Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] PEB status report (changed from PEB woes?)

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:30:32 -0700

Good news!  SCSI now working well.  I can access the Solid State SCSI 
drive, the SyQuest EZFlyer 230MB drive and the SyQuest EZ135MB drive.  I 
can see the SCSI CD-ROM drive, but I have to find the software on a SCSI 
cartridge somewhere before I can test it.  I do have CD-ROM discs for 
it.  I also have many cartridges for the EZFlyer230MB & EZ135MB drives 
besides those currently mounted.  Nice to even see the backups I made 
just before departing Poland late 1997.

Having hobby fun again--life is sweet.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 8/28/2013 5:58 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I have as much of my TI/Geneve software in emulation files (mostly 
> V9T9) as I could legitimately copy, so I'm also as safe as I can be, 
> but I derive a lot of my hobby fun by using the real hardware.
>
> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>
> On 8/28/2013 5:00 PM, Eric wrote:
>>
>> I reasoned the same thing as you; our electronic equipment was 
>> manufactured thirty (30) years ago in the case of the TI-99/4A 
>> consoles & cards and around twenty-five (25) years ago for the third 
>> party electronics. I don't think many of those devices were designed 
>> to function for much longer than a quarter century.
>>
>> That is why I too switched over to using both Classic99 & Win994a on 
>> a 8GB SD Card. That way I am sure that my collection of TI-99/4A and 
>> third party equipment won't have to a chance to suffer from resistor, 
>> capacitor, diode, and chip failure that "Murphy's Law" saws 
>> eventually will happen!
>>
>> Why constantly invite a headache almost every time the older 
>> electronic equipment has current applied to it?
>>
>> --- In [email-masked] <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>, 
>> richgilbertson@... wrote:
>> >
>> > I had to opt out and go Classic99 full on emulations as keeping up 
>> the hardware was becoming impossible on my retirement money.
>> >
>> >
>> > Besides I can make Youtube videos much easier on a PC or Mac as I 
>> have no video camera.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Rich
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > ----- Original Message -----
>> > From: "Bill R Sullivan" <br911sullivan@...>
>> > To: [email-masked] <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>
>> > Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:24:44 PM
>> > Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Re: PEB woes?
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > The reason I retired the bad PEB is that I thought I had it fixed, 
>> and was in the process of testing it before reassembling it, when I 
>> got a phone call from a lady friend to tell me she was coming back to 
>> this area for a visit, and asked if it would be convenient for us to 
>> meet during her time here. Apparently I was distracted enough that I 
>> didn't test everything according to plan. Powering up the PEB popped 
>> several circuit breakers, but the slow-blow fuse in the PEB wasn't 
>> fast enough to save my SAMS card, but that does seem to be the extent 
>> of the damage done, as most all the other cards seem to be 
>> functioning well. More testing to do in order to be sure.
>> >
>> > This means I will have to resurrect the mid-tower PC case project 
>> to house the SNUG-TI system if I'm unable to repair this PEB as more 
>> damage to it is probable. If I have to salvage it I will move the 
>> muffin fan from it to the good, but loud PEB now in daily use before 
>> it drives me mad. If I'm not already insane, that is. :-D
>> >
>> > TIB+ is working well, so I can continue with that development as 
>> the spare SAMS is working. as well as the 3MB HRD-16 (user CALLS are 
>> fine), and the HSGPL as well, but IDE and SCSI are not working, yet, 
>> and I only have one slot left for RS-232 or TI Speech. Depends on 
>> which one I get fixed first; the RAVE99 adapter if Radio Shack has 
>> the 7905 & 15 ohm 1 watt resistor (I can make do with parallel 1/2 
>> watt 30 ohm resistors as there is room enough). I have another TI 
>> RS-232 card from my time in Poland that I need to restore the 7805 & 
>> 7812 for normal TI power use. The Myarc 80 track FDC is having a 
>> problem with the 3.5" DSDD 80 track drive (DSK2.) The FDC, drive and 
>> cables were moved to this PEB from the bad one, so I don't know why, 
>> yet.
>> >
>> > I will report further progress periodically.
>> >
>> > Bill
>> >
>> >
>> > On 8/28/2013 8:56 AM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > James,
>> >
>> > For the time being I have retired the bad PEB, and installed my 
>> more useful TI system cards in the SNUG-TI PEB. I say more useful 
>> only because I don't have a monitor to support the SNUG-TI or Geneve 
>> 9938 VDP right now, but I'm working on that also.
>> >
>> > I still have a few problems with this new arrangement to cure, but 
>> they seem to be minor issues that I will attend to one by one. and 
>> based on availabe spare cards/parts or alternative solutions. I will 
>> report progress to all on-line periodically.
>> >
>> >
>> > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>> >
>> > On 8/27/2013 7:40 AM, Postle wrote:
>> >
>> > <blockquote>
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Bill,
>> >
>> > Many years ago I had a bad PEB System. Almost, if not every card in 
>> the box was bad. I had to run tests on the cards and replace them one 
>> at a time with good cards. Working on a limited budget, it was one 
>> card a month. This PEB has worked without fail until last week.
>> >
>> > I now have a PEB System that does not recognize "LOAD" in Extended 
>> Basic. I have no clue as to why DSK1. is not being sought?
>> >
>> > I will work on that problem today.
>> >
>> > You need to start fresh with the PEB Cards.
>> >
>> > As I said the other day. It is always nice to have a second 
>> functional TI-99/4A, For whatever reason. Mine was to run Lottery 
>> Numbers.
>> >
>> > And... There are those days when nothing seems to fit or work.
>> >
>> > If you have time... put a connector blocks inside the PEB and set 
>> wires with multimeter test points in the back so as you can check the 
>> voltage without opening the PEB every time. Use a tapewriter to 
>> lablel the actual tested voltage and also what it is to represent. 
>> This is a pretty simple task. And... You will be having the PEB open 
>> anyway. The test points will also work with an oscilloscope to check 
>> wave form.
>> >
>> > If you are going to have a test box... You might as well have a 
>> real test PE Box.
>> >
>> > NOTE:
>> > Use a "C" Clamp and a piece of would. That way, when you drill, 
>> your holes will be nice and round.
>> >
>> > And... When the fuse in the transformer blows. Mount a Fuse Holder 
>> on the back of the PEB as well. That way if the fuse blows again it 
>> can be changed without lifting the PEB cover.
>> >
>> > We have had thunder storms... Only God knows what happens when the 
>> lightning stikes near or on a power line.
>> >
>> > It seems like you will be at this repair thing for awhile.
>> >
>> > And... If needed, our friend Kyle does have most of the TI Test 
>> Disks. I would imagine you already do have the Test Disks as well.
>> >
>> > Bill, I can feel your pain.
>> >
>> > Respectfully,
>> >
>> > Postle
>> >
>> > --- In [email-masked] <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com> , 
>> Insane Multitasker <insane_m@> wrote:
>> > >
>> > > Hi Bill,
>> > >
>> > > Wow, that seems awfully high! That sounds closer to the -12v line 
>> voltage than the -5v line voltage!
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Nicely done, Jeff!
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > To: [email-masked] <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>
>> > > From: br911sullivan@
>> > > Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:43:06 -0700
>> > > Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Re: PEB woes?
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Hi Tim,
>> > >
>> > > Yes, it's good to finally be back. See the post I just sent as 
>> Jeff got me on the right path. That PEB is taking out any cards that 
>> use the unregulated -18 volts for input to a -5VDC regulator. In this 
>> case the RAVE99 TI Speech adapter and RS-232 cards. I lost two RAVE99 
>> adapters and one RS-232 card so far.
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>> > >
>> > > On 8/26/2013 8:44 PM, Insane Multitasker wrote:
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Bill,
>> > > If you have a multimeter handy test for a short on one or more 
>> cards. You can do this by checking the resistance between ground and 
>> the input (then output) legs of each regulator. <5 ohms would be a 
>> pretty good indicator of a short.
>> > >
>> > > Also If memory serves correctly, one of the LS244 buffer chips 
>> has an INT line that when blown will hang the system. It usually 
>> manifests itself in the RS232 cards as they use the interrupt line in 
>> the PEB. The short can be caused by rocking a card within the PEB 
>> though it is not the only possible culprit.
>> > >
>> > > It is not clear from your message below if you tested a spare TI 
>> with a spare flex cable. I would be careful about testing all your 
>> cards with varying equipment at least until you rule out a short.
>> > >
>> > > Good luck tracking this one down :)
>> > >
>> > > Tim
>> > >
>> > > PS - good to see you back
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > To: [email-masked] <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>
>> > > From: br911sullivan@
>> > > Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:14:56 -0700
>> > > Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Re: PEB woes?
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Eric,
>> > >
>> > > I tried 3 different cables, and they all failed in the same exact 
>> way. Yes, I know about the circuitry at both ends of the TI Flex 
>> Cable Interface.
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>> > >
>> > > On 8/26/2013 6:36 PM, Eric wrote:
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Bill;
>> > >
>> > > Have you checked the Interface Card & the hidden Circuit Card 
>> inside the end of the 'elephant' cable that connects to the Interface 
>> Card?
>> > >
>> > > those items rarely fail, however when they do they are very 
>> difficult to troubleshoot!
>> > >
>> > > Eric
>> > >
>> > > --- In [email-masked] <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com> 
>> , "Sullivan, BR" <br911sullivan@> wrote:
>> > > >
>> > > > Help! After testing all the voltage outputs of the PEB that seemed
>> > > > to eat RAVE 99 TI Speech adapter cards, and then putting it back
>> > > > together it failed with a very loud squeal and a green & black 
>> F18A logo
>> > > > screen. I started the isolation process by removing one card at a
>> > > > time. It turned out to be the least likely card, a Myarc RS-232 
>> card
>> > > > that I removed from the SNUG-TI, which was working well before 
>> this
>> > > > recent move, and installed in this PEB yesterday.
>> > > >
>> > > > Now that the squeal is gone and the F18A is showing an excellent
>> > > > rendering of the TI title screen it appears that the TI console 
>> is not
>> > > > talking to the PEB. The ED/ASM module says there is no expansion
>> > > > memory, so I removed the SAMS card and put in a standard 32K 
>> card. I
>> > > > still get the same results--no memory expansion, so I tried 
>> some "CALLS"
>> > > > from TI Basic to the Myarc 80 track FDC and get "Bad name", the 
>> same
>> > > > results for the HSGPL card. So now I think it's the TI console 
>> or the
>> > > > Flex Cable Interface. I have spare TI consoles in my closet, 
>> and at the
>> > > > CF7A+/NanoPEB station, so I try rhese first as of this morning 
>> I had not
>> > > > found the two spare interface cables I know are in the garage some
>> > > > where. Once I proved the same test results for these other TI 
>> consoles
>> > > > I go to the garage, guess what box to start looking in 
>> first--good guess
>> > > > as I find both cables, but I still get all the same test 
>> results with
>> > > > all interface cables.
>> > > >
>> > > > I'm at a loss as when I first started testing this TI-99/4A and 
>> PEB a
>> > > > week ago it was working well. The only problem to begin with 
>> was a lack
>> > > > of speech, so I swapped out the RAVE 99 TI Speech adapter with 
>> another
>> > > > including a different TI Speech Synthesizer also, and it failed
>> > > > immediately. I inspected both and found, in both cases, that a 
>> 15 ohm 1
>> > > > watt resistor was blown near the 7905 regulator which I guessed 
>> must
>> > > > also be fried. Fortunately both TI Speech Synthesizers still 
>> work as
>> > > > sidecars. Next the user defined "CALLS" in the 3MB HRD-16 card 
>> stopped
>> > > > working. Later some other "CALLS" would also become flaky. I 
>> thought I
>> > > > had found a pattern in one of the flaky "CALLS", but it turned 
>> out to
>> > > > not be the case. Next an HSGPL CALL also becomes flaky, so I start
>> > > > thinking that the damaged RAVE99 cards may have also damaged 
>> the PEB
>> > > > power supply in some way. That's when I completely disassembled 
>> the PEB
>> > > > and tested all the output voltages. All to no avail. So now I'm
>> > > > looking for new clear-headed ideas from anyone knowledgeable.
>> > > >
>> > > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>> > > >
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > </blockquote>
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > No virus found in this message.
>> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
>> > Version: 2013.0.3392 / Virus Database: 3211/6615 - Release Date: 
>> 08/28/13
>> >
>>
>> 
>

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 16:25:51 -0700

Hi all,

Some good news to report as you may have noticed in my chats with Greg 
McGill my hard drive issue with the working PEB (SCSI & IDE) is some 
what alleviated with a successful RS-232 connection to my TI support PC 
peripheral running  more wonderful application software from that Wiz 
across the pond Fred Kaal known as HDX this time.  I did use it before 
for just a short time back in Golden Shores with my now missing 
CF7A+/NanoPEB, but never discovered the secret of accessing the local 
USB printer.

For a while the other day I thought I had 4 bad RS-232 cards, as for 
some reason or another not even the good ones will work in one 
particular PEB slot.  I got busy preparing another TI-99/4A console for 
a new NanoPEB2 that will be on it's way shortly, so I now have two F18A 
powered TI consoles, thus allowing me to use both systems without 
further eye strain.  I will get back to running down the RS-232 issue 
with that one PEB slot.  Soon I hope, but my grandson, Kyle the Marine, 
is home visiting right now.  He's spending time with old hometown 
buddies at the moment, so I'm continuing to enjoy hobby fun while I 
can.  Talk to you later.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 8/28/2013 8:30 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
> drive, the SyQuest EZFlyer 230MB drive and the SyQuest EZ135MB drive.  
> I can see the SCSI CD-ROM drive, but I have to find the software on a 
> SCSI cartridge somewhere before I can test it.  I do have CD-ROM discs 
> for it. I also have many cartridges for the EZFlyer230MB & EZ135MB 
> drives besides those currently mounted.  Nice to even see the backups 
> I made just before departing Poland late 1997.
>
>>> third party equipment won't have to a chance to suffer from 
>>> resistor, capacitor, diode, and chip failure that "Murphy's Law" 
>>> saws eventually will happen!
>>>
>>> got a phone call from a lady friend to tell me she was coming back 
>>> to this area for a visit, and asked if it would be convenient for us 
>>> to meet during her time here. Apparently I was distracted enough 
>>> that I didn't test everything according to plan. Powering up the PEB 
>>> popped several circuit breakers, but the slow-blow fuse in the PEB 
>>> wasn't fast enough to save my SAMS card, but that does seem to be 
>>> the extent of the damage done, as most all the other cards seem to 
>>> be functioning well. More testing to do in order to be sure.
>>> >
>>> > Many years ago I had a bad PEB System. Almost, if not every card 
>>> in the box was bad. I had to run tests on the cards and replace them 
>>> one at a time with good cards. Working on a limited budget, it was 
>>> one card a month. This PEB has worked without fail until last week.
>>> >
>>> wires with multimeter test points in the back so as you can check 
>>> the voltage without opening the PEB every time. Use a tapewriter to 
>>> , Insane Multitasker <insane_m@> wrote:
>>> > >
>>> > > Hi Bill,
>>> > >
>>> > > Wow, that seems awfully high! That sounds closer to the -12v 
>>> line voltage than the -5v line voltage!
>>> > >
>>> > >
>>> > >
>>> > > Nicely done, Jeff!
>>> > >
>>> > >
>>> > >
>>> > >
>>> > >
>>> > >
>>> use the unregulated -18 volts for input to a -5VDC regulator. In 
>>> this case the RAVE99 TI Speech adapter and RS-232 cards. I lost two 
>>> RAVE99 adapters and one RS-232 card so far.
>>> > >
>>> > >
>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>> > >
>>> manifests itself in the RS232 cards as they use the interrupt line 
>>> in the PEB. The short can be caused by rocking a card within the PEB 
>>> > > I tried 3 different cables, and they all failed in the same 
>>> exact way. Yes, I know about the circuitry at both ends of the TI 
>>> Flex Cable Interface.
>>> > >
>>> > >
>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>> > >
>>> inside the end of the 'elephant' cable that connects to the 
>>> Interface Card?
>>> > >
>>> > > --- In [email-masked] 
>>> <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com> , "Sullivan, BR" <br911sullivan@> 
>>> wrote:
>>> > > >
>>> > > > time. It turned out to be the least likely card, a Myarc 
>>> RS-232 card
>>> > > > rendering of the TI title screen it appears that the TI 
>>> console is not
>>> > > > from TI Basic to the Myarc 80 track FDC and get "Bad name", 
>>> the same
>>> > > > I'm at a loss as when I first started testing this TI-99/4A 
>>> and PEB a
>>> > > > watt resistor was blown near the 7905 regulator which I 
>>> guessed must
>>> > > > power supply in some way. That's when I completely 
>>> disassembled the PEB

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:53:06 -0700

The last few days have been costly as I screwed up using DISKU as I 
couldn't find the documentation until after the disaster.  The diskette 
seems to have been marred for life, but I have some other recovery 
methods to try.  The big loss was my 3MB HRD-16 being wiped out, and so 
far I have not been able to restore the individual RAM "drives" to 
working order with CFG. They seem to be OK, at first, until I try to 
copy files to it or save a BASIC program to it which causes that 
particular RAM "drive" to disappear, and one by one I can make everyone 
of them disappear in like manner.

Yesterday I was sure I lost a couple of 720K real 3.5" DSDD 80 track 
diskettes (never previously used), but this morning I'm sure I have 
another 3.5" floppy drive starting to fail.  As you may recall I 
replaced this drive DSK2 right after the PEB failed, so now faced with 
another one about to fail totally.  The only apparent possible cause is 
that the 5VDC measures 6 volts, if my Radio Shack analog read-out 
multi-meter is to be trusted.  Which reminds me that I thought I lost 
the only floppy drive in my TI support PC also, but I swapped it out 
twice without success.  I may be suffering from all this medication I'm 
taking more than I thought.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Just 
choose the poison you wish to respond to wisely.  This means please be 
kind if I've missed the obvious.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 9/7/2013 4:25 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
> what alleviated with a successful RS-232 connection to my TI support 
> PC peripheral running  more wonderful application software from that 
> Wiz across the pond Fred Kaal known as HDX this time.  I did use it 
> before for just a short time back in Golden Shores with my now missing 
> particular PEB slot.  I got busy preparing another TI-99/4A console 
> for a new NanoPEB2 that will be on it's way shortly, so I now have two 
> F18A powered TI consoles, thus allowing me to use both systems without 
> with that one PEB slot.  Soon I hope, but my grandson, Kyle the 
> Marine, is home visiting right now.  He's spending time with old 
> hometown buddies at the moment, so I'm continuing to enjoy hobby fun 
> while I can.  Talk to you later.
>
> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>
>> drive, the SyQuest EZFlyer 230MB drive and the SyQuest EZ135MB 
>> drive.  I can see the SCSI CD-ROM drive, but I have to find the 
>> software on a SCSI cartridge somewhere before I can test it.  I do 
>> have CD-ROM discs for it.  I also have many cartridges for the 
>> EZFlyer230MB & EZ135MB drives besides those currently mounted.  Nice 
>> to even see the backups I made just before departing Poland late 1997.
>>
>>>> consoles & cards and around twenty-five (25) years ago for the 
>>>> third party electronics. I don't think many of those devices were 
>>>> designed to function for much longer than a quarter century.
>>>>
>>>> That is why I too switched over to using both Classic99 & Win994a 
>>>> on a 8GB SD Card. That way I am sure that my collection of TI-99/4A 
>>>> and third party equipment won't have to a chance to suffer from 
>>>> > I had to opt out and go Classic99 full on emulations as keeping 
>>>> up the hardware was becoming impossible on my retirement money.
>>>> >
>>>> >
>>>> > The reason I retired the bad PEB is that I thought I had it 
>>>> fixed, and was in the process of testing it before reassembling it, 
>>>> when I got a phone call from a lady friend to tell me she was 
>>>> coming back to this area for a visit, and asked if it would be 
>>>> convenient for us to meet during her time here. Apparently I was 
>>>> distracted enough that I didn't test everything according to plan. 
>>>> Powering up the PEB popped several circuit breakers, but the 
>>>> slow-blow fuse in the PEB wasn't fast enough to save my SAMS card, 
>>>> but that does seem to be the extent of the damage done, as most all 
>>>> the other cards seem to be functioning well. More testing to do in 
>>>> order to be sure.
>>>> >
>>>> to house the SNUG-TI system if I'm unable to repair this PEB as 
>>>> more damage to it is probable. If I have to salvage it I will move 
>>>> the muffin fan from it to the good, but loud PEB now in daily use 
>>>> before it drives me mad. If I'm not already insane, that is. :-D
>>>> >
>>>> the spare SAMS is working. as well as the 3MB HRD-16 (user CALLS 
>>>> are fine), and the HSGPL as well, but IDE and SCSI are not working, 
>>>> yet, and I only have one slot left for RS-232 or TI Speech. Depends 
>>>> on which one I get fixed first; the RAVE99 adapter if Radio Shack 
>>>> has the 7905 & 15 ohm 1 watt resistor (I can make do with parallel 
>>>> 1/2 watt 30 ohm resistors as there is room enough). I have another 
>>>> TI RS-232 card from my time in Poland that I need to restore the 
>>>> 7805 & 7812 for normal TI power use. The Myarc 80 track FDC is 
>>>> having a problem with the 3.5" DSDD 80 track drive (DSK2.) The FDC, 
>>>> drive and cables were moved to this PEB from the bad one, so I 
>>>> don't know why, yet.
>>>> >
>>>> only because I don't have a monitor to support the SNUG-TI or 
>>>> Geneve 9938 VDP right now, but I'm working on that also.
>>>> >
>>>> > I still have a few problems with this new arrangement to cure, 
>>>> but they seem to be minor issues that I will attend to one by one. 
>>>> and based on availabe spare cards/parts or alternative solutions. I 
>>>> will report progress to all on-line periodically.
>>>> >
>>>> >
>>>> > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>> >
>>>> in the box was bad. I had to run tests on the cards and replace 
>>>> them one at a time with good cards. Working on a limited budget, it 
>>>> was one card a month. This PEB has worked without fail until last 
>>>> week.
>>>> >
>>>> > I now have a PEB System that does not recognize "LOAD" in 
>>>> Extended Basic. I have no clue as to why DSK1. is not being sought?
>>>> >
>>>> This is a pretty simple task. And... You will be having the PEB 
>>>> open anyway. The test points will also work with an oscilloscope to 
>>>> check wave form.
>>>> >
>>>> > And... When the fuse in the transformer blows. Mount a Fuse 
>>>> Holder on the back of the PEB as well. That way if the fuse blows 
>>>> again it can be changed without lifting the PEB cover.
>>>> >
>>>> > We have had thunder storms... Only God knows what happens when 
>>>> the lightning stikes near or on a power line.
>>>> >
>>>> Jeff got me on the right path. That PEB is taking out any cards 
>>>> that use the unregulated -18 volts for input to a -5VDC regulator. 
>>>> In this case the RAVE99 TI Speech adapter and RS-232 cards. I lost 
>>>> two RAVE99 adapters and one RS-232 card so far.
>>>> > >
>>>> > >
>>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>> > >
>>>> cards. You can do this by checking the resistance between ground 
>>>> and the input (then output) legs of each regulator. <5 ohms would 
>>>> be a pretty good indicator of a short.
>>>> > >
>>>> in the PEB. The short can be caused by rocking a card within the 
>>>> PEB though it is not the only possible culprit.
>>>> > >
>>>> > > It is not clear from your message below if you tested a spare 
>>>> TI with a spare flex cable. I would be careful about testing all 
>>>> your cards with varying equipment at least until you rule out a short.
>>>> > >
>>>> <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com> , "Sullivan, BR" 
>>>> <br911sullivan@> wrote:
>>>> > > >
>>>> > > > together it failed with a very loud squeal and a green & 
>>>> black F18A logo
>>>> > > > that I removed from the SNUG-TI, which was working well 
>>>> before this
>>>> > > > results for the HSGPL card. So now I think it's the TI 
>>>> console or the
>>>> > > > CF7A+/NanoPEB station, so I try rhese first as of this 
>>>> morning I had not
>>>> > > > of speech, so I swapped out the RAVE 99 TI Speech adapter 
>>>> with another
>>>> > > > immediately. I inspected both and found, in both cases, that 
>>>> a 15 ohm 1
>>>> > > > sidecars. Next the user defined "CALLS" in the 3MB HRD-16 
>>>> card stopped
>>>> > > > had found a pattern in one of the flaky "CALLS", but it 
>>>> turned out to

---

From: Jeff White <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 19:36:23 -0400

Sure you know this, but on the slight chance you do not recall:

With analog multimeter set to resistance, touch the leads and adjust to zero Ohms.

With analog multimeter set to voltage, touch the leads and adjust to zero Volts.

Leastways that is what I recall.

You might need fresh batteries.  I think my analog meter takes a 9V and C cell.

Jeff White

On 10 Sep 2013, at 12:53, Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Yesterday I was sure I lost a couple of 720K real 3.5" DSDD 80 track diskettes (never previously used), but this morning I'm sure I have another 3.5" floppy drive starting to fail.  As you may recall I replaced this drive DSK2 right after the PEB failed, so now faced with another one about to fail totally.  The only apparent possible cause is that the 5VDC measures 6 volts, if my Radio Shack analog read-out multi-meter is to be trusted.  Which reminds me that I thought I lost the only floppy drive in my TI support PC also, but I swapped it out twice without success.  I       may be suffering from all this medication I'm taking more than I thought.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Just choose the poison you wish to respond to wisely.  This means please be kind if I've missed the obvious.
> 
> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>