Subject: Re: FW: [TI994A] nanoPEB - SIO

From: Owen Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 21:26:15 -0600

Jaime is a far superior hardware guy to me...  Matter of fact, im a novice at best.  

I hope he reconsiders the most recent changes...  He seems reasonable enough.  The early nanoPEBs were quite brilliantly conceived.  If I had one of those, I would be happy.  I don't need a super device, the older version of the nano would be just fine with me...

Im just saying that if he is unable or unwilling to change the current model, we may need to go elsewhere.  Im no revolutionary.  :)

Owen Brand
Opry99er

kevan064 <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Owen,
>   I agree with your outlook.  Actually, it was a little depressing to see him selling these today.  From what I've read, he is aware of the issue/problem with them, but decided to sell them anyway.  
>
>   While he did list the specifications, some people may not be aware of the exact meaning behind the specs.  This is ONLY MY OPINION, but it seems sort unethical to me.
>
>   I'm open for another device, I will not repeat what I'm looking for, as I've said it a few times now, but I WILL BUY if it's what I've been asking for!
>
>   IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME!  <GRIN>  
>
>

---

From: Gregory McGill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 21:20:14 -0700

I would have preferred to find out from a clearly marked auction rather
than once I tried it at home.  Yes it says that in the text but I thought I
was buying a known quantity. So who reads the details when you already
"know" what your getting..

Regardless a 16C550 beats the ears off a 9902 as far as speed, perhaps some
custom software/dsr is in order for pc transfers..I wanted mine for HDX..
 which is out of the picture probably unless Fred works his magic.

Greg

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Owen Brand <[email-masked]>wrote:

> **
> I hope he reconsiders the most recent changes... He seems reasonable
> enough. The early nanoPEBs were quite brilliantly conceived. If I had one
> of those, I would be happy. I don't need a super device, the older version
> of the nano would be just fine with me...
>
> Im just saying that if he is unable or unwilling to change the current
> model, we may need to go elsewhere. Im no revolutionary. :)
>
> Owen Brand
> Opry99er
>
>
> > I agree with your outlook. Actually, it was a little depressing to see
> him selling these today. From what I've read, he is aware of the
> issue/problem with them, but decided to sell them anyway.
> >
> > While he did list the specifications, some people may not be aware of
> the exact meaning behind the specs. This is ONLY MY OPINION, but it seems
> sort unethical to me.
> >
> > I'm open for another device, I will not repeat what I'm looking for, as
> I've said it a few times now, but I WILL BUY if it's what I've been asking
> for!
> >

---

From: "kevan064" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 05:03:15 -0000

Greg,   I hear ya, so much for a KNOWN quantity!  I learned the same
way... at home.
    The last three different auctions have changed slightly  THIS FIRST
AUCTION
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/200928227372?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p\
3984.m1497.l2649>   is the one I bought mine from... notice the small
description?   THIS SECOND AUCTION
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/TI-99-4a-CompactFlash-Drive-RS232-Port-nanoPEB-\
w-2gb-Apacer-/200938873875?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&has\
>   where he sold the 10 at one time, was slightly larger in the
description.  Now THIS LAST AUCTION
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/TI-99-4a-CompactFlash-Drive-COM1-Port-nanoPEB-w\
-2gb-Apacer-/200941476125>  highlights the COM1.
   He will probably sell them all, although it's taking longer this time
as words out, but not everyone is going to get it in time.  I bet there
will be a few more unhappy campers out there in a week to 10 days.
   It really does suck, not being able to hook up to my computer.  I
spent way more time than I want to admit screwing around with the damn
thing.  I thought I was going crazy because I could not get CF2K to run,
or Telco or anything else.  I bet Fred Kaal thought I was a freaking
idiot because I could not get it to run.  As it turns out it was the
freaking NanoPEB all along!
   I'm with Owen on this one, it's time to design a better mouse trap and
let capitalism thrive.
-----Kevan
P.S.  People, don't forget to upload a photo of your system in the new
PHOTOS OR USERS      SYSTEMS!