Subject: Can you MERGE assembly source into Win99/4A?

From: "roundf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 22:33:59 -0000

Can you merge a file into the Win99/4A disk manager for use with Assembly? MERGEing XB programs saves a lot of typing by merging in text files. Can I MERGE or import a text file into the Editor/Assembler so I don't have to retype the whole source code?

I merged a text file into a virtual disk as a VAR/163, it was a text file with source code typed in. How can I "import" it into the E/A?

James

---

From: "gregallenwarner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 13:27:35 -0000

The COPY assembler directive will instruct the assembler to load in the contents of the specified file and place it inline in the source. For example, if I have a source file called "DSK1.HEADER" that I want to include at the top of another program, I place the following directive wherever I want the contents of DSK1.HEADER to appear in my file:

LABEL  COPY "DSK1.HEADER"

Make sure you use the quotes around the file name. The line label is optional.

Regards,
Greg W.

---

From: "Jacques" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 20:33:58 -0300

Hi James,

My initial answer is "I don't know"

Actually I have the same problem. I found instructions on how to set up a 
HSGPL card on MESS. Over the last few days I have been assembling the 
various files called for by the instructions. One of the steps call for 
assembling a short assembly program (about 60 to 70 lines). For now I have 
just printed out the source code. The instructions attached say to use 
TIImage Tool to put the source on a PC or a terminal emulator program such 
as Telco to put the source file on a TI. I think that I could also use 
MagicFM to put the source file on my TI, assemble it there and then transfer 
it first to my DOS PC and then again to my NetBook. Then I have to get it 
into a dsk file so that I can use it with MESS. There must be an easier 
way.<grin>

I only ever assembled one short Lottrup program on Win994A and it was over 2 
years ago. Burr provided a separate WinAsm99 program to assemble programs. 
From what I remember you can save your source listing using the PC Notebook 
program giving you a text file with a .txt extension. Change this extension 
to .src (? check docs) and I think you can load this file into WinAsm99 to 
give you a file with an .obj extension. Somewhere along the line I think 
that you will have to use his Disk Manager program to get the .obj file onto 
a TIdisk to run on his simulator. Sorry I cannot be more specific. I just do 
not know. If I can solve my problem I will let you know what I did. Our 
problems are similar.

Jacques

-----Original Message----- 
From: roundf
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:33 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TI994A] Can you MERGE assembly source into Win99/4A?

Can you merge a file into the Win99/4A disk manager for use with Assembly? 
MERGEing XB programs saves a lot of typing by merging in text files. Can I 
MERGE or import a text file into the Editor/Assembler so I don't have to 
retype the whole source code?

I merged a text file into a virtual disk as a VAR/163, it was a text file 
with source code typed in. How can I "import" it into the E/A?

James

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "epergrem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 19:34:32 -0000

James,

I'm not familiar with Win99/4A, but does it use a V9T9 dsk file or individual files?

If a v9t9 dsk file then TI Image Tool will allow you to import the contents of the text file into the v9t9 disk as a DV80 file.  

Ernie

---

From: Gregory McGill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 13:42:39 -0700

Yes it is v9t9 format just a different filename ext
On Jun 28, 2013 12:34 PM, "epergrem" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> **
> If a v9t9 dsk file then TI Image Tool will allow you to import the
> contents of the text file into the v9t9 disk as a DV80 file.
>
> Ernie
>
> > Can you merge a file into the Win99/4A disk manager for use with
> Assembly? MERGEing XB programs saves a lot of typing by merging in text
> files. Can I MERGE or import a text file into the Editor/Assembler so I
> don't have to retype the whole source code?
> >
> > I merged a text file into a virtual disk as a VAR/163, it was a text
> file with source code typed in. How can I "import" it into the E/A?
> >
> > James
> >
>
>  
>

---

From: "Tony Knerr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 23:37:23 -0000

Hi Jacques.

When I put together the file needed for the HSGPL emulation in MESS, I just transferred the necessary 'pieces' or images to my PC then glued them together with a hex editor in the correct order. I'm not sure what procedure you're using, but the way I did it was fairly easy.

Tony

---

From: "Jacques" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 21:44:16 -0300

Hi Tony,

I am just about ready to set up my MESS HSGPL card. The instructions I found 
on Ninerpedia seem pretty straight forward and close to what I know about my 
TI HSGPL card. I was getting corrupted disks when I copied a file say from 
DSK3 to DSK2 on MESS. Michael is looking into my problem. I hesitate to do 
too with MESS while this problem exists.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Bye for now,

Jacques

-----Original Message----- 
From: Tony Knerr
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 8:37 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TI994A] Re: Can you MERGE assembly source into Win99/4A?

Hi Jacques.

When I put together the file needed for the HSGPL emulation in MESS, I just 
transferred the necessary 'pieces' or images to my PC then glued them 
together with a hex editor in the correct order. I'm not sure what procedure 
you're using, but the way I did it was fairly easy.

Tony

Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "Michael Zapf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 11:31:47 -0000

Hi all,

as I already posted on AtariAge I suspect a regression with the WD19xx controller chips used in the TI and BwG controllers. The regression occured because I did not have the time to adapt to the changes in the floppy system yet.

I would recommend to use the HFDC controller until this has been resolved. I did a test, and the HFDC seems to work properly; mainly because it's only me who is working with it (using the HDC9234 chip), so it seems I'm bypassing the changes of the floppy system here. The WD19xx chips occur more frequently, so this may be a case of bit rot in the floppy access routines that are now legacy.

Michael

---

From: Jeff White <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 20:35:57 -0400

> as I already posted on AtariAge I suspect a regression with the WD19xx controller chips used in the TI and BwG controllers. The regression occured because I did not have the time to adapt to the ch…
<snip>

Just to clarify, they are WD1771 on the TI and WD1773 on the BwG.  There were the 179x and 279x series that were quite software compatible with the 177x series.

Jeff White

---

From: "Michael Zapf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 09:27:01 -0000

> Just to clarify, they are WD1771 on the TI and WD1773 on the BwG.  
> There were the 179x and 279x series that were quite software 
> compatible with the 177x series.

Yes, sorry for the misnomer. AFAIK the controller on the TI controller is called FD1771, the first one of its family. The others were named WDxxxx, like WD1773.

Michael