Subject: Re: [TI994A] OT: Desktop sys admin/network engineer

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 20:08:26 -0600

Thanks Chris.  Good stuff there...

I'll probably get the A+ anyway, just because it would be the least expensive and least difficult of them all.  Besides, it may just help to get me out of this damn job I'm in now.  :)

Your suggestions for Network+ and MCP are duly noted and taken to heart.  If a fella had A+, Network+, and an MCP cert, would it be fair to say that person would be employable?

I don't necessarily need to be rich, (it wouldn't hurt) but I do need to be taking a step forward monetarily if I change fields...  I googled it with an EXTREME amount of variation, so I am hoping to hear from some of you guys in the field....  What kind of starting salaries are possible for someone like me with no relevant work experience in the IT field...  Assuming I had the 3 certifications you mentioned?

As I said, I don't need to be making 6 figures, but I need to be able to support the wife and kids.  :)

Owen Brand
Opry99er

Chris and Veronica Schneider <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Owen,
>
>In my recommendation, I would not even pursue an A+ certification.  Those
>are good for destop support and building.  Not many companies really look at
>that certification for much else.
>
>On the flip side:
>
>Network+ is good
>CISSP  (great cert  hard to get)
>Citrix Certifications (Citrix Engineer, architect in XenApp or NetScaler)  -
>very big demand here
>Microsoft Systems Engineer (MCSE)
>Certifications for F5 appliances
>
>These are just to name a few.  Most of the big name companies use multiples
>of the move for hiring and their infrastructure.  Like Shell, ExxonMobil,
>Chevron, Dynegy, Amazon, Google, etc.
>
>To get your foot in the door the Network + and I would also pursue a
>Microsoft certification like the MCP (not Master Control Program) but
>Microsoft Certified Professional, you can get that one from just one exam on
>an operating system like Windows 7, 8, Server 2008.
>
>
>
>Chris
>
>From:  Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To:  <[email-masked]>
>Date:  Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:24:50 -0600
>To:  <[email-masked]>
>Subject:  Re: [TI994A] OT: Desktop sys admin/network engineer
>
> 
> 
> 
>   
>
>Thanks for the reply!!
>
>I've been reading up pretty extensively today on different certifications
>and such.  Looks like I could get my A+ in short order....  Network+ is a
>bit more intense, but not out of reach with some research and practice.
>
>The A+ seems like the first logical step...  The only stuff I'll need to
>study with intensity is the OS stuff...  Newer Windows and Linux.  OSX stuff
>for Apple I could troubleshoot in my sleep...  Learning the handheld device
>stuff will be a bit challenging, as well as some of the more esoteric
>elements of the BIOS and boot order of operations for specific operating
>systems, but it all seems very attainable, and in a short amount of time.
>:)
>
>A+ first, then Network+.  I could do some courses at CSU online for IT
>administration for next to nothing...  CSU has private grants for guys with
>families....  I wouldn't be interested in govt money, but the potential for
>a private grant to start the associates degree sounds appealing.
>
>I have a couple semesters of general education from Univ of Northern
>Colorado where I was studying to be a secondary education (high school)
>history/English teacher...  It won't count for a tech degree, but perhaps it
>will transfer if I choose to pursue a Bachelors of Science.
>
>Sorry....  Thinking out loud.  :)
>
>Owen Brand
>Opry99er
>
>Chris and Veronica Schneider <[email-masked]
><mailto:c.v.schneider%40att.net> > wrote:
>
>>I work in the same type of IT field.  I have been doing it for 25 years.
>>
>>Coding as a job can be very frustrating, especially when you just can't
>>figure out what the hell is wrong with a module and you wake up in the
>>middle of the night and realize you put a semicolon in the wrong place.  Of
>>course then you can't sleep until you go back and fix it.  Not fun..
>>
>>I manage networks, Windows Server systems and Citrix Systems.  Love my job
>>and it pays very well.  I have multiple certifications.
>>
>>As far as education goes, some companies require it for you to get in the
>>door, other's only require certifications.  Down here in Houston, it's the
>>later.  
>>
>>Out of all the places I have worked, Houston probably has the best job
>>market for IT fields in any sort of IT area you want to get in.
>>
>>
>>Chris
>>
>>
>>From:  Owen Brand <[email-masked]
><mailto:owen.brand%40rocketmail.com> >
>>Reply-To:  <[email-masked] <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com> >
>>Date:  Sun, 09 Jun 2013 22:22:02 -0600
>>To:  <[email-masked] <mailto:ti994a%40yahoogroups.com> >
>>Subject:  [TI994A] OT: Desktop sys admin/network engineer
>>
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>   
>>
>>My uncle is a systems administrator for a contract IT company based here in
>>Denver.  He makes very good money and is good at what he does.  Primarily he
>>deals with server based networks, setting up and maintaining hardware, and
>>troubleshooting (but not writing or developing) software.
>>He has nudged me in the direction of obtaining a starting associates degree
>>in this field and pursuing further education once I am working in the field.
>>
>>Do any of you guys work in a field such as his?  Is the work rewarding?
>>I love computers, always have...  Im probably not the guy to write and
>>develop software, but troubleshooting and maintaining networks just sounds
>>right up my alley (with proper training, of course).
>>
>>Im in a sh## dead end job now...  This seems like a viable and exciting
>>option going forward.  Any thoughts, guys?
>>
>>Owen Brand
>>Opry99er
>> 
>>   
>>
>> 
>>
>>
> 
>   
>
> 
>
>

---

From: Chris and Veronica Schneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 21:25:07 -0500

Definitely employable.  I had my son get his MCP when he was 17, that's the
earliest you can get it.  Certain certificates are worth more than others
when it comes to employment.  I have done a lot of IT stuff, started out on
a help desk years back, then climbed the ladder.  Of course I jumped from
company to company on long term contracts.  Contract rats pay about 33% more
than permanent employees.    I contracted for a good 15 years to sock back
cash and then I went full time with the company I am with now.

I have seen MCSE's and Citrix Admins once they get 6 years under their belt
to easily get 100k+ a year with no issue.  At least here in Houston.
Houston has about the strongest IT job market in the states.  Of course if
you want to earn good money you can always get contracted to a company in
Brazil and make close to 300k a year and live like a millionaire there.

Chris and Veronica Schneider

Date:  Tue, 11 Jun 2013 20:08:26 -0600

I'll probably get the A+ anyway, just because it would be the least
expensive and least difficult of them all.  Besides, it may just help to get
me out of this damn job I'm in now.  :)

Your suggestions for Network+ and MCP are duly noted and taken to heart.  If
a fella had A+, Network+, and an MCP cert, would it be fair to say that
person would be employable?

I don't necessarily need to be rich, (it wouldn't hurt) but I do need to be
taking a step forward monetarily if I change fields...  I googled it with an
EXTREME amount of variation, so I am hoping to hear from some of you guys in
the field....  What kind of starting salaries are possible for someone like
me with no relevant work experience in the IT field...  Assuming I had the 3
certifications you mentioned?

As I said, I don't need to be making 6 figures, but I need to be able to
support the wife and kids.  :)

Owen Brand
Opry99er

>To:  <[email-masked] <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com> >
<mailto:c.v.schneider%40att.net>
>>From:  Owen Brand <[email-masked]
<mailto:owen.brand%40rocketmail.com>
>>Reply-To:  <[email-masked] <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com> >
>>To:  <[email-masked] <mailto:ti994a%40yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:ti994a%40yahoogroups.com> >