Subject: Re: [TI994A] EPROM/device programmers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 19:26:06 -0400

I agree. I have both as well.
 
Bob Carmany

In a message dated 10/23/2014 6:45:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

The MiniPro is the best of the lot. I have it and  the Genius.

It does the 29C040 chip that you mentioned as well as the  1284P used in 
the Ubergrom cart...
... as well as anything else I've thrown  at it with the exception of a 
bunch of AT49F040 chips that I suspect are  bad.

Tony

On 10/23/2014 6:29 PM, Jeff White [email-masked] 
(mailto:[email-masked])  [TI994A]  wrote:

What is the consensus on value EPROM/device programmers? Specifically,  the 
cheap ones? Here are the USB ones I read about:

Genius  G540
MiniPro TL866
Willem CQ-4X

I have a serial interface  EPROMmer that does up to 28-pin DIP EPROMs, and 
a parallel interface  EPROMmer that does up to 32-pin DIP EPROMs. They also 
do EEPROM and other  devices.

The day of the com1 (RS232) and lpt1 (parallel) ports,  except through 
converters, is disappearing. Especially on notebook  computers. Getting the 
timing right with converters would probably be a  challenge.

I believe I have read recommendations here on the "better"  USB-to-RS232 
converters. Anyone have experience with a good value  USB-to-parallel 
converter? 

Of the G540, TL866, or CQ-4X, which do  you have and why? Is the software 
good or marginal? Close all other Windows,  or works okay with other 
applications running?

I know Tim has a  CQ-4X, but it does not handle the Atmel 29C040 EEPROM. 
Not sure that is an  issue except for the PFM.

Jeff White

____________________________________
 Posted by: Jeff White _<[email-masked]>_ 
(mailto:[email-masked])    
____________________________________

(https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TI994A/conversations/messages/9036;_ylc=X3oDMTJxb2Q1dTdhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMyMzIxMDU5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTExNT
M4NgRtc2dJZAM5MDM2BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTQxNDEwMzM2MA--?act=reply
&messageNum=9036)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 07:28:01 -0500

I can't speak directly to the 29C040 but I have found that some of the  
27C040 chips of Chinese origin are apparently counterfeit. There seems to be a  
problem with the chip ID bytes that causes ransom errors when the contents 
are  programmed and/or verified. I have been able to program them 
successfully by  unchecking the box "Check ID". They program and verify just fine as 
long as you  don't check to see what they are. The ID bytes are wrong.
 
Bob Carmany

In a message dated 11/6/2014 1:25:33 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Tim and Tony, did you test the 29C040 (non-A) with the  MiniPro in Evanston?

On to my challenge:

I have my parallel port  Pocket Programmer on an old Dell Latitude notebook 
running WinXP.  I am  running the latest, that I know, Windows version of 
its software.   

1.  It reads 2516 and 2532 EPROMs just fine.  I load the  buffer multiple 
times and the checksum confirms.

2.  I have two  AMD AM27C010 32-pin EPROMs that are supposed to have the 
same contents, but I  cannot find the file and I want to recreate it.  With 
both EPROMs, I  clear and load the buffer multiple times.  I do not get a 
consistent  checksum.  I perform a buffer comparison of the loaded buffer to the 
 EPROM just loaded to the buffer and there are several failed comparisons, 
but  no discernible pattern and not all bytes.

Is there a failure mode of  EPROMs such that they would not give consistent 
readings for a byte?   Since the 2516 and 2532 read fine every time and are 
slower access, I would  think the read speed of the AM27C010 would not be 
overly fast.

Jeff  White

------------------------------------
Posted by: Jeff White  <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo  Groups Links