Subject: Re: [TI994A] Salmo Civil War Series and Barry Traver's XXB

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:25:22 -0600

Excellent!!!  One will probably need to do some code breakdown to figure out what to do with the Civil War game...  I won't have any time to mess around with it in the foreseeable future, unfortunately, but maybe someone will take an hour or so and dig around in there to find out how to work it.  

Cool recoveries!

Owen Brand
Opry99er

Tursi <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Some years ago, I acquired a collection of TI stuff from a fellow in San 
>Francisco. One of the things he wanted me to be aware of was a set of Civil 
>War Simulation games by Salmo Software.
>
>These originally shipped on Cassette tape, but I also have DSK versions. 
>Last night, while working out what was wrong with Classic99, I fixed my disk 
>transfer utility, and transferred the disks over.
>
>I do not know a lot about how to play them. They are mentioned in Cyc, but I 
>wasn't able to find much out about them. I can get you started, but someone 
>may have to spend a little more time to work out the games.
>
>They seem to be two player simulations of various battles. The North and the 
>South each enter a secret code of their choice -- this is a password so that 
>one player can't enter moves for the other. A menu appears after codes are 
>entered, and I get a bit uncertain there. You can enter a mode where you 
>move crosshairs around with the arrow keys (and diagonals around them) and 
>'lock' onto pieces with 'L', but I'm a little unclear what else you have to 
>do.
>
>The three disks are SHILO, GETTYSBURG and BULLRUN. They are Extended BASIC 
>auto-run disks (so install into DSK1 and autostart, or run DSK1.LOAD). They 
>expect their data files to be in DSK1. The XB code looks like it was adapted 
>from cassette fairly trivially - there's still mention of loading your data 
>tape in CS1 in some of them. But that is all taken care of.
>
>I was asked to release these, and I do apologize for how long it took, but 
>enjoy!
>
>Screenshots and download at Atari Age: 
>http://atariage.com/forums/topic/213662-some-new-old-software/page__gopid__2778551#entry2778551
>
>if you can't download from AtariAge, I've also temporarily put the zip here: 
>http://harmlesslion.com/temp/Salmo_CivilWar.zip
>
>----
>
>A second thing I wanted to post.. one of my original TI disks that I still 
>have is Barry Traver's XXB, which I was using to do raw sector writes from 
>Extended BASIC. I went looking for docs on the PC and could not find the 
>disk on WHTech, so I thought it might be lost too, and so have uploaded it, 
>just in case it's useful to someone.
>
>It's basically a set of CALL LINKs to extend Extended BASIC with things like 
>raw disk access and 40 column text. Docs are included.
>
>Same link as above, or download from here: 
>http://harmlesslion.com/temp/xxb.dsk
>