Subject: Re: [TI994A] TI-99/4A Y, R-Y and B-Y to RGB Converter

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:28:30 -0400 (EDT)

The problem with the F18A is that it will only address 16K of VRAM. I had  
considered buying one (or more) but I would lose the luxury of the expanded  
text/source code buffers in F'WEB. On the other hand, MESS and Classic99 
(Vn  368) will address the expanded buffers. I haven't yet mounted MESS but I 
have  started constructing Classic99 in my TI system's image - complete with 
an auto  boot menu and 80-col F'WEB.
 
Bob  Carmany  

In a message dated 8/21/2013 3:25:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Why not just put a F18A in your TI console, and use  a cheaper easy to find 
VGA monitor, as Analog RGB monitors are hard to find,  and very expensive 
when you do find one (usually studio quality).  I  stopped working on my 
TMS9928ANL project when I ordered two F18A kits last  year.  Excellent VGA 
video.  No hi-res graphics, but lo-res looks  clean and crisp.

Once done you could do a project to add external VDP  RAM and registers for 
hi-res graphics.  I don't know if this is possible,  but we could ask 
Matthew.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 8/21/2013 3:22  AM, Brian Tristam Williams wrote:

 
I've finally decided to make an attempt at creating a solution for  
something I've always wanted: RGB output on the TI-99/4A. I started _this_ 
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TI994A/photos/album/1327059790/pic/1545435629/view)   
last night,  based on this . We'll see  what travails I encounter along the 
way.

---

From: tursi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:42:57 -0700 (PDT)

I disagree that it's a problem, rather that you have a different need.

The F18A is a replacement for the 9918A VDP, /not/ the 9938. If you need 
the 9938, then no, an F18A is not your solution.

The F18A meets and exceeds the 9918A, providing a VGA output, embedded 
9900-compatible co-processor, enhanced video modes and 80-column text, and 
18k of VRAM, but it does not replace the 9938 because it does not support 
the 9938 video modes (except for 80 column), mouse or extended memory.

Since the original message was addressed towards the project to build an 
RGB output circuit for a 9928, the F18A is a viable replacement in that 
case. On the other hand, the project is good too, since it's fun to do 
things just because they can be done. ;)

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, [email-masked] wrote:
> text/source code buffers in F'WEB. On the other hand, MESS and Classic99 (Vn
> 368) will address the expanded buffers. I haven't yet mounted MESS but I
>       Why not just put a F18A in your TI console, and use a cheaper
>       easy to find VGA monitor, as Analog RGB monitors are hard to
>       find, and very expensive when you do find one (usually studio
>       quality).  I stopped working on my TMS9928ANL project when I
>       ordered two F18A kits last year.  Excellent VGA video.  No
>       hi-res graphics, but lo-res looks clean and crisp.
>
>       Once done you could do a project to add external VDP RAM and
>       registers for hi-res graphics.  I don't know if this is
>       possible, but we could ask Matthew.
>
>       Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
> 
>       I've finally decided to make an attempt at creating a
>       solution for something I've always wanted: RGB output on
>       the TI-99/4A. I started this  last night, based on this .
>       We'll see what travails I encounter along the way.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>

---

From: Bill R sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 14:56:20 -0700

Thanks Mike,

Exactly my point.  The VGA output agrees with my eyes (cataracts, I 
can't do anything about them until my cardiologist says I can) for the 
things I do most; 80 column editor for AL programming, as I can see the 
comments without screen paging horizontally, and I can see the entire 64 
columns during X4th99 and TF development. Besides I'm not sure I will 
get back to TF, as I'm sure they've gone beyond what I was working on by 
now.  My TF cartridge was also lost in the move.  I know I can load it 
several other ways, but I think I forgot all I learned about programming 
in TF/F83 during my hiatus.  I'm also spending most my time on TIB+, so 
I can finish it up, hopefully.  Dealing with a PEB that is eating my 
RAVE 99 Speech adapter cards right now.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 8/21/2013 1:42 PM, tursi wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, [email-masked] <mailto:rmcarmany%40aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > [email-masked] <mailto:br911sullivan%40gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >