Subject: CF card help?

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 17:43:24 -0400

dsk2cf gives me a message "Access is denied"

Any thoughts?

---

From: Gregory McGill <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 15:19:00 -0700

try running as administrator..  right click the icon and there should be a
selection to run as administrator

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>wrote:

> **

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 18:34:33 -0400

> selection to run as administrator

Icon? I'm running from the c:\ prompt.

AND, a different CF card works fine. I've seen that there are a gazillion
attributes to these things, is there software to edit said attributes?

---

From: Gregory McGill <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 17:27:39 -0700

Sorry assumed you were windowsing :)

if a different card works fine, it's likely that card is write protected,
some have a switch.. or it's bad

Greg

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>wrote:

>> try running as administrator..  right click the icon and there should be
>> a selection to run as administrator
>>
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Barry Peterson <[email-masked]
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> **
>>>
>>>

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 09:42:13 -0400

> Sorry assumed you were windowsing :)

Windows command prompt

> There are no physical switches, I hope there's a software switch and a way
to reset it.

It's to be connected to a CF7+ (or trashed)

It does seem to work fine when connected to a PC, though.

---

From: "Stuart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 21:59:10 -0000

Try formatting volume 0 on the CF7 [CALL FORMAT(0)] to overwrite any PC partition information, then try dsk2cf again.

---

From: "kevan064" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:07:25 -0000

Curious?  Can you run TI99Dir?  If so, what does it do?

> --- In [email-masked], Barry Peterson <barry.peterson@> wrote:

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 21:34:33 -0400

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Stuart <[email-masked]> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Try formatting volume 0 on the CF7 [CALL FORMAT(0)] to overwrite any PC
> partition information, then try dsk2cf again.
>

 I've run format(0) on the three cards with problems and a fourth that had
no problems. When I type the command, the yellow led comes on and stays on
and the only way I can get control of the computer is to turn it off.

One card seems fixed now, one is definitely not fixed and one might be
fixed but I don't trust it.

The thing that puzzles me is that format(0) on the previously good card had
no effect. The vol1 files are still there, I didn't need to reload,
reformat or anything else.

---

From: "kevan064" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 01:58:28 -0000

You know, I do not pretend to know what in the heck is going on, but when my CF card started acting funky I used TI99Dir to re-write my volumes and then everything worked again.  I have no clue as to why, but it could not hurt to try.  What do you have to lose? 

Good luck!

--- In [email-masked], Barry Peterson <barry.peterson@...> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Stuart <ti99@...> wrote:
> 
> > **
> >
> >

---

From: Jeff White <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 21:59:59 -0400

Are the CF cards all the same model?  Size?

If they are the same model, you should be able to use imaging software to copy the good one to a file, then copy that image file to the others.

Jeff White

On 22 Jul 2013, at 21:34, Barry Peterson <[email-masked]> wrote: 
>  I've run format(0) on the three cards with problems and a fourth that had no problems. When I type the command, the yellow led comes on and stays on and the only way I can get control of the computer is to turn it off.
>  
> One card seems fixed now, one is definitely not fixed and one might be fixed but I don't trust it.
>  
> The thing that puzzles me is that format(0) on the previously good card had no effect. The vol1 files are still there, I didn't need to reload, reformat or anything else.
>

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 08:34:51 -0400

> Are the CF cards all the same model?  Size?

I've been trying to find some pattern with no luck. I have several brands
and sizes.

> If they are the same model, you should be able to use imaging software to
> copy the good one to a file, then copy that image file to the others.
>

 The ones I have that are the same work fine with Windows, a few won't work
with the TI.

BUT: I have a couple of Lexar cards, one 64MB, the other 1GB. I can use
TI99dir and dsk2cf to copy .DSK files to them, but the TI won't recognize
them. DM2K says they're not formatted, and will go to the process and looks
like it's formatting but no luck. The files are still there but the TI
can't read or write.

---

From: Jeff White <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:18:15 -0400

On 24 Jul 2013, at 08:34, Barry Peterson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I've been trying to find some pattern with no luck. I have several brands and sizes.
>   
>  The ones I have that are the same work fine with Windows, a few won't work with the TI.
>  
> BUT: I have a couple of Lexar cards, one 64MB, the other 1GB. I can use TI99dir and dsk2cf to copy .DSK files to them, but the TI won't recognize them. DM2K says they're not formatted, and will go to the process and looks like it's formatting but no luck. The files are still there but the TI can't read or write.

I was unclear.  I meant to suggest using Windows-based software to make an entire CF image of a card that works with the TI, then copy with that imaging software to another CF.  This should work if the cards are the same model.  Might work if they are not.

TI99dir and dsk2cf are only in the process to create the working card.  Then a Windows CF copy utility is used.

It is possible the non-working cards are formatted CHS (cylinder, head, sector) rather than the LBA (logical block addressing) that I think is needed for cf7+ and nanoPEB.  Windows can handle both.  

Since your cards are under 8GB, they may just be configured as CHS.  Have you checked?

Jeff White

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:36:20 -0400

> I was unclear.  I meant to suggest using Windows-based software to make an
> entire CF image of a card that works with the TI, then copy with that
> imaging software to another CF.  This should work if the cards are the same
> model.  Might work if they are not.
>
> It is possible the non-working cards are formatted CHS (cylinder, head,
> sector) rather than the LBA (logical block addressing) that I think is
> needed for cf7+ and nanoPEB.  Windows can handle both.
>

Thanks for the input, I will check and conduct more research. Here is some
more info:

I have several Samsung 8MB cards which all work fine. (BUT, there is a 2 or
3 second delay after the TI title screen. Not a problem.)

I have one 4GB XceedCF Industrial Grade Compact Flash which the TI system
won't accept. High-pitched tone and nothing on the screen.

A 64MB XD-picture card in a CF adapter works fine, but a minor bug on the
CF Info/Geometry screen (prints garbage) and the Volume list screen when I
page down to list volumes 60-80 the system locks up.

I have a 64MB Lexar, a 1GB Lexar, and a 128MB Transcend with the same
symptoms. The TI doesn't seem to read them and formatting goes through the
motions but doesn't really format. DM2 module goes through the motions but
no effect on the cards.

Again, every card works fine in Windows. I can save files, read files,
works fine. Also most work fine in a camera. (The 4GB seems just too big
for my poor old Civil War camera)

---

From: Jeff White <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:49:04 -0400

Barry,

You might try the utilities found here:

http://vampiric.us/index.php/articles/hardware/cf/cftools

Jeff White

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 11:27:54 -0400

> You might try the utilities found here:

Thanks. I've downloaded them all but have to get them to another (older)
computer.

I'll return and report.