Subject: Re: [TI994A] OT: Desktop sys admin/network engineer

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:24:50 -0600

Thanks for the reply!!

I've been reading up pretty extensively today on different certifications and such.  Looks like I could get my A+ in short order....  Network+ is a bit more intense, but not out of reach with some research and practice.  

The A+ seems like the first logical step...  The only stuff I'll need to study with intensity is the OS stuff...  Newer Windows and Linux.  OSX stuff for Apple I could troubleshoot in my sleep...  Learning the handheld device stuff will be a bit challenging, as well as some of the more esoteric elements of the BIOS and boot order of operations for specific operating systems, but it all seems very attainable, and in a short amount of time.  :)

A+ first, then Network+.  I could do some courses at CSU online for IT administration for next to nothing...  CSU has private grants for guys with families....  I wouldn't be interested in govt money, but the potential for a private grant to start the associates degree sounds appealing.  

I have a couple semesters of general education from Univ of Northern Colorado where I was studying to be a secondary education (high school) history/English teacher...  It won't count for a tech degree, but perhaps it will transfer if I choose to pursue a Bachelors of Science.

Sorry....  Thinking out loud.  :)

Owen Brand
Opry99er

Chris and Veronica Schneider <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I work in the same type of IT field.  I have been doing it for 25 years.
>
>Coding as a job can be very frustrating, especially when you just can't
>figure out what the hell is wrong with a module and you wake up in the
>middle of the night and realize you put a semicolon in the wrong place.  Of
>course then you can't sleep until you go back and fix it.  Not fun..
>
>I manage networks, Windows Server systems and Citrix Systems.  Love my job
>and it pays very well.  I have multiple certifications.
>
>As far as education goes, some companies require it for you to get in the
>door, other's only require certifications.  Down here in Houston, it's the
>later.  
>
>Out of all the places I have worked, Houston probably has the best job
>market for IT fields in any sort of IT area you want to get in.
>
>
>Chris
>
>
>From:  Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To:  <[email-masked]>
>Date:  Sun, 09 Jun 2013 22:22:02 -0600
>To:  <[email-masked]>
>Subject:  [TI994A] OT: Desktop sys admin/network engineer
>
> 
> 
> 
>   
>
>My uncle is a systems administrator for a contract IT company based here in
>Denver.  He makes very good money and is good at what he does.  Primarily he
>deals with server based networks, setting up and maintaining hardware, and
>troubleshooting (but not writing or developing) software.
>He has nudged me in the direction of obtaining a starting associates degree
>in this field and pursuing further education once I am working in the field.
>
>Do any of you guys work in a field such as his?  Is the work rewarding?
>I love computers, always have...  Im probably not the guy to write and
>develop software, but troubleshooting and maintaining networks just sounds
>right up my alley (with proper training, of course).
>
>Im in a sh## dead end job now...  This seems like a viable and exciting
>option going forward.  Any thoughts, guys?
>
>Owen Brand
>Opry99er
> 
>   
>
> 
>
>

---

From: Chris and Veronica Schneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:40:19 -0500

Owen,

In my recommendation, I would not even pursue an A+ certification.  Those
are good for destop support and building.  Not many companies really look at
that certification for much else.

On the flip side:

Network+ is good
CISSP  (great cert  hard to get)
Citrix Certifications (Citrix Engineer, architect in XenApp or NetScaler)  -
very big demand here
Microsoft Systems Engineer (MCSE)
Certifications for F5 appliances

These are just to name a few.  Most of the big name companies use multiples
of the move for hiring and their infrastructure.  Like Shell, ExxonMobil,
Chevron, Dynegy, Amazon, Google, etc.

To get your foot in the door the Network + and I would also pursue a
Microsoft certification like the MCP (not Master Control Program) but
Microsoft Certified Professional, you can get that one from just one exam on
an operating system like Windows 7, 8, Server 2008.

Chris

From:  Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Reply-To:  <[email-masked]>
Date:  Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:24:50 -0600
To:  <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: [TI994A] OT: Desktop sys admin/network engineer

Thanks for the reply!!

I've been reading up pretty extensively today on different certifications
and such.  Looks like I could get my A+ in short order....  Network+ is a
bit more intense, but not out of reach with some research and practice.

The A+ seems like the first logical step...  The only stuff I'll need to
study with intensity is the OS stuff...  Newer Windows and Linux.  OSX stuff
for Apple I could troubleshoot in my sleep...  Learning the handheld device
stuff will be a bit challenging, as well as some of the more esoteric
elements of the BIOS and boot order of operations for specific operating
systems, but it all seems very attainable, and in a short amount of time.
:)

A+ first, then Network+.  I could do some courses at CSU online for IT
administration for next to nothing...  CSU has private grants for guys with
families....  I wouldn't be interested in govt money, but the potential for
a private grant to start the associates degree sounds appealing.

I have a couple semesters of general education from Univ of Northern
Colorado where I was studying to be a secondary education (high school)
history/English teacher...  It won't count for a tech degree, but perhaps it
will transfer if I choose to pursue a Bachelors of Science.

Owen Brand
Opry99er

Chris and Veronica Schneider <[email-masked]
<mailto:c.v.schneider%40att.net> > wrote:

>From:  Owen Brand <[email-masked]
<mailto:owen.brand%40rocketmail.com> >
>Reply-To:  <[email-masked] <mailto:TI994A%40yahoogroups.com> >
>To:  <[email-masked] <mailto:ti994a%40yahoogroups.com> >