
>
> Please help.
>
> Bill S
>

-- 
Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)
Go Forth+ or X4th99

---

From: "Michael Zapf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 08:26:49 -0000

Hi Bill,

> I hope Michael sees this post also.

In doubt just send me a message by E-Mail.

If there was a problem I don't think it has been fixed in the meantime, since I did not touch the GK support for a while.

Can you send me a disk image with the files to load into the GK?

Michael

---

From: fdos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:27:41 -0700

On its way.

Bill s

-- 
Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)
Go Forth+ or X4th99