Subject: Re: [TI994A] Re: [TI-99/4A] PEB status report (changed from PEB woes?)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 00:42:44 -0500 (CDT)

Bill, does your HRD16 have a jumper for the battery circuit? You may need to disconnect battery power for 30 seconds to uncorrupt the memory chips and then start over with loading the CorComp ROS or the MYARC ROS. CorComp ROS is the default ROS for SNUG HRD16..

On 09/10/13, Bill R Sullivan<[email-masked]> wrote:

The last few days have been costly as I screwed up using DISKU as I couldn't find the documentation until after the disaster.  The diskette seems to have been marred for life, but I have some other recovery methods to try.  The big loss was my 3MB HRD-16 being wiped out, and so far I have not been able to restore the individual RAM "drives" to working order with CFG.  They seem to be OK, at first, until I try to copy files to it or save a BASIC program to it which causes that particular RAM "drive" to disappear, and one by one I can make everyone of them disappear in like manner.

Yesterday I was sure I lost a couple of 720K real 3.5" DSDD 80 track diskettes (never previously used), but this morning I'm sure I have another 3.5" floppy drive starting to fail.  As you may recall I replaced this drive DSK2 right after the PEB failed, so now faced with another one about to fail totally.  The only apparent possible cause is that the 5VDC measures 6 volts, if my Radio Shack analog read-out multi-meter is to be trusted.  Which reminds me that I thought I lost the only floppy drive in my TI support PC also, but I swapped it out twice without success.  I may be suffering from all this medication I'm taking more than I thought.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Just choose the poison you wish to respond to wisely.  This means please be kind if I've missed the obvious.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 9/7/2013 4:25 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:

Hi all,

Some good news to report as you may have noticed in my chats with Greg McGill my hard drive issue with the working PEB (SCSI & IDE) is some what alleviated with a successful RS-232 connection to my TI support PC peripheral running  more wonderful application software from that Wiz across the pond Fred Kaal known as HDX this time.  I did use it before for just a short time back in Golden Shores with my now missing CF7A+/NanoPEB, but never discovered the secret of accessing the local USB printer.

For a while the other day I thought I had 4 bad RS-232 cards, as for some reason or another not even the good ones will work in one particular PEB slot.  I got busy preparing another TI-99/4A console for a new NanoPEB2 that will be on it's way shortly, so I now have two F18A powered TI consoles, thus allowing me to use both systems without further eye strain.  I will get back to running down the RS-232 issue with that one PEB slot.  Soon I hope, but my grandson, Kyle the Marine, is home visiting right now.  He's spending time with old hometown buddies at the moment, so I'm continuing to enjoy hobby fun while I can.  Talk to you later.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 8/28/2013 8:30 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:

Good news!  SCSI now working well.  I can access the Solid State SCSI drive, the SyQuest EZFlyer 230MB drive and the SyQuest EZ135MB drive.  I can see the SCSI CD-ROM drive, but I have to find the software on a SCSI cartridge somewhere before I can test it.  I do have CD-ROM discs for it.  I also have many cartridges for the EZFlyer230MB & EZ135MB drives besides those currently mounted.  Nice to even see the backups I made just before departing Poland late 1997.

Having hobby fun again--life is sweet.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 8/28/2013 5:58 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:

Eric,

I have as much of my TI/Geneve software in emulation files (mostly V9T9) as I could legitimately copy, so I'm also as safe as I can be, but I derive a lot of my hobby fun by using the real hardware.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 8/28/2013 5:00 PM, Eric wrote:

I reasoned the same thing as you; our electronic equipment was manufactured thirty (30) years ago in the case of the TI-99/4A consoles & cards and around twenty-five (25) years ago for the third party electronics. I don't think many of those devices were designed to function for much longer than a quarter century.

That is why I too switched over to using both Classic99 & Win994a on a 8GB SD Card. That way I am sure that my collection of TI-99/4A and third party equipment won't have to a chance to suffer from resistor, capacitor, diode, and chip failure that "Murphy's Law" saws eventually will happen!

Why constantly invite a headache almost every time the older electronic equipment has current applied to it?

--- In [email-masked], richgilbertson@... wrote:
>
> I had to opt out and go Classic99 full on emulations as keeping up the hardware was becoming impossible on my retirement money.
>
>
> Besides I can make Youtube videos much easier on a PC or Mac as I have no video camera.
>
>
>
> Rich
>
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Bill R Sullivan" <br911sullivan@...>
> To: [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:24:44 PM
> Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Re: PEB woes?
>
>
>
>
>
>
> The reason I retired the bad PEB is that I thought I had it fixed, and was in the process of testing it before reassembling it, when I got a phone call from a lady friend to tell me she was coming back to this area for a visit, and asked if it would be convenient for us to meet during her time here. Apparently I was distracted enough that I didn't test everything according to plan. Powering up the PEB popped several circuit breakers, but the slow-blow fuse in the PEB wasn't fast enough to save my SAMS card, but that does seem to be the extent of the damage done, as most all the other cards seem to be functioning well. More testing to do in order to be sure.
>
> This means I will have to resurrect the mid-tower PC case project to house the SNUG-TI system if I'm unable to repair this PEB as more damage to it is probable. If I have to salvage it I will move the muffin fan from it to the good, but loud PEB now in daily use before it drives me mad. If I'm not already insane, that is. :-D
>
> TIB+ is working well, so I can continue with that development as the spare SAMS is working. as well as the 3MB HRD-16 (user CALLS are fine), and the HSGPL as well, but IDE and SCSI are not working, yet, and I only have one slot left for RS-232 or TI Speech. Depends on which one I get fixed first; the RAVE99 adapter if Radio Shack has the 7905 & 15 ohm 1 watt resistor (I can make do with parallel 1/2 watt 30 ohm resistors as there is room enough). I have another TI RS-232 card from my time in Poland that I need to restore the 7805 & 7812 for normal TI power use. The Myarc 80 track FDC is having a problem with the 3.5" DSDD 80 track drive (DSK2.) The FDC, drive and cables were moved to this PEB from the bad one, so I don't know why, yet.
>
> I will report further progress periodically.
>
> Bill
>
>
> On 8/28/2013 8:56 AM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
>
>
>
> James,
>
> For the time being I have retired the bad PEB, and installed my more useful TI system cards in the SNUG-TI PEB. I say more useful only because I don't have a monitor to support the SNUG-TI or Geneve 9938 VDP right now, but I'm working on that also.
>
> I still have a few problems with this new arrangement to cure, but they seem to be minor issues that I will attend to one by one. and based on availabe spare cards/parts or alternative solutions. I will report progress to all on-line periodically.
>
>
> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>
> On 8/27/2013 7:40 AM, Postle wrote:
>
> <blockquote>
>
>
>
>
>
> Bill,
>
> Many years ago I had a bad PEB System. Almost, if not every card in the box was bad. I had to run tests on the cards and replace them one at a time with good cards. Working on a limited budget, it was one card a month. This PEB has worked without fail until last week.
>
> I now have a PEB System that does not recognize "LOAD" in Extended Basic. I have no clue as to why DSK1. is not being sought?
>
> I will work on that problem today.
>
> You need to start fresh with the PEB Cards.
>
> As I said the other day. It is always nice to have a second functional TI-99/4A, For whatever reason. Mine was to run Lottery Numbers.
>
> And... There are those days when nothing seems to fit or work.
>
> If you have time... put a connector blocks inside the PEB and set wires with multimeter test points in the back so as you can check the voltage without opening the PEB every time. Use a tapewriter to lablel the actual tested voltage and also what it is to represent. This is a pretty simple task. And... You will be having the PEB open anyway. The test points will also work with an oscilloscope to check wave form.
>
> If you are going to have a test box... You might as well have a real test PE Box.
>
> NOTE:
> Use a "C" Clamp and a piece of would. That way, when you drill, your holes will be nice and round.
>
> And... When the fuse in the transformer blows. Mount a Fuse Holder on the back of the PEB as well. That way if the fuse blows again it can be changed without lifting the PEB cover.
>
> We have had thunder storms... Only God knows what happens when the lightning stikes near or on a power line.
>
> It seems like you will be at this repair thing for awhile.
>
> And... If needed, our friend Kyle does have most of the TI Test Disks. I would imagine you already do have the Test Disks as well.
>
> Bill, I can feel your pain.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Postle
>
> --- In [email-masked] , Insane Multitasker <insane_m@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > Wow, that seems awfully high! That sounds closer to the -12v line voltage than the -5v line voltage!
> >
> >
> >
> > Nicely done, Jeff!
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > To: [email-masked]
> > From: br911sullivan@
> > Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:43:06 -0700
> > Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Re: PEB woes?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > Yes, it's good to finally be back. See the post I just sent as Jeff got me on the right path. That PEB is taking out any cards that use the unregulated -18 volts for input to a -5VDC regulator. In this case the RAVE99 TI Speech adapter and RS-232 cards. I lost two RAVE99 adapters and one RS-232 card so far.
> >
> >
> > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
> >
> > On 8/26/2013 8:44 PM, Insane Multitasker wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Bill,
> > If you have a multimeter handy test for a short on one or more cards. You can do this by checking the resistance between ground and the input (then output) legs of each regulator. <5 ohms would be a pretty good indicator of a short.
> >
> > Also If memory serves correctly, one of the LS244 buffer chips has an INT line that when blown will hang the system. It usually manifests itself in the RS232 cards as they use the interrupt line in the PEB. The short can be caused by rocking a card within the PEB though it is not the only possible culprit.
> >
> > It is not clear from your message below if you tested a spare TI with a spare flex cable. I would be careful about testing all your cards with varying equipment at least until you rule out a short.
> >
> > Good luck tracking this one down :)
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > PS - good to see you back
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > To: [email-masked]
> > From: br911sullivan@
> > Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:14:56 -0700
> > Subject: Re: [TI-99/4A] Re: PEB woes?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Eric,
> >
> > I tried 3 different cables, and they all failed in the same exact way. Yes, I know about the circuitry at both ends of the TI Flex Cable Interface.
> >
> >
> > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
> >
> > On 8/26/2013 6:36 PM, Eric wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Bill;
> >
> > Have you checked the Interface Card & the hidden Circuit Card inside the end of the 'elephant' cable that connects to the Interface Card?
> >
> > those items rarely fail, however when they do they are very difficult to troubleshoot!
> >
> > Eric
> >
> > --- In [email-masked] , "Sullivan, BR" <br911sullivan@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Help! After testing all the voltage outputs of the PEB that seemed
> > > to eat RAVE 99 TI Speech adapter cards, and then putting it back
> > > together it failed with a very loud squeal and a green & black F18A logo
> > > screen. I started the isolation process by removing one card at a
> > > time. It turned out to be the least likely card, a Myarc RS-232 card
> > > that I removed from the SNUG-TI, which was working well before this
> > > recent move, and installed in this PEB yesterday.
> > >
> > > Now that the squeal is gone and the F18A is showing an excellent
> > > rendering of the TI title screen it appears that the TI console is not
> > > talking to the PEB. The ED/ASM module says there is no expansion
> > > memory, so I removed the SAMS card and put in a standard 32K card. I
> > > still get the same results--no memory expansion, so I tried some "CALLS"
> > > from TI Basic to the Myarc 80 track FDC and get "Bad name", the same
> > > results for the HSGPL card. So now I think it's the TI console or the
> > > Flex Cable Interface. I have spare TI consoles in my closet, and at the
> > > CF7A+/NanoPEB station, so I try rhese first as of this morning I had not
> > > found the two spare interface cables I know are in the garage some
> > > where. Once I proved the same test results for these other TI consoles
> > > I go to the garage, guess what box to start looking in first--good guess
> > > as I find both cables, but I still get all the same test results with
> > > all interface cables.
> > >
> > > I'm at a loss as when I first started testing this TI-99/4A and PEB a
> > > week ago it was working well. The only problem to begin with was a lack
> > > of speech, so I swapped out the RAVE 99 TI Speech adapter with another
> > > including a different TI Speech Synthesizer also, and it failed
> > > immediately. I inspected both and found, in both cases, that a 15 ohm 1
> > > watt resistor was blown near the 7905 regulator which I guessed must
> > > also be fried. Fortunately both TI Speech Synthesizers still work as
> > > sidecars. Next the user defined "CALLS" in the 3MB HRD-16 card stopped
> > > working. Later some other "CALLS" would also become flaky. I thought I
> > > had found a pattern in one of the flaky "CALLS", but it turned out to
> > > not be the case. Next an HSGPL CALL also becomes flaky, so I start
> > > thinking that the damaged RAVE99 cards may have also damaged the PEB
> > > power supply in some way. That's when I completely disassembled the PEB
> > > and tested all the output voltages. All to no avail. So now I'm
> > > looking for new clear-headed ideas from anyone knowledgeable.
> > >
> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
> > >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
> </blockquote>
>
>
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2013.0.3392 / Virus Database: 3211/6615 - Release Date: 08/28/13
>

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:02:12 -0700

Hi Richard,

Yes, and I did that for 10 minutes or so the other day, but did not 
help.  I'm thinking the 7805 bit the dust, and the battery only powers 
the RAM, and none of the other circuitry.  However, the local Radio 
Shack is no longer stocking such items, and I bought the last they had 
(two) and 2 7812 regulators a few weeks ago for restoring TI power to a 
RS-232 card I last used in Poland.  Back then my non-GenMod Geneve had 
all PEB cards with 7805 &7812 regulators removed.  After my return to 
the States I restored all cards, but RS-232 as I had lots of them (5 or 6)..

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 9/10/2013 10:42 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Bill, does your HRD16 have a jumper for the battery circuit? You may 
> need to disconnect battery power for 30 seconds to uncorrupt the 
> memory chips and then start over with loading the CorComp ROS or the 
> MYARC ROS. CorComp ROS is the default ROS for SNUG HRD16..
> The last few days have been costly as I screwed up using DISKU as I 
> couldn't find the documentation until after the disaster.  The 
> diskette seems to have been marred for life, but I have some other 
> recovery methods to try.  The big loss was my 3MB HRD-16 being wiped 
> out, and so far I have not been able to restore the individual RAM 
> "drives" to working order with CFG.  They seem to be OK, at first, 
> until I try to copy files to it or save a BASIC program to it which 
> causes that particular RAM "drive" to disappear, and one by one I can 
> make everyone of them disappear in like manner.
>
> Yesterday I was sure I lost a couple of 720K real 3.5" DSDD 80 track 
> diskettes (never previously used), but this morning I'm sure I have 
> another 3.5" floppy drive starting to fail.  As you may recall I 
> replaced this drive DSK2 right after the PEB failed, so now faced with 
> another one about to fail totally.  The only apparent possible cause 
> is that the 5VDC measures 6 volts, if my Radio Shack analog read-out 
> multi-meter is to be trusted.  Which reminds me that I thought I lost 
> the only floppy drive in my TI support PC also, but I swapped it out 
> twice without success.  I may be suffering from all this medication 
> I'm taking more than I thought.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Just 
> choose the poison you wish to respond to wisely.  This means please be 
> kind if I've missed the obvious.
>
> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>
>> Some good news to report as you may have noticed in my chats with 
>> Greg McGill my hard drive issue with the working PEB (SCSI & IDE) is 
>> some what alleviated with a successful RS-232 connection to my TI 
>> support PC peripheral running  more wonderful application software 
>> from that Wiz across the pond Fred Kaal known as HDX this time.  I 
>> did use it before for just a short time back in Golden Shores with my 
>> now missing CF7A+/NanoPEB, but never discovered the secret of 
>> accessing the local USB printer.
>>
>> For a while the other day I thought I had 4 bad RS-232 cards, as for 
>> some reason or another not even the good ones will work in one 
>> particular PEB slot. I got busy preparing another TI-99/4A console 
>> for a new NanoPEB2 that will be on it's way shortly, so I now have 
>> two F18A powered TI consoles, thus allowing me to use both systems 
>> without further eye strain. I will get back to running down the 
>> RS-232 issue with that one PEB slot.  Soon I hope, but my grandson, 
>> Kyle the Marine, is home visiting right now.  He's spending time with 
>> old hometown buddies at the moment, so I'm continuing to enjoy hobby 
>> fun while I can.  Talk to you later.
>>
>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>
>>> Good news!  SCSI now working well.  I can access the Solid State 
>>> SCSI drive, the SyQuest EZFlyer 230MB drive and the SyQuest EZ135MB 
>>> drive.  I can see the SCSI CD-ROM drive, but I have to find the 
>>> software on a SCSI cartridge somewhere before I can test it.  I do 
>>> have CD-ROM discs for it.  I also have many cartridges for the 
>>> EZFlyer230MB & EZ135MB drives besides those currently mounted.  Nice 
>>> to even see the backups I made just before departing Poland late 1997.
>>>
>>>> I have as much of my TI/Geneve software in emulation files (mostly 
>>>> V9T9) as I could legitimately copy, so I'm also as safe as I can 
>>>> be, but I derive a lot of my hobby fun by using the real hardware.
>>>>
>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>
>>>>> I reasoned the same thing as you; our electronic equipment was 
>>>>> manufactured thirty (30) years ago in the case of the TI-99/4A 
>>>>> consoles & cards and around twenty-five (25) years ago for the 
>>>>> third party electronics. I don't think many of those devices were 
>>>>> designed to function for much longer than a quarter century.
>>>>>
>>>>> That is why I too switched over to using both Classic99 & Win994a 
>>>>> on a 8GB SD Card. That way I am sure that my collection of 
>>>>> TI-99/4A and third party equipment won't have to a chance to 
>>>>> suffer from resistor, capacitor, diode, and chip failure that 
>>>>> "Murphy's Law" saws eventually will happen!
>>>>>
>>>>> Why constantly invite a headache almost every time the older 
>>>>> electronic equipment has current applied to it?
>>>>>
>>>>> --- In [email-masked] <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>, 
>>>>> richgilbertson@... wrote:
>>>>> >
>>>>> > I had to opt out and go Classic99 full on emulations as keeping 
>>>>> up the hardware was becoming impossible on my retirement money.
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> > To: [email-masked] <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>
>>>>> > The reason I retired the bad PEB is that I thought I had it 
>>>>> fixed, and was in the process of testing it before reassembling 
>>>>> it, when I got a phone call from a lady friend to tell me she was 
>>>>> coming back to this area for a visit, and asked if it would be 
>>>>> convenient for us to meet during her time here. Apparently I was 
>>>>> distracted enough that I didn't test everything according to plan. 
>>>>> Powering up the PEB popped several circuit breakers, but the 
>>>>> slow-blow fuse in the PEB wasn't fast enough to save my SAMS card, 
>>>>> but that does seem to be the extent of the damage done, as most 
>>>>> all the other cards seem to be functioning well. More testing to 
>>>>> do in order to be sure.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > This means I will have to resurrect the mid-tower PC case 
>>>>> project to house the SNUG-TI system if I'm unable to repair this 
>>>>> PEB as more damage to it is probable. If I have to salvage it I 
>>>>> will move the muffin fan from it to the good, but loud PEB now in 
>>>>> daily use before it drives me mad. If I'm not already insane, that 
>>>>> is. :-D
>>>>> >
>>>>> > TIB+ is working well, so I can continue with that development as 
>>>>> the spare SAMS is working. as well as the 3MB HRD-16 (user CALLS 
>>>>> are fine), and the HSGPL as well, but IDE and SCSI are not 
>>>>> working, yet, and I only have one slot left for RS-232 or TI 
>>>>> Speech. Depends on which one I get fixed first; the RAVE99 adapter 
>>>>> if Radio Shack has the 7905 & 15 ohm 1 watt resistor (I can make 
>>>>> do with parallel 1/2 watt 30 ohm resistors as there is room 
>>>>> enough). I have another TI RS-232 card from my time in Poland that 
>>>>> I need to restore the 7805 & 7812 for normal TI power use. The 
>>>>> Myarc 80 track FDC is having a problem with the 3.5" DSDD 80 track 
>>>>> drive (DSK2.) The FDC, drive and cables were moved to this PEB 
>>>>> from the bad one, so I don't know why, yet.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > For the time being I have retired the bad PEB, and installed my 
>>>>> more useful TI system cards in the SNUG-TI PEB. I say more useful 
>>>>> only because I don't have a monitor to support the SNUG-TI or 
>>>>> Geneve 9938 VDP right now, but I'm working on that also.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > I still have a few problems with this new arrangement to cure, 
>>>>> but they seem to be minor issues that I will attend to one by one. 
>>>>> and based on availabe spare cards/parts or alternative solutions. 
>>>>> I will report progress to all on-line periodically.
>>>>> >
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Many years ago I had a bad PEB System. Almost, if not every card 
>>>>> in the box was bad. I had to run tests on the cards and replace 
>>>>> them one at a time with good cards. Working on a limited budget, 
>>>>> it was one card a month. This PEB has worked without fail until 
>>>>> last week.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > I now have a PEB System that does not recognize "LOAD" in 
>>>>> Extended Basic. I have no clue as to why DSK1. is not being sought?
>>>>> >
>>>>> > As I said the other day. It is always nice to have a second 
>>>>> functional TI-99/4A, For whatever reason. Mine was to run Lottery 
>>>>> Numbers.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > If you have time... put a connector blocks inside the PEB and 
>>>>> set wires with multimeter test points in the back so as you can 
>>>>> check the voltage without opening the PEB every time. Use a 
>>>>> tapewriter to lablel the actual tested voltage and also what it is 
>>>>> to represent. This is a pretty simple task. And... You will be 
>>>>> having the PEB open anyway. The test points will also work with an 
>>>>> oscilloscope to check wave form.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > And... When the fuse in the transformer blows. Mount a Fuse 
>>>>> Holder on the back of the PEB as well. That way if the fuse blows 
>>>>> again it can be changed without lifting the PEB cover.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > We have had thunder storms... Only God knows what happens when 
>>>>> the lightning stikes near or on a power line.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > And... If needed, our friend Kyle does have most of the TI Test 
>>>>> Disks. I would imagine you already do have the Test Disks as well.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > --- In [email-masked] 
>>>>> <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com> , Insane Multitasker 
>>>>> <insane_m@> wrote:
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > Hi Bill,
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > To: [email-masked] <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>
>>>>> > > From: br911sullivan@
>>>>> > > Yes, it's good to finally be back. See the post I just sent as 
>>>>> Jeff got me on the right path. That PEB is taking out any cards 
>>>>> that use the unregulated -18 volts for input to a -5VDC regulator. 
>>>>> In this case the RAVE99 TI Speech adapter and RS-232 cards. I lost 
>>>>> two RAVE99 adapters and one RS-232 card so far.
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > If you have a multimeter handy test for a short on one or more 
>>>>> cards. You can do this by checking the resistance between ground 
>>>>> and the input (then output) legs of each regulator. <5 ohms would 
>>>>> be a pretty good indicator of a short.
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > Also If memory serves correctly, one of the LS244 buffer chips 
>>>>> has an INT line that when blown will hang the system. It usually 
>>>>> manifests itself in the RS232 cards as they use the interrupt line 
>>>>> in the PEB. The short can be caused by rocking a card within the 
>>>>> PEB though it is not the only possible culprit.
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > It is not clear from your message below if you tested a spare 
>>>>> TI with a spare flex cable. I would be careful about testing all 
>>>>> your cards with varying equipment at least until you rule out a 
>>>>> short.
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > To: [email-masked] <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>
>>>>> > > From: br911sullivan@
>>>>> > > I tried 3 different cables, and they all failed in the same 
>>>>> exact way. Yes, I know about the circuitry at both ends of the TI 
>>>>> Flex Cable Interface.
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > Have you checked the Interface Card & the hidden Circuit Card 
>>>>> inside the end of the 'elephant' cable that connects to the 
>>>>> Interface Card?
>>>>> > >
>>>>> > > --- In [email-masked] 
>>>>> <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com> , "Sullivan, BR" 
>>>>> <br911sullivan@> wrote:
>>>>> > > >

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:21:38 -0700

I'vw been to the desert (AKA my hot 3 car garage) in search of a 
variable step down transformer, and I found two weighty transformers, 
one for the TI PEB and the other a step up from 110 VAC to 220 VAC which 
is the one I used to power my only remaining/working Analog RGB monitor 
that I brought back from Poland.  It appars to be the only monitor/TV 
out there, but I recall seeing a couple of others along with my very old 
RCA 20" TV that still worked, but now no where to be seen,  I wonder, 
what's going on?

I went through everything (boxes & trunks) that I knew were mine.  No 
high value hobby items; CF7A+/NanoPEB, SNUG-TI 40MB MFM hard drive, 80K 
GramKracker, SuperCart and all my self built Jon Guidry carts (16K & up, 
TF, CF2K+DM2K combo, etc.) six or so.   I did find everything except the 
two Tulin TL240 40MB MFM hard drives to re-assemble my old WDS-100 
system as I have two Myarc Personality cards but just one Western 
Digital Hard and Floppy drive Controller card which fits perfectly with 
the two half-height Tulin drives in the external WDS-100 case that sits 
beneath or on top of a PEB sitting vertically on the power supply end.  
All the cables are still connected to the WD 1002-05 controller card.  
However it seems I was preparing the WDS-100 drive case to accommodate 
two SCSI drives as the case has IN & OUT SCSI connectors and cable mounted.

I will decide later which way to go on this project as I have half a 
mind to put a 45 MB half-height MFM drive and a combo floppy drive in 
the WDS-100 case, if I can make the 1.2MB part function only as a 300RPM 
& DSDD 80 track drive.  Something to think about during one of my 
sleepless nights.  I also found another TI Speech adapter, only this one 
is  a Corcomp Triple-Tech card.  Has not  been in a PEB since I last 
lived in Texas (1995).  I wonder how the battery for the clock feature 
is?  I'll find out tomorrow.  No, I popped the CR2032 out, and she's 
dead.  I'll have to find the documentation so I can set the clock once I 
replace the battery.  Oh well, 18 years is a wee too long for a cheap 
battery to last, I guess.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 9/11/2013 2:02 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
> (two) and 2 7812 regulators a few weeks ago for restoring TI power to 
> a RS-232 card I last used in Poland.  Back then my non-GenMod Geneve 
> had all PEB cards with 7805 &7812 regulators removed.  After my return 
> to the States I restored all cards, but RS-232 as I had lots of them 
> (5 or 6)..
>
> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>
>> replaced this drive DSK2 right after the PEB failed, so now faced 
>> with another one about to fail totally.  The only apparent possible 
>> cause is that the 5VDC measures 6 volts, if my Radio Shack analog 
>> read-out multi-meter is to be trusted.  Which reminds me that I 
>> thought I lost the only floppy drive in my TI support PC also, but I 
>> swapped it out twice without success.  I may be suffering from all 
>> this medication I'm taking more than I thought.  Any ideas would be 
>> appreciated.  Just choose the poison you wish to respond to wisely.  
>> This means please be kind if I've missed the obvious.
>>
>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>
>>> did use it before for just a short time back in Golden Shores with 
>>> my now missing CF7A+/NanoPEB, but never discovered the secret of 
>>> Kyle the Marine, is home visiting right now.  He's spending time 
>>> with old hometown buddies at the moment, so I'm continuing to enjoy 
>>> hobby fun while I can. Talk to you later.
>>>
>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>
>>>>>> <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>, richgilbertson@... wrote:
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> distracted enough that I didn't test everything according to 
>>>>>> plan. Powering up the PEB popped several circuit breakers, but 
>>>>>> the slow-blow fuse in the PEB wasn't fast enough to save my SAMS 
>>>>>> card, but that does seem to be the extent of the damage done, as 
>>>>>> most all the other cards seem to be functioning well. More 
>>>>>> testing to do in order to be sure.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> daily use before it drives me mad. If I'm not already insane, 
>>>>>> that is. :-D
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > TIB+ is working well, so I can continue with that development 
>>>>>> as the spare SAMS is working. as well as the 3MB HRD-16 (user 
>>>>>> CALLS are fine), and the HSGPL as well, but IDE and SCSI are not 
>>>>>> Speech. Depends on which one I get fixed first; the RAVE99 
>>>>>> adapter if Radio Shack has the 7905 & 15 ohm 1 watt resistor (I 
>>>>>> can make do with parallel 1/2 watt 30 ohm resistors as there is 
>>>>>> room enough). I have another TI RS-232 card from my time in 
>>>>>> Poland that I need to restore the 7805 & 7812 for normal TI power 
>>>>>> use. The Myarc 80 track FDC is having a problem with the 3.5" 
>>>>>> DSDD 80 track drive (DSK2.) The FDC, drive and cables were moved 
>>>>>> to this PEB from the bad one, so I don't know why, yet.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> but they seem to be minor issues that I will attend to one by 
>>>>>> one. and based on availabe spare cards/parts or alternative 
>>>>>> solutions. I will report progress to all on-line periodically.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > Many years ago I had a bad PEB System. Almost, if not every 
>>>>>> card in the box was bad. I had to run tests on the cards and 
>>>>>> replace them one at a time with good cards. Working on a limited 
>>>>>> budget, it was one card a month. This PEB has worked without fail 
>>>>>> until last week.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> tapewriter to lablel the actual tested voltage and also what it 
>>>>>> is to represent. This is a pretty simple task. And... You will be 
>>>>>> having the PEB open anyway. The test points will also work with 
>>>>>> an oscilloscope to check wave form.
>>>>>> >
>>>>>> > > Yes, it's good to finally be back. See the post I just sent 
>>>>>> as Jeff got me on the right path. That PEB is taking out any 
>>>>>> cards that use the unregulated -18 volts for input to a -5VDC 
>>>>>> regulator. In this case the RAVE99 TI Speech adapter and RS-232 
>>>>>> cards. I lost two RAVE99 adapters and one RS-232 card so far.
>>>>>> > >
>>>>>> > >
>>>>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>> > >
>>>>>> > > If you have a multimeter handy test for a short on one or 
>>>>>> more cards. You can do this by checking the resistance between 
>>>>>> ground and the input (then output) legs of each regulator. <5 
>>>>>> ohms would be a pretty good indicator of a short.
>>>>>> > >
>>>>>> > > Also If memory serves correctly, one of the LS244 buffer 
>>>>>> chips has an INT line that when blown will hang the system. It 
>>>>>> usually manifests itself in the RS232 cards as they use the 
>>>>>> interrupt line in the PEB. The short can be caused by rocking a 
>>>>>> card within the PEB though it is not the only possible culprit.
>>>>>> > >

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:26:26 -0700

Because I didn't find any of the usual buss buffer chips (74LS244 OR 
74LS245) on this Corcomp Triple-Tech card I pulled all the 64K spool-er 
RAM chips in hopes that one of them would be the culprit, but no such 
luck.  My recent hobby hardware history remains consistent.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 9/12/2013 10:16 AM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
> In spite of a new lithium battery the Triple-Tech card only gave me 
> the F18A green & black Logo screen of death and the obnoxious loud 
> screeching noise.  I put the SPVMC back in and all is well.  This is 
> consistent with my recent history of  bad hardware issues, so not a 
> surprise.
>
> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>
> On 9/11/2013 8:21 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
>> one for the TI PEB and the other a step up from 110 VAC to 220 VAC 
>> which is the one I used to power my only remaining/working Analog RGB 
>> monitor that I brought back from Poland.  It appars to be the only 
>> monitor/TV out there, but I recall seeing a couple of others along 
>> with my very old RCA 20" TV that still worked, but now no where to be 
>> seen,  I wonder, what's going on?
>>
>> high value hobby items; CF7A+/NanoPEB, SNUG-TI 40MB MFM hard drive, 
>> 80K GramKracker, SuperCart and all my self built Jon Guidry carts 
>> (16K & up, TF, CF2K+DM2K combo, etc.) six or so.   I did find 
>> everything except the two Tulin TL240 40MB MFM hard drives to 
>> re-assemble my old WDS-100 system as I have two Myarc Personality 
>> cards but just one Western Digital Hard and Floppy drive Controller 
>> card which fits perfectly with the two half-height Tulin drives in 
>> the external WDS-100 case that sits beneath or on top of a PEB 
>> sitting vertically on the power supply end.  All the cables are still 
>> connected to the WD 1002-05 controller card. However it seems I was 
>> preparing the WDS-100 drive case to accommodate two SCSI drives as 
>> the case has IN & OUT SCSI connectors and cable mounted.
>>
>> the WDS-100 case, if I can make the 1.2MB part function only as a 
>> 300RPM & DSDD 80 track drive. Something to think about during one of 
>> my sleepless nights.  I also found another TI Speech adapter, only 
>> this one is  a Corcomp Triple-Tech card.  Has not  been in a PEB 
>> since I last lived in Texas (1995).  I wonder how the battery for the 
>> clock feature is?  I'll find out tomorrow.  No, I popped the CR2032 
>> out, and she's dead.  I'll have to find the documentation so I can 
>> set the clock once I replace the battery.  Oh well, 18 years is a wee 
>> too long for a cheap battery to last, I guess.
>>
>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>
>>> help.  I'm thinking the 7805 bit the dust, and the battery only 
>>> powers the RAM, and none of the other circuitry.  However, the local 
>>> Radio Shack is no longer stocking such items, and I bought the last 
>>> they had (two) and 2 7812 regulators a few weeks ago for restoring 
>>> TI power to a RS-232 card I last used in Poland.  Back then my 
>>> non-GenMod Geneve had all PEB cards with 7805 &7812 regulators 
>>> removed.  After my return to the States I restored all cards, but 
>>> RS-232 as I had lots of them (5 or 6)..
>>>
>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>
>>>> Bill, does your HRD16 have a jumper for the battery circuit? You 
>>>> may need to disconnect battery power for 30 seconds to uncorrupt 
>>>> the memory chips and then start over with loading the CorComp ROS 
>>>> or the MYARC ROS. CorComp ROS is the default ROS for SNUG HRD16..
>>>> recovery methods to try.  The big loss was my 3MB HRD-16 being 
>>>> wiped out, and so far I have not been able to restore the 
>>>> individual RAM "drives" to working order with CFG.  They seem to be 
>>>> OK, at first, until I try to copy files to it or save a BASIC 
>>>> program to it which causes that particular RAM "drive" to 
>>>> disappear, and one by one I can make everyone of them disappear in 
>>>> like manner.
>>>>
>>>> Yesterday I was sure I lost a couple of 720K real 3.5" DSDD 80 
>>>> track diskettes (never previously used), but this morning I'm sure 
>>>> I have another 3.5" floppy drive starting to fail.  As you may 
>>>> recall I replaced this drive DSK2 right after the PEB failed, so 
>>>> now faced with another one about to fail totally.  The only 
>>>> apparent possible cause is that the 5VDC measures 6 volts, if my 
>>>> Radio Shack analog read-out multi-meter is to be trusted.  Which 
>>>> reminds me that I thought I lost the only floppy drive in my TI 
>>>> support PC also, but I swapped it out twice without success.  I may 
>>>> be suffering from all this medication I'm taking more than I 
>>>> thought.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Just choose the poison 
>>>> you wish to respond to wisely.  This means please be kind if I've 
>>>> missed the obvious.
>>>>
>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>
>>>>> Greg McGill my hard drive issue with the working PEB (SCSI & IDE) 
>>>>> is some what alleviated with a successful RS-232 connection to my 
>>>>> TI support PC peripheral running  more wonderful application 
>>>>> software from that Wiz across the pond Fred Kaal known as HDX this 
>>>>> time.  I did use it before for just a short time back in Golden 
>>>>> Shores with my now missing CF7A+/NanoPEB, but never discovered the 
>>>>> secret of accessing the local USB printer.
>>>>>
>>>>> For a while the other day I thought I had 4 bad RS-232 cards, as 
>>>>> for some reason or another not even the good ones will work in one 
>>>>> particular PEB slot.  I got busy preparing another TI-99/4A 
>>>>> console for a new NanoPEB2 that will be on it's way shortly, so I 
>>>>> now have two F18A powered TI consoles, thus allowing me to use 
>>>>> both systems without further eye strain.  I will get back to 
>>>>> running down the RS-232 issue with that one PEB slot.  Soon I 
>>>>> hope, but my grandson, Kyle the Marine, is home visiting right 
>>>>> now.  He's spending time with old hometown buddies at the moment, 
>>>>> so I'm continuing to enjoy hobby fun while I can.  Talk to you later.
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>
>>>>>> SCSI drive, the SyQuest EZFlyer 230MB drive and the SyQuest 
>>>>>> EZ135MB drive.  I can see the SCSI CD-ROM drive, but I have to 
>>>>>> find the software on a SCSI cartridge somewhere before I can test 
>>>>>> it.  I do have CD-ROM discs for it.  I also have many cartridges 
>>>>>> for the EZFlyer230MB & EZ135MB drives besides those currently 
>>>>>> mounted.  Nice to even see the backups I made just before 
>>>>>> departing Poland late 1997.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I have as much of my TI/Geneve software in emulation files 
>>>>>>> (mostly V9T9) as I could legitimately copy, so I'm also as safe 
>>>>>>> as I can be, but I derive a lot of my hobby fun by using the 
>>>>>>> real hardware.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> third party electronics. I don't think many of those devices 
>>>>>>>> were designed to function for much longer than a quarter century.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> That is why I too switched over to using both Classic99 & 
>>>>>>>> Win994a on a 8GB SD Card. That way I am sure that my collection 
>>>>>>>> of TI-99/4A and third party equipment won't have to a chance to 
>>>>>>>> > I had to opt out and go Classic99 full on emulations as 
>>>>>>>> keeping up the hardware was becoming impossible on my 
>>>>>>>> retirement money.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> it, when I got a phone call from a lady friend to tell me she 
>>>>>>>> was coming back to this area for a visit, and asked if it would 
>>>>>>>> be convenient for us to meet during her time here. Apparently I 
>>>>>>>> was distracted enough that I didn't test everything according 
>>>>>>>> to plan. Powering up the PEB popped several circuit breakers, 
>>>>>>>> but the slow-blow fuse in the PEB wasn't fast enough to save my 
>>>>>>>> SAMS card, but that does seem to be the extent of the damage 
>>>>>>>> done, as most all the other cards seem to be functioning well. 
>>>>>>>> More testing to do in order to be sure.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> project to house the SNUG-TI system if I'm unable to repair 
>>>>>>>> this PEB as more damage to it is probable. If I have to salvage 
>>>>>>>> it I will move the muffin fan from it to the good, but loud PEB 
>>>>>>>> now in daily use before it drives me mad. If I'm not already 
>>>>>>>> insane, that is. :-D
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> CALLS are fine), and the HSGPL as well, but IDE and SCSI are 
>>>>>>>> not working, yet, and I only have one slot left for RS-232 or 
>>>>>>>> TI Speech. Depends on which one I get fixed first; the RAVE99 
>>>>>>>> Poland that I need to restore the 7805 & 7812 for normal TI 
>>>>>>>> power use. The Myarc 80 track FDC is having a problem with the 
>>>>>>>> 3.5" DSDD 80 track drive (DSK2.) The FDC, drive and cables were 
>>>>>>>> moved to this PEB from the bad one, so I don't know why, yet.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> > For the time being I have retired the bad PEB, and installed 
>>>>>>>> my more useful TI system cards in the SNUG-TI PEB. I say more 
>>>>>>>> useful only because I don't have a monitor to support the 
>>>>>>>> SNUG-TI or Geneve 9938 VDP right now, but I'm working on that 
>>>>>>>> also.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> > I still have a few problems with this new arrangement to 
>>>>>>>> cure, but they seem to be minor issues that I will attend to 
>>>>>>>> one by one. and based on availabe spare cards/parts or 
>>>>>>>> alternative solutions. I will report progress to all on-line 
>>>>>>>> periodically.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> replace them one at a time with good cards. Working on a 
>>>>>>>> limited budget, it was one card a month. This PEB has worked 
>>>>>>>> without fail until last week.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> functional TI-99/4A, For whatever reason. Mine was to run 
>>>>>>>> Lottery Numbers.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> is to represent. This is a pretty simple task. And... You will 
>>>>>>>> be having the PEB open anyway. The test points will also work 
>>>>>>>> with an oscilloscope to check wave form.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> > Use a "C" Clamp and a piece of would. That way, when you 
>>>>>>>> drill, your holes will be nice and round.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> Holder on the back of the PEB as well. That way if the fuse 
>>>>>>>> blows again it can be changed without lifting the PEB cover.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> > We have had thunder storms... Only God knows what happens 
>>>>>>>> when the lightning stikes near or on a power line.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> > And... If needed, our friend Kyle does have most of the TI 
>>>>>>>> Test Disks. I would imagine you already do have the Test Disks 
>>>>>>>> as well.
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> > > Wow, that seems awfully high! That sounds closer to the 
>>>>>>>> -12v line voltage than the -5v line voltage!
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> > > Nicely done, Jeff!
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> > > It is not clear from your message below if you tested a 
>>>>>>>> spare TI with a spare flex cable. I would be careful about 
>>>>>>>> testing all your cards with varying equipment at least until 
>>>>>>>> you rule out a short.
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> exact way. Yes, I know about the circuitry at both ends of the 
>>>>>>>> TI Flex Cable Interface.
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>> > > Have you checked the Interface Card & the hidden Circuit 
>>>>>>>> Card inside the end of the 'elephant' cable that connects to 
>>>>>>>> the Interface Card?
>>>>>>>> > >

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:06:59 -0700

I just reported the sad news to Jaime that the replacement for the 
failed NanoPEB V2.0 serial port, failed immediately on power up (CTS 
signal only), but otherwise works well with the 2GB CF card that came 
with the first unit a little over a week ago, so my hardware woes 
continue.  Not to be out done by TI bobby hardware the 23" flat screen 
that serves as monitor for my TI support PC and the F18A powered NanoPEB 
system failed yesterday evening.  I was able to shutdown the TI system 
blindly, but not sure I want to try and shut down the PC blindly, so 
it's heart is still beating as I type on my laptop.  The only other 
monitors that I still have is the 16" flat screen used by the F18A 
powered TI with TI PEB system, and the Polish Commodore 1084 Analog RGB 
220VAC monitor out in the garage.  I do have a transformer for it, so 
useable for SNUG-TI and/or Geneve.

It will be a while before I can replace the bad monitor as my car will 
be ready this Wednesday, and I still owe a thousand on it. Oh well, I've 
lived on tighter budgets before.  I just have to decide which hobby 
system I want to use for the next month or so. I'm not watching much TV 
these days, so I could bring the 37" flat screen TV over for that time.;-)

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 9/12/2013 11:26 AM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
> 74LS245) on this Corcomp Triple-Tech card I pulled all the 64K 
> spool-er RAM chips in hopes that one of them would be the culprit, but 
> no such luck.  My recent hobby hardware history remains consistent.
>
> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>
>>> variable step down transformer, and I found two weighty 
>>> transformers, one for the TI PEB and the other a step up from 110 
>>> VAC to 220 VAC which is the one I used to power my only 
>>> remaining/working Analog RGB monitor that I brought back from 
>>> Poland.  It appars to be the only monitor/TV out there, but I recall 
>>> seeing a couple of others along with my very old RCA 20" TV that 
>>> still worked, but now no where to be seen,  I wonder, what's going on?
>>>
>>> I went through everything (boxes & trunks) that I knew were mine.  
>>> No high value hobby items; CF7A+/NanoPEB, SNUG-TI 40MB MFM hard 
>>> drive, 80K GramKracker, SuperCart and all my self built Jon Guidry 
>>> carts (16K & up, TF, CF2K+DM2K combo, etc.) six or so.   I did find 
>>> sitting vertically on the power supply end.  All the cables are 
>>> still connected to the WD 1002-05 controller card.  However it seems 
>>> I was preparing the WDS-100 drive case to accommodate two SCSI 
>>> drives as the case has IN & OUT SCSI connectors and cable mounted.
>>>
>>> mind to put a 45 MB half-height MFM drive and a combo floppy drive 
>>> in the WDS-100 case, if I can make the 1.2MB part function only as a 
>>> 300RPM & DSDD 80 track drive.  Something to think about during one 
>>> of my sleepless nights.  I also found another TI Speech adapter, 
>>> only this one is  a Corcomp Triple-Tech card.  Has not  been in a 
>>> PEB since I last lived in Texas (1995).  I wonder how the battery 
>>> for the clock feature is?  I'll find out tomorrow. No, I popped the 
>>> CR2032 out, and she's dead.  I'll have to find the documentation so 
>>> I can set the clock once I replace the battery.  Oh well, 18 years 
>>> is a wee too long for a cheap battery to last, I guess.
>>>
>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>
>>>> powers the RAM, and none of the other circuitry.  However, the 
>>>> local Radio Shack is no longer stocking such items, and I bought 
>>>> the last they had (two) and 2 7812 regulators a few weeks ago for 
>>>> restoring TI power to a RS-232 card I last used in Poland.  Back 
>>>> then my non-GenMod Geneve had all PEB cards with 7805 &7812 
>>>> regulators removed.  After my return to the States I restored all 
>>>> cards, but RS-232 as I had lots of them (5 or 6)..
>>>>
>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>
>>>>> The last few days have been costly as I screwed up using DISKU as 
>>>>> I couldn't find the documentation until after the disaster.  The 
>>>>> individual RAM "drives" to working order with CFG.  They seem to 
>>>>> be OK, at first, until I try to copy files to it or save a BASIC 
>>>>> support PC also, but I swapped it out twice without success.  I 
>>>>> may be suffering from all this medication I'm taking more than I 
>>>>>> software from that Wiz across the pond Fred Kaal known as HDX 
>>>>>> this time.  I did use it before for just a short time back in 
>>>>>> Golden Shores with my now missing CF7A+/NanoPEB, but never 
>>>>>> discovered the secret of accessing the local USB printer.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> for some reason or another not even the good ones will work in 
>>>>>> one particular PEB slot.  I got busy preparing another TI-99/4A 
>>>>>>> find the software on a SCSI cartridge somewhere before I can 
>>>>>>> test it.  I do have CD-ROM discs for it. I also have many 
>>>>>>> cartridges for the EZFlyer230MB & EZ135MB drives besides those 
>>>>>>> currently mounted.  Nice to even see the backups I made just 
>>>>>>> before departing Poland late 1997.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Win994a on a 8GB SD Card. That way I am sure that my 
>>>>>>>>> collection of TI-99/4A and third party equipment won't have to 
>>>>>>>>> a chance to suffer from resistor, capacitor, diode, and chip 
>>>>>>>>> failure that "Murphy's Law" saws eventually will happen!
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> fixed, and was in the process of testing it before 
>>>>>>>>> reassembling it, when I got a phone call from a lady friend to 
>>>>>>>>> tell me she was coming back to this area for a visit, and 
>>>>>>>>> asked if it would be convenient for us to meet during her time 
>>>>>>>>> here. Apparently I was distracted enough that I didn't test 
>>>>>>>>> everything according to plan. Powering up the PEB popped 
>>>>>>>>> several circuit breakers, but the slow-blow fuse in the PEB 
>>>>>>>>> wasn't fast enough to save my SAMS card, but that does seem to 
>>>>>>>>> be the extent of the damage done, as most all the other cards 
>>>>>>>>> seem to be functioning well. More testing to do in order to be 
>>>>>>>>> sure.
>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>> this PEB as more damage to it is probable. If I have to 
>>>>>>>>> salvage it I will move the muffin fan from it to the good, but 
>>>>>>>>> loud PEB now in daily use before it drives me mad. If I'm not 
>>>>>>>>> already insane, that is. :-D
>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>> > TIB+ is working well, so I can continue with that 
>>>>>>>>> development as the spare SAMS is working. as well as the 3MB 
>>>>>>>>> HRD-16 (user CALLS are fine), and the HSGPL as well, but IDE 
>>>>>>>>> and SCSI are not working, yet, and I only have one slot left 
>>>>>>>>> for RS-232 or TI Speech. Depends on which one I get fixed 
>>>>>>>>> first; the RAVE99 adapter if Radio Shack has the 7905 & 15 ohm 
>>>>>>>>> 1 watt resistor (I can make do with parallel 1/2 watt 30 ohm 
>>>>>>>>> resistors as there is room enough). I have another TI RS-232 
>>>>>>>>> card from my time in Poland that I need to restore the 7805 & 
>>>>>>>>> 7812 for normal TI power use. The Myarc 80 track FDC is having 
>>>>>>>>> a problem with the 3.5" DSDD 80 track drive (DSK2.) The FDC, 
>>>>>>>>> drive and cables were moved to this PEB from the bad one, so I 
>>>>>>>>> don't know why, yet.
>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>> > If you have time... put a connector blocks inside the PEB 
>>>>>>>>> and set wires with multimeter test points in the back so as 
>>>>>>>>> you can check the voltage without opening the PEB every time. 
>>>>>>>>> Use a tapewriter to lablel the actual tested voltage and also 
>>>>>>>>> what it is to represent. This is a pretty simple task. And... 
>>>>>>>>> You will be having the PEB open anyway. The test points will 
>>>>>>>>> also work with an oscilloscope to check wave form.
>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>> <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>
>>>>>>>>> > > From: br911sullivan@
>>>>>>>>> > > Yes, it's good to finally be back. See the post I just 
>>>>>>>>> sent as Jeff got me on the right path. That PEB is taking out 
>>>>>>>>> any cards that use the unregulated -18 volts for input to a 
>>>>>>>>> -5VDC regulator. In this case the RAVE99 TI Speech adapter and 
>>>>>>>>> RS-232 cards. I lost two RAVE99 adapters and one RS-232 card 
>>>>>>>>> so far.
>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>> interrupt line in the PEB. The short can be caused by rocking 
>>>>>>>>> a card within the PEB though it is not the only possible culprit.
>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>> <mailto:ti99-4a%40yahoogroups.com>
>>>>>>>>> > > From: br911sullivan@
>>>>>>>>> > > I tried 3 different cables, and they all failed in the 
>>>>>>>>> same exact way. Yes, I know about the circuitry at both ends 
>>>>>>>>> of the TI Flex Cable Interface.
>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>>> > >

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 11:13:23 -0700

DO NOT DISTURB FOR NEXT TWO DAYS!

Important find:

1. SNUG-TI 40MB MFM hard drive in case with cables.
2. TI Workshop 64K Module & E/A SuperCart.  Still missing 16K TF and 64K 
CF2K+DM2K+DU2K combo modules
3. CF7A+ with 512MB CF card & NanoPEB V1.0 with 2GB CF card.
4. 80K GramKracker

I will be very busy for the next couple of days.  Only problem apparent 
is the lack of one monitor for two separate workstations.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 9/23/2013 10:06 AM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
> that serves as monitor for my TI support PC and the F18A powered 
> NanoPEB system failed yesterday evening.  I was able to shutdown the 
> TI system blindly, but not sure I want to try and shut down the PC 
> blindly, so it's heart is still beating as I type on my laptop. The 
> only other monitors that I still have is the 16" flat screen used by 
> the F18A powered TI with TI PEB system, and the Polish Commodore 1084 
> Analog RGB 220VAC monitor out in the garage.  I do have a transformer 
> for it, so useable for SNUG-TI and/or Geneve.
>
> be ready this Wednesday, and I still owe a thousand on it.  Oh well, 
> I've lived on tighter budgets before.  I just have to decide which 
> hobby system I want to use for the next month or so.  I'm not watching 
> much TV these days, so I could bring the 37" flat screen TV over for 
> that time.;-)
>
> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>
>> spool-er RAM chips in hopes that one of them would be the culprit, 
>> but no such luck.  My recent hobby hardware history remains consistent.
>>
>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>
>>>> Poland.  It appars to be the only monitor/TV out there, but I 
>>>> recall seeing a couple of others along with my very old RCA 20" TV 
>>>> that still worked, but now no where to be seen,  I wonder, what's 
>>>> going on?
>>>>
>>>> still connected to the WD 1002-05 controller card.  However it 
>>>> seems I was preparing the WDS-100 drive case to accommodate two 
>>>> SCSI drives as the case has IN & OUT SCSI connectors and cable mounted.
>>>>
>>>> I will decide later which way to go on this project as I have half 
>>>> a mind to put a 45 MB half-height MFM drive and a combo floppy 
>>>> drive in the WDS-100 case, if I can make the 1.2MB part function 
>>>> only as a 300RPM & DSDD 80 track drive.  Something to think about 
>>>> during one of my sleepless nights.  I also found another TI Speech 
>>>> adapter, only this one is  a Corcomp Triple-Tech card.  Has not 
>>>> been in a PEB since I last lived in Texas (1995).  I wonder how the 
>>>> battery for the clock feature is?  I'll find out tomorrow.  No, I 
>>>> popped the CR2032 out, and she's dead.  I'll have to find the 
>>>> documentation so I can set the clock once I replace the battery.  
>>>> Oh well, 18 years is a wee too long for a cheap battery to last, I 
>>>> guess.
>>>>
>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>
>>>>> Yes, and I did that for 10 minutes or so the other day, but did 
>>>>> not help.  I'm thinking the 7805 bit the dust, and the battery 
>>>>> only powers the RAM, and none of the other circuitry.  However, 
>>>>> the local Radio Shack is no longer stocking such items, and I 
>>>>> bought the last they had (two) and 2 7812 regulators a few weeks 
>>>>> ago for restoring TI power to a RS-232 card I last used in 
>>>>> Poland.  Back then my non-GenMod Geneve had all PEB cards with 
>>>>> 7805 &7812 regulators removed.  After my return to the States I 
>>>>> restored all cards, but RS-232 as I had lots of them (5 or 6)..
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>
>>>>>> diskette seems to have been marred for life, but I have some 
>>>>>> other recovery methods to try.  The big loss was my 3MB HRD-16 
>>>>>> being wiped out, and so far I have not been able to restore the 
>>>>>> disappear, and one by one I can make everyone of them disappear 
>>>>>> in like manner.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> track diskettes (never previously used), but this morning I'm 
>>>>>> sure I have another 3.5" floppy drive starting to fail.  As you 
>>>>>> may recall I replaced this drive DSK2 right after the PEB failed, 
>>>>>> so now faced with another one about to fail totally.  The only 
>>>>>>> Some good news to report as you may have noticed in my chats 
>>>>>>> with Greg McGill my hard drive issue with the working PEB (SCSI 
>>>>>>> & IDE) is some what alleviated with a successful RS-232 
>>>>>>> connection to my TI support PC peripheral running  more 
>>>>>>> wonderful application software from that Wiz across the pond 
>>>>>>> Fred Kaal known as HDX this time.  I did use it before for just 
>>>>>>> a short time back in Golden Shores with my now missing 
>>>>>>> CF7A+/NanoPEB, but never discovered the secret of accessing the 
>>>>>>> local USB printer.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> console for a new NanoPEB2 that will be on it's way shortly, so 
>>>>>>> I now have two F18A powered TI consoles, thus allowing me to use 
>>>>>>> now.  He's spending time with old hometown buddies at the 
>>>>>>> moment, so I'm continuing to enjoy hobby fun while I can.  Talk 
>>>>>>> to you later.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> (mostly V9T9) as I could legitimately copy, so I'm also as 
>>>>>>>>> safe as I can be, but I derive a lot of my hobby fun by using 
>>>>>>>>> the real hardware.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I reasoned the same thing as you; our electronic equipment 
>>>>>>>>>> was manufactured thirty (30) years ago in the case of the 
>>>>>>>>>> TI-99/4A consoles & cards and around twenty-five (25) years 
>>>>>>>>>> ago for the third party electronics. I don't think many of 
>>>>>>>>>> those devices were designed to function for much longer than 
>>>>>>>>>> a quarter century.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> collection of TI-99/4A and third party equipment won't have 
>>>>>>>>>> to a chance to suffer from resistor, capacitor, diode, and 
>>>>>>>>>> chip failure that "Murphy's Law" saws eventually will happen!
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> reassembling it, when I got a phone call from a lady friend 
>>>>>>>>>> to tell me she was coming back to this area for a visit, and 
>>>>>>>>>> asked if it would be convenient for us to meet during her 
>>>>>>>>>> time here. Apparently I was distracted enough that I didn't 
>>>>>>>>>> test everything according to plan. Powering up the PEB popped 
>>>>>>>>>> wasn't fast enough to save my SAMS card, but that does seem 
>>>>>>>>>> to be the extent of the damage done, as most all the other 
>>>>>>>>>> cards seem to be functioning well. More testing to do in 
>>>>>>>>>> order to be sure.
>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>> salvage it I will move the muffin fan from it to the good, 
>>>>>>>>>> but loud PEB now in daily use before it drives me mad. If I'm 
>>>>>>>>>> not already insane, that is. :-D
>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>> first; the RAVE99 adapter if Radio Shack has the 7905 & 15 
>>>>>>>>>> ohm 1 watt resistor (I can make do with parallel 1/2 watt 30 
>>>>>>>>>> ohm resistors as there is room enough). I have another TI 
>>>>>>>>>> RS-232 card from my time in Poland that I need to restore the 
>>>>>>>>>> 7805 & 7812 for normal TI power use. The Myarc 80 track FDC 
>>>>>>>>>> is having a problem with the 3.5" DSDD 80 track drive (DSK2.) 
>>>>>>>>>> The FDC, drive and cables were moved to this PEB from the bad 
>>>>>>>>>> one, so I don't know why, yet.
>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>> > For the time being I have retired the bad PEB, and 
>>>>>>>>>> installed my more useful TI system cards in the SNUG-TI PEB. 
>>>>>>>>>> I say more useful only because I don't have a monitor to 
>>>>>>>>>> support the SNUG-TI or Geneve 9938 VDP right now, but I'm 
>>>>>>>>>> working on that also.
>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>> Test Disks. I would imagine you already do have the Test 
>>>>>>>>>> Disks as well.
>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>> -5VDC regulator. In this case the RAVE99 TI Speech adapter 
>>>>>>>>>> and RS-232 cards. I lost two RAVE99 adapters and one RS-232 
>>>>>>>>>> card so far.
>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>> more cards. You can do this by checking the resistance 
>>>>>>>>>> between ground and the input (then output) legs of each 
>>>>>>>>>> regulator. <5 ohms would be a pretty good indicator of a short.
>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>> chips has an INT line that when blown will hang the system. 
>>>>>>>>>> It usually manifests itself in the RS232 cards as they use 
>>>>>>>>>> the interrupt line in the PEB. The short can be caused by 
>>>>>>>>>> rocking a card within the PEB though it is not the only 
>>>>>>>>>> possible culprit.
>>>>>>>>>> > >

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 17:44:38 -0700

Here's a good report (see below)
Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
> 1. SNUG-TI 40MB MFM hard drive in case with cables. 
Now operational in standard TI PEB system.
> 2. TI Workshop 64K Module & E/A SuperCart.  Still missing 16K TF and 
> 64K CF2K+DM2K+DU2K combo modules
TI Workshop & E/A SuperCart are functional.
> 3. CF7A+ with 512MB CF card & NanoPEB V1.0 with 2GB CF card.
Both the CF7A+ and and NanoPEB V1.0 are functioning as expected. The 
NanoPEB V1.0 works well via RS-232 switch with HDX server on PC.  So it 
becomes the replacement for the NanoPEB V2.0 with bad COM1 port.
> 4. 80K GramKracker. 
Thank God it's a functioning 80K GramKracker,  My most valued NanoPEB 
peripheral, especially for TIB+ development.
>
> I will be very busy for the next couple of days.  Only problem 
> apparent is the lack of one monitor for two separate workstations.
This is and remains the biggest problem until November when I might have 
a few extra dollars for hobby stuff.
>> continue.  Not to be out done by TI bobby hardware the 23" flat 
>> screen that serves as monitor for my TI support PC and the F18A 
>> powered NanoPEB system failed yesterday evening.  I was able to 
>> shutdown the TI system blindly, but not sure I want to try and shut 
>> down the PC blindly, so it's heart is still beating as I type on my 
>> laptop.  The only other monitors that I still have is the 16" flat 
>> screen used by the F18A powered TI with TI PEB system, and the Polish 
>> Commodore 1084 Analog RGB 220VAC monitor out in the garage.  I do 
>> have a transformer for it, so useable for SNUG-TI and/or Geneve.
>>
>> It will be a while before I can replace the bad monitor as my car 
>> will be ready this Wednesday, and I still owe a thousand on it.  Oh 
>> well, I've lived on tighter budgets before.  I just have to decide 
>> which hobby system I want to use for the next month or so.  I'm not 
>> watching much TV these days, so I could bring the 37" flat screen TV 
>> over for that time.;-)
>>
>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>
>>>> screeching noise.  I put the SPVMC back in and all is well.  This 
>>>> is consistent with my recent history of  bad hardware issues, so 
>>>> not a surprise.
>>>>
>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>
>>>>> carts (16K & up, TF, CF2K+DM2K combo, etc.) six or so.   I did 
>>>>> find everything except the two Tulin TL240 40MB MFM hard drives to 
>>>>> cards but just one Western Digital Hard and Floppy drive 
>>>>> Controller card which fits perfectly with the two half-height 
>>>>> Tulin drives in the external WDS-100 case that sits beneath or on 
>>>>> top of a PEB sitting vertically on the power supply end.  All the 
>>>>> cables are still connected to the WD 1002-05 controller card.  
>>>>> However it seems I was preparing the WDS-100 drive case to 
>>>>> accommodate two SCSI drives as the case has IN & OUT SCSI 
>>>>> connectors and cable mounted.
>>>>>
>>>>> been in a PEB since I last lived in Texas (1995).  I wonder how 
>>>>> the battery for the clock feature is?  I'll find out tomorrow.  
>>>>> No, I popped the CR2032 out, and she's dead.  I'll have to find 
>>>>> the documentation so I can set the clock once I replace the 
>>>>> battery.  Oh well, 18 years is a wee too long for a cheap battery 
>>>>> to last, I guess.
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>
>>>>>>> the memory chips and then start over with loading the CorComp 
>>>>>>> ROS or the MYARC ROS. CorComp ROS is the default ROS for SNUG 
>>>>>>> HRD16..
>>>>>>> The last few days have been costly as I screwed up using DISKU 
>>>>>>> as I couldn't find the documentation until after the disaster. 
>>>>>>> The diskette seems to have been marred for life, but I have some 
>>>>>>> may recall I replaced this drive DSK2 right after the PEB 
>>>>>>> failed, so now faced with another one about to fail totally.  
>>>>>>> The only apparent possible cause is that the 5VDC measures 6 
>>>>>>> volts, if my Radio Shack analog read-out multi-meter is to be 
>>>>>>> trusted.  Which reminds me that I thought I lost the only floppy 
>>>>>>> drive in my TI support PC also, but I swapped it out twice 
>>>>>>> without success.  I may be suffering from all this medication 
>>>>>>> I'm taking more than I thought.  Any ideas would be 
>>>>>>> appreciated.  Just choose the poison you wish to respond to 
>>>>>>> wisely. This means please be kind if I've missed the obvious.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> For a while the other day I thought I had 4 bad RS-232 cards, 
>>>>>>>> as for some reason or another not even the good ones will work 
>>>>>>>> in one particular PEB slot.  I got busy preparing another 
>>>>>>>> TI-99/4A console for a new NanoPEB2 that will be on it's way 
>>>>>>>> shortly, so I now have two F18A powered TI consoles, thus 
>>>>>>>> allowing me to use both systems without further eye strain.  I 
>>>>>>>> will get back to running down the RS-232 issue with that one 
>>>>>>>> PEB slot.  Soon I hope, but my grandson, Kyle the Marine, is 
>>>>>>>> home visiting right now.  He's spending time with old hometown 
>>>>>>>> buddies at the moment, so I'm continuing to enjoy hobby fun 
>>>>>>>> while I can.  Talk to you later.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Good news! SCSI now working well.  I can access the Solid 
>>>>>>>>> State SCSI drive, the SyQuest EZFlyer 230MB drive and the 
>>>>>>>>> SyQuest EZ135MB drive.  I can see the SCSI CD-ROM drive, but I 
>>>>>>>>> have to find the software on a SCSI cartridge somewhere before 
>>>>>>>>> I can test it.  I do have CD-ROM discs for it.  I also have 
>>>>>>>>> many cartridges for the EZFlyer230MB & EZ135MB drives besides 
>>>>>>>>> those currently mounted.  Nice to even see the backups I made 
>>>>>>>>> just before departing Poland late 1997.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> > The reason I retired the bad PEB is that I thought I had 
>>>>>>>>>>> it fixed, and was in the process of testing it before 
>>>>>>>>>>> test everything according to plan. Powering up the PEB 
>>>>>>>>>>> popped several circuit breakers, but the slow-blow fuse in 
>>>>>>>>>>> the PEB wasn't fast enough to save my SAMS card, but that 
>>>>>>>>>>> does seem to be the extent of the damage done, as most all 
>>>>>>>>>>> the other cards seem to be functioning well. More testing to 
>>>>>>>>>>> do in order to be sure.
>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>> but loud PEB now in daily use before it drives me mad. If 
>>>>>>>>>>> I'm not already insane, that is. :-D
>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>> RS-232 card from my time in Poland that I need to restore 
>>>>>>>>>>> the 7805 & 7812 for normal TI power use. The Myarc 80 track 
>>>>>>>>>>> FDC is having a problem with the 3.5" DSDD 80 track drive 
>>>>>>>>>>> (DSK2.) The FDC, drive and cables were moved to this PEB 
>>>>>>>>>>> > Many years ago I had a bad PEB System. Almost, if not 
>>>>>>>>>>> every card in the box was bad. I had to run tests on the 
>>>>>>>>>>> cards and replace them one at a time with good cards. 
>>>>>>>>>>> Working on a limited budget, it was one card a month. This 
>>>>>>>>>>> PEB has worked without fail until last week.
>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>> > As I said the other day. It is always nice to have a 
>>>>>>>>>>> second functional TI-99/4A, For whatever reason. Mine was to 
>>>>>>>>>>> run Lottery Numbers.
>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>> you can check the voltage without opening the PEB every 
>>>>>>>>>>> time. Use a tapewriter to lablel the actual tested voltage 
>>>>>>>>>>> and also what it is to represent. This is a pretty simple 
>>>>>>>>>>> task. And... You will be having the PEB open anyway. The 
>>>>>>>>>>> test points will also work with an oscilloscope to check 
>>>>>>>>>>> wave form.
>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>> > And... When the fuse in the transformer blows. Mount a 
>>>>>>>>>>> Fuse Holder on the back of the PEB as well. That way if the 
>>>>>>>>>>> fuse blows again it can be changed without lifting the PEB 
>>>>>>>>>>> cover.
>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>> sent as Jeff got me on the right path. That PEB is taking 
>>>>>>>>>>> out any cards that use the unregulated -18 volts for input 
>>>>>>>>>>> to a -5VDC regulator. In this case the RAVE99 TI Speech 
>>>>>>>>>>> adapter and RS-232 cards. I lost two RAVE99 adapters and one 
>>>>>>>>>>> RS-232 card so far.
>>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>> > > If you have a multimeter handy test for a short on one 
>>>>>>>>>>> or more cards. You can do this by checking the resistance

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:23:48 -0700

This is a "Good news--Bad news" report.  To begin with I'm not sure 
anyone is interested in these reports.  I will write them anyway as a 
log to myself of significant hobby events.  Yesterday was a BAD day and 
the day before was a GOOD day.

Before the GREAT find of my long missing CF7A+ and NanoPEB V 1.0 and 80K 
GramKracker along with TI Workshop (close second to 80K GK as best 
peripheral for these sidecar devices) I was busy loading V9T9 disk 
images to the 2GB CF card that came with my new NanoPEB V 2.0 from Jaime 
Maliling.  Of course, I was bummed out when the serial/COM1 port failed 
after about 30 minutes of operation, and down right pissed off when the 
replacement arrived with the serial port/COM1 dead on arrival.  I don't 
know how many others have NanoPEB V 2.0 and what their experience is 
with it.  I would be interested hearing some GOOD reports on this 
version as I am an advocate for these sidecar units that can help keep 
old and new TI'ers using, at least, one real piece of TI hardware in 
their hobby pursuit.  Really, how many of us had a TI PEB with just a 
few TI clam-shell cards back in the day that they cost real money?  Have 
most of the crowd (?) here switched to emulators only?  Don't get me 
wrong, I gladly used MESS for software development especially the AL 
coding process that would bang the hell out of my old hard drives (MFM & 
SCSI) connected to my TI/Geneve systems.  Admittedly I was mostly 
re-arranging existing AL code (from TI Forth) than writing original AL 
code, as some of you know.  I digress.

I quite enjoy writing software be it in TI BASIC, or X4th99 or dabbling 
in AL, even though my typing skills are diminished by the medication I'm 
taking.  A lot more typos to correct is not devastating (maybe a little 
frustrating) as it is when old PEB cards get damaged even more in my 
hardware repair attempts as yesterday proved to be.  The TI console that 
just got upgraded to F18A 80 column capability started having module 
seating problems--not that I remove the 80K GK very frequently, but 
sometimes I also test some programs I intend to use in my re-discovered 
8K SuperCart first, and in some cases with BCART installed.  This too is 
fun stuff.  Back to the seating problem that deteriorated to the point 
no module or GK would seat, so I was forced to disassemble the TI 
console in an attempt to realign the module port connector.  The process 
went really well considering my inherent eyesight and medicine induced 
difficulties and the fact that I had to remove the power-supply and 
keyboard again just to adjust the module port connector.  During 
re-assembly I constantly tested the module port by inserting & 
re-inserting a little used TI XB module (I think I have 3), and checking 
key movement of the top row of keys on the keyboard.

Re-assembly competed, so I rechecked the module port and keyboard one 
last time before hooking up and powering up.  Switched on NanoPEB then 
TI console and voila TI title screen.  Plugged in TI XB module and got 
reset & TI title screen, pressed space bar and the TI title screen 
remained, so I pressed as many other keys as possible, but the TI title 
screen remained.  Once again, i was sure, i had busted the keyboard from 
it's short little ribbon cable and connector to the TI motherboard, just 
as I had done back in Golden Shores 3 times doing the first F18A 
install.  Back then I wasn't on any medicines just working in a hot 
house of a little over 100 degrees, but I wanted to see the F18A output 
as I knew it would be months after the move before I could even hope to 
do such a hardware project in the new house (new to us).

Back out to the garage to retrieve bag of TI keyboards.  I know which 
box they're in and exactly where that box is, so I'm back inside my room 
quickly going through all the keyboards to determine how many still have 
the ribbon cable and connector attached. Exactly 3, and they're all 
gray. so this black & silver TI console will have a gray keyboard for 
it's remaining life--ugh.  I should have known better than attempt to do 
the keyboard replacement on the same day as my attempt to fix the bad 
module port, bit i did it in an act of what I considered, at the time, 
to be "bravery" rather than "foolishness".  Now the module port is bad , 
and the top row of keys all stick from time to time as tested in TI 
BASIC as no matter how hard I tried to button down the keyboard so the 
upper row of keys would not sticik, they still do anyway.  I'm still 
hoping some brave soul with good hardware skills will volunteer to do 
these hardware repairs for me at a reasonable/fair price.

I guess I jumped into this hardware repair fiasco due to the software 
success I had the day before.  Still using the crippled NanoPEB V 2.0, I 
started adapting and adding TI BASIC programs just for this system 
beginning with a Tursi fixed Winfried Winkler 80 column Editor Assembler 
and MSAVE in GRAM 7 of my GK.  I discovered that when I went to add the 
TIB+ install program MSAVE reported insufficient memory to store it, so 
I decided to store all the other TI BASIC programs in the 8K of RAM at 
 >6000 using BCART, after using that abused TI XB module to merge them 
all into just one large program of less than 8K (imagine telling your PC 
friends that or even Mark Wills for that matter:-) ), and the TIB+ 
install in the 8K of MSAVE along with other TI BASIC programs planned or 
in development.

Hardware wise I'm very sad, but software wise I'm happy, but I would 
prefer to program X4th99 in fig-Forth or parts in AL as the case may be 
than program in TI BASIC, but I believe TIB+ is closer to completion, 
and one area of success is enough to keep me involved even with all the 
frustration caused by the hardware failures, random or of my own 
making.  Until next time, happy TI-ing, and may the Forth be with 
you--fig or TF.  Bill

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 9/25/2013 5:44 PM, Bill R Sullivan wrote:
> NanoPEB V1.0 works well via RS-232 switch with HDX server on PC.  So 
> it becomes the replacement for the NanoPEB V2.0 with bad COM1 port.
>> 4. 80K GramKracker. 
> This is and remains the biggest problem until November when I might 
> have a few extra dollars for hobby stuff.
>>
>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>
>>> signal only), but otherwise works well with the 2GB CF card that 
>>> came with the first unit a little over a week ago, so my hardware 
>>> woes continue.  Not to be out done by TI bobby hardware the 23" flat 
>>> screen used by the F18A powered TI with TI PEB system, and the 
>>> Polish Commodore 1084 Analog RGB 220VAC monitor out in the garage.  
>>> I do have a transformer for it, so useable for SNUG-TI and/or Geneve.
>>>
>>>> Because I didn't find any of the usual buss buffer chips (74LS244 
>>>> OR 74LS245) on this Corcomp Triple-Tech card I pulled all the 64K 
>>>>> In spite of a new lithium battery the Triple-Tech card only gave 
>>>>> me the F18A green & black Logo screen of death and the obnoxious 
>>>>> loud screeching noise.  I put the SPVMC back in and all is well.  
>>>>> This is consistent with my recent history of  bad hardware issues, 
>>>>> so not a surprise.
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>
>>>>>> recall seeing a couple of others along with my very old RCA 20" 
>>>>>> TV that still worked, but now no where to be seen,  I wonder, 
>>>>>> what's going on?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I went through everything (boxes & trunks) that I knew were 
>>>>>> mine.  No high value hobby items; CF7A+/NanoPEB, SNUG-TI 40MB MFM 
>>>>>> hard drive, 80K GramKracker, SuperCart and all my self built Jon 
>>>>>> Guidry carts (16K & up, TF, CF2K+DM2K combo, etc.) six or so.   I 
>>>>>> did find everything except the two Tulin TL240 40MB MFM hard 
>>>>>> drives to re-assemble my old WDS-100 system as I have two Myarc 
>>>>>> Personality cards but just one Western Digital Hard and Floppy 
>>>>>> drive Controller card which fits perfectly with the two 
>>>>>> half-height Tulin drives in the external WDS-100 case that sits 
>>>>>> beneath or on top of a PEB sitting vertically on the power supply 
>>>>>> end.  All the cables are still connected to the WD 1002-05 
>>>>>> controller card.  However it seems I was preparing the WDS-100 
>>>>>> drive case to accommodate two SCSI drives as the case has IN & 
>>>>>> OUT SCSI connectors and cable mounted.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I will decide later which way to go on this project as I have 
>>>>>> half a mind to put a 45 MB half-height MFM drive and a combo 
>>>>>> floppy drive in the WDS-100 case, if I can make the 1.2MB part 
>>>>>> function only as a 300RPM & DSDD 80 track drive.  Something to 
>>>>>> think about during one of my sleepless nights.  I also found 
>>>>>> another TI Speech adapter, only this one is  a Corcomp 
>>>>>> Triple-Tech card.  Has not  been in a PEB since I last lived in 
>>>>>> Texas (1995).  I wonder how the battery for the clock feature 
>>>>>> is?  I'll find out tomorrow.  No, I popped the CR2032 out, and 
>>>>>> she's dead.  I'll have to find the documentation so I can set the 
>>>>>> clock once I replace the battery.  Oh well, 18 years is a wee too 
>>>>>> long for a cheap battery to last, I guess.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Bill, does your HRD16 have a jumper for the battery circuit? 
>>>>>>>> You may need to disconnect battery power for 30 seconds to 
>>>>>>>> uncorrupt the memory chips and then start over with loading the 
>>>>>>>> CorComp ROS or the MYARC ROS. CorComp ROS is the default 
>>>>>>>> ROS for SNUG HRD16..
>>>>>>>> The diskette seems to have been marred for life, but I have 
>>>>>>>> some other recovery methods to try.  The big loss was my 3MB 
>>>>>>>> HRD-16 being wiped out, and so far I have not been able to 
>>>>>>>> restore the individual RAM "drives" to working order with CFG.  
>>>>>>>> They seem to be OK, at first, until I try to copy files to it 
>>>>>>>> or save a BASIC program to it which causes that particular RAM 
>>>>>>>> "drive" to disappear, and one by one I can make everyone of 
>>>>>>>> them disappear in like manner.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> trusted.  Which reminds me that I thought I lost the only 
>>>>>>>> floppy drive in my TI support PC also, but I swapped it out 
>>>>>>>> twice without success.  I may be suffering from all this 
>>>>>>>> medication I'm taking more than I thought.  Any ideas would be 
>>>>>>>>> with Greg McGill my hard drive issue with the working PEB 
>>>>>>>>> (SCSI & IDE) is some what alleviated with a successful RS-232 
>>>>>>>>> Fred Kaal known as HDX this time.  I did use it before for 
>>>>>>>>> just a short time back in Golden Shores with my now missing 
>>>>>>>>> CF7A+/NanoPEB, but never discovered the secret of accessing 
>>>>>>>>> the local USB printer.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> SyQuest EZ135MB drive.  I can see the SCSI CD-ROM drive, but 
>>>>>>>>>> I have to find the software on a SCSI cartridge somewhere 
>>>>>>>>>> before I can test it.  I do have CD-ROM discs for it.  I also 
>>>>>>>>>> have many cartridges for the EZFlyer230MB & EZ135MB drives 
>>>>>>>>>> besides those currently mounted.  Nice to even see the 
>>>>>>>>>> backups I made just before departing Poland late 1997.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> safe as I can be, but I derive a lot of my hobby fun by 
>>>>>>>>>>> using the real hardware.
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> those devices were designed to function for much longer 
>>>>>>>>>>>> than a quarter century.
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> Why constantly invite a headache almost every time the 
>>>>>>>>>>>> older electronic equipment has current applied to it?
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> to tell me she was coming back to this area for a visit, 
>>>>>>>>>>>> and asked if it would be convenient for us to meet during 
>>>>>>>>>>>> her time here. Apparently I was distracted enough that I 
>>>>>>>>>>>> didn't test everything according to plan. Powering up the 
>>>>>>>>>>>> PEB popped several circuit breakers, but the slow-blow fuse 
>>>>>>>>>>>> in the PEB wasn't fast enough to save my SAMS card, but 
>>>>>>>>>>>> that does seem to be the extent of the damage done, as most 
>>>>>>>>>>>> all the other cards seem to be functioning well. More 
>>>>>>>>>>>> development as the spare SAMS is working. as well as the 
>>>>>>>>>>>> 3MB HRD-16 (user CALLS are fine), and the HSGPL as well, 
>>>>>>>>>>>> but IDE and SCSI are not working, yet, and I only have one 
>>>>>>>>>>>> slot left for RS-232 or TI Speech. Depends on which one I 
>>>>>>>>>>>> get fixed first; the RAVE99 adapter if Radio Shack has the 
>>>>>>>>>>>> 7905 & 15 ohm 1 watt resistor (I can make do with parallel 
>>>>>>>>>>>> 1/2 watt 30 ohm resistors as there is room enough). I have 
>>>>>>>>>>>> another TI RS-232 card from my time in Poland that I need 
>>>>>>>>>>>> to restore the 7805 & 7812 for normal TI power use. The 
>>>>>>>>>>>> Myarc 80 track FDC is having a problem with the 3.5" DSDD 
>>>>>>>>>>>> 80 track drive (DSK2.) The FDC, drive and cables were moved 
>>>>>>>>>>>> installed my more useful TI system cards in the SNUG-TI 
>>>>>>>>>>>> PEB. I say more useful only because I don't have a monitor 
>>>>>>>>>>>> to support the SNUG-TI or Geneve 9938 VDP right now, but 
>>>>>>>>>>>> I'm working on that also.
>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>> cure, but they seem to be minor issues that I will attend 
>>>>>>>>>>>> to one by one. and based on availabe spare cards/parts or 
>>>>>>>>>>>> alternative solutions. I will report progress to all 
>>>>>>>>>>>> on-line periodically.
>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>> > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>> second functional TI-99/4A, For whatever reason. Mine was 
>>>>>>>>>>>> to run Lottery Numbers.
>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>> > And... If needed, our friend Kyle does have most of the 
>>>>>>>>>>>> TI Test Disks. I would imagine you already do have the Test 
>>>>>>>>>>>> Disks as well.
>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>> adapter and RS-232 cards. I lost two RAVE99 adapters and 
>>>>>>>>>>>> one RS-232 card so far.
>>>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>> > > Also If memory serves correctly, one of the LS244 
>>>>>>>>>>>> buffer chips has an INT line that when blown will hang the 
>>>>>>>>>>>> system. It usually manifests itself in the RS232 cards as 
>>>>>>>>>>>> they use the interrupt line in the PEB. The short can be 
>>>>>>>>>>>> caused by rocking a card within the PEB though it is not 
>>>>>>>>>>>> the only possible culprit.
>>>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>> testing all your cards with varying equipment at least 
>>>>>>>>>>>> until you rule out a short.
>>>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>> same exact way. Yes, I know about the circuitry at both 
>>>>>>>>>>>> ends of the TI Flex Cable Interface.
>>>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>> > > Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>>>>>>>>>>>> > >
>>>>>>>>>>>> > > Have you checked the Interface Card & the hidden 
>>>>>>>>>>>> Circuit Card inside the end of the 'elephant' cable that 
>>>>>>>>>>>> connects to the Interface Card?
>>>>>>>>>>>> > >

---

From: Jeff White <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 15:27:11 -0400

Your troubles make ours seem piddling, Bill.  Hope things work out.

Jeff White

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 16:03:33 -0400

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>wrote:

> **
>
>
>
>      I don't know how many others have NanoPEB V 2.0 and what their
> experience is with it.
>

I have one and am VERY happy with it.

---

From: Gregory McGill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 13:39:01 -0700

Me too..zero problems

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 14:54:57 -0700

Very glad to hear this as I was very concerned about this version due to 
my two unit experience.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 10/4/2013 1:03 PM, Barry Peterson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Bill R Sullivan 
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>
>          I don't know how many others have NanoPEB V 2.0 and what
>     their experience is with it.
>

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 14:56:59 -0700

Two GOOD reports versus my two BAD reports.  I need a few more to break 
the tie, please.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 10/4/2013 1:39 PM, Gregory McGill wrote:
> Me too..zero problems
>
>
> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Barry Peterson 
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>

---

From: Barry Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 18:19:30 -0400

> Two GOOD reports versus my two BAD reports.  I need a few more to break

 Actually, I own three (although I can't find one CF7+)

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 16:12:59 -0700

I, too, own three; one CF7A+, one NanoPEB V 1.0 and one NanoPEB V 2.0.  
My question only concerns the reliability and functioning of COM1 on the 
NanoPEB V 2.0 as my CF7A+ and NanoPEB have worked well for several years 
or more. Even after spending a year in a very hot garage.

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 10/4/2013 3:19 PM, Barry Peterson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Bill R Sullivan 
>     Two GOOD reports versus my two BAD reports.  I need a few more to
>     break the tie, please.
>

---

From: Gregory McGill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 16:26:16 -0700

I'd think maybe your rs232 port is zapping it?  bad port?

Greg

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>wrote:

> **
>
>
> I, too, own three; one CF7A+, one NanoPEB V 1.0 and one NanoPEB V 2.0.  My
> question only concerns the reliability and functioning of COM1 on the
> NanoPEB V 2.0 as my CF7A+ and NanoPEB have worked well for several years or
> more.  Even after spending a year in a very hot garage.
>
> Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>
>   On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]
> > wrote:
>
>>
>>

---

From: Bill R Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 16:55:20 -0700

My NanoPEB V 1.0 uses the same TI console, power, cable, serial switch 
box position, PC, and running HDX server.  It's still working flawlessly 
after hours of operation transferring files in both directions.  The 
other serial switch box position serves my standard TI w/TI PEB system 
which was working well until I took the monitor and TI console for my 
CF7A+/NanoPEB/TI support PC workstation..

Bill R Sullivan (fdos)

On 10/4/2013 4:26 PM, Gregory McGill wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Bill R Sullivan 
>     I, too, own three; one CF7A+, one NanoPEB V 1.0 and one NanoPEB V
>     2.0.  My question only concerns the reliability and functioning of
>     COM1 on the NanoPEB V 2.0 as my CF7A+ and NanoPEB have worked well
>     for several years or more.  Even after spending a year in a very
>     hot garage.
>
>     Bill R Sullivan (fdos)
>
>>         Two GOOD reports versus my two BAD reports. I need a few more
>>         to break the tie, please.
>>