Subject: More HRD questions....

From: "Marc H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 20:57:20 -0000

Turns out the problem was in some crappy IC sockets.  Who would of thunk it ??

I do have a couple of tech questions that hopefully someone can shed some light on.

It is apparent that the HRD 3000 is capable of holding and physically addressing around 6 MB of memory in a single layer configuration and around 12 MB in a double layer fashion.  My understanding (which may be wrong) is that the traditional HRD access maxes out at about 3.5 meg. 

I am assuming that this is because the ROS will only allow 9 drives at a max of 1600 sectors each.

Now the question.....  Is this simply a convention of ROS (allowing 9 drives only which allow the 3.5 MB) or is there a deeper cause rooted in some TI DSR or ROM code ?

Thanks.

Marcus...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 16:06:43 -0500 (EST)

Jacques,
 
Check the battery circuit. If it is losing memory overnight, I would  
suspect a short in the battery backup circuit. That would certainly cause what  
it to lose the contents.
 
Bob Carmany

In a message dated 2/7/2012 6:31:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I have 3 RD cards installed in my PEB. 
 
1 – HRD 4000 installed at >1000 and configured as 5 DSDD drives (4, 5,  6, 
7, C) and a drive A of 896 sectors. Next to nothing left over for RAMBO.  
BTW OPA had a few programs that used RAMBO. Harry Wilhelm also wrote some  
programs that used this memory.
 
2 – A 512K HRD (vintage unknown) installed at >1400 and configured as  1 
DSDD drive (8) and a second drive of 600 sectors (9).
 
3 – A 192K RD (not HRD) installed at >1600 and configured as a drive 3  of 
760 sectors. This card has about 5 or 6 empty sockets and could be  expanded.
 
I also have 2 floppy drives used as DSK1 and DSK2. My PEB is full because  
it also contains a SAMS and a HSGPL card.
 
My HRD 4000 card still has problems in retaining memory overnight so each  
day I must reload its 6 drives. The last time that I ran the ROS TST 
programs,  all 3 TST programs ran without indicating any errors.
 
About a month ago all 3 RD cards went down and I had to use Mini Memory  to 
reinstall ROS in each card. Since I was using Funnelweb in DSK5  I  have 
now decided to move the FW files to DSK3. I started this task over the  last 
weekend so that even though my HRD 4000 is down I would still have a  
workable TI-99/4A set-up although with access to fewer programs. I am also in  the 
process of reviewing all the installed programs and removing those that I  
rarely use.
 
Jacques

From: [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])  
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:18 AM
To: [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])  
Subject: Re: [TI994A] More HRD questions....

Oh yea you may have run into the ROS problem they had in that it could only 
 be used for so many small drives and the rest for memory. 
If memory serves me there were numerous programs that would use the extra  
memory not used for drives. 
I think one was a music program that Don O'Neil wrote to use that memory. I 
 never messed with it but I think Bruce Harrison did. 
Rich

____________________________________
From: "Marc Hull" <[email-masked]>
To:  [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, February 6, 2012 2:29:07  PM
Subject: Re: Re: [TI994A] More HRD questions....

 
This card is only a 2 MEG HRD3000 with 4-512's.   When I run configure and 
edit the drives then the program will list only  1 page (10 possibilities) 
so I am not getting how you can format more  than 10 drives per card (I said 
9 earlier but that is not correct.)  Formatting at 360 sectors per drive 
leaves a shitload of memory after  configing the tenth drive but I can't seem 
to go past that one.   Need some finesse here.  I'm out of brute force at the 
moment  ;-).  Thanks Richard.

Hull...

--- On  Mon, 2/6/12, [email-masked]  <[email-masked]> wrote:

From:  [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Re: [TI994A] More HRD questions....
To:  [email-masked]
Date: Monday, February 6, 2012, 4:08  PM

What's the physical setup? How many meg total? BTW, normal  convention is 
to use CRU 1400 and 1600 for RAM disks. Other CRUs can  be used but it's a 
pain when you put another card in like an RS232/2  at 1500 forgetting your RAM 
disk is there and you wipe _the ROS on your  next boot. 

On  02/06/12, Marc Hull<[email-masked]>  wrote:  

So perhaps this is what led  me to believe  that there is a Ramdisk limit 
per card. 

When I get to  end of the list while formatting the RD's I can't go past 
the  10th one.  Need some knowledge here  Rich.

--- On Mon, 2/6/12, [email-masked] 
(wlmailhtml:{20D0AD53-3221-41C3-825F-B7AF9786C7C2}mid://00000036/)  <[email-masked] 
(wlmailhtml:{20D0AD53-3221-41C3-825F-B7AF9786C7C2}mid://00000036/) >  wrote:

From: [email-masked] 
(wlmailhtml:{20D0AD53-3221-41C3-825F-B7AF9786C7C2}mid://00000036/)  <[email-masked] 
(wlmailhtml:{20D0AD53-3221-41C3-825F-B7AF9786C7C2}mid://00000036/) >
Subject: Re:  [TI994A] More HRD questions....
To: [email-masked] 
(wlmailhtml:{20D0AD53-3221-41C3-825F-B7AF9786C7C2}mid://00000036/) 
Date:  Monday, February 6, 2012, 3:21 PM

Ummm.....My main system is setup with two WHT 4000  series. One card is 8 
meg (512 SRAMS) and the other is 2 meg  (1! 28 SRAMS). Disks are 5 thru 9 and 
F thru Z 1600 sectors  each disk.

On  02/06/12, Marc H<[email-masked] 
(wlmailhtml:{20D0AD53-3221-41C3-825F-B7AF9786C7C2}mid://00000036/) >  wrote:  

Turns  out the problem was in some crappy IC sockets. Who would of  thunk 
it ??

I do have a couple of tech questions that  hopefully someone can shed some 
light on.

It is  apparent that the HRD 3000 is capable of holding and  physically 
addressing around 6 MB of memory in a single layer  configuration and around 12 
MB in a double layer fashion. My  understanding (which may be wrong) is 
that the traditional HRD  access maxes out at about 3.5 meg. 

I am assuming that  this is because the ROS will only allow 9 drives at a 
max of  1600 sectors each.

Now the question..... Is this simply  a convention of ROS (allowing 9 
drives only which allow the  3.5 MB) or is there a deeper cause rooted in some TI 
DSR or  ROM code  ?

Thanks.

Marcus...

------------------------------------

Yahoo!  Groups Links

(Yahoo!  ID required)