Subject: getting my ass kicked......

From: "Marc H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 01:16:13 -0000

I need a soldering guru to help me out.  I have a HRD that I am stripping out and for the life of me I cannot get the holes clear.  I suspect that the builder used silver solder as I cannot get it to heat enough to flow without scorching the board.  It will not wick and my suction gun works like a pea shooter in a firefight.  I have tried a hot air gun and compressed air and that just spread out what is above the surface but did nothing to clear the through holes.

The solder itself is a dull grey like ROHS solder and extremely sticky.  Before I pull out the 40 watt iron and the radio shack plunger does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks....

Marcus

---

From: Chris and Veronica Schneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:21:15 -0500

I have had the same issue on some older boards.  I have had luck about 50/50
to put new solder on the hole to and reheat and suck it out.  But as I said,
it's a 50/50 shot.  Otherwise you can use a desolder braid.

Chris 

From:  Marc H <[email-masked]>
Reply-To:  <[email-masked]>
Date:  Thu, 29 Aug 2013 01:16:13 -0000
To:  <[email-masked]>
Subject:  [TI994A] getting my ass kicked......

I need a soldering guru to help me out.  I have a HRD that I am stripping
out and for the life of me I cannot get the holes clear.  I suspect that the
builder used silver solder as I cannot get it to heat enough to flow without
scorching the board.  It will not wick and my suction gun works like a pea
shooter in a firefight.  I have tried a hot air gun and compressed air and
that just spread out what is above the surface but did nothing to clear the
through holes.

The solder itself is a dull grey like ROHS solder and extremely sticky.
Before I pull out the 40 watt iron and the radio shack plunger does anyone
have any ideas ?

Thanks....

Marcus

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:31:49 -0400

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Marc H <[email-masked]> wrote:

> **
> anyone have any ideas ?

Get a piece of small wire, a resistor you don't need would work. Heat the
pad and insert the resistor and keep it moving while you remove the heat.